2 2D-Game Ideas

Re: 2 2D-Game Ideas

Postby Sauer2 » 11 May 2010, 00:04

An alternative style.. what do you think?
Attachments
egg2.png
cc0
egg2.png (1.16 KiB) Viewed 17907 times
egg2.svg
(18.55 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
Sauer2

Postby qubodup » 11 May 2010, 10:06

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:An alternative style.. what do you think?

I think it could use a dark border, following the rule "dark borders for stuff player has to notice, light borders for stuff in the background" (not sure this makes sense).

I think it would be cool to allow the player select an egg style at game start. Or assign them a random egg at game start (I'd prefer selection, but random is easier to implement).

Btw: I recommend putting the svg files in git. They serve as the art's source.

Do you know what you will program next?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Sauer2 » 11 May 2010, 11:46

Ok, I made four eggs the player can choose from.
Part 1 (because only 5 attachments are allowed)
Attachments
egg3.png
egg3.png (1.14 KiB) Viewed 17897 times
egg2.svg
(18.63 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
egg2.png
egg2.png (1.16 KiB) Viewed 17897 times
egg.svg
(3.62 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
egg.png
everything cc0
egg.png (1.6 KiB) Viewed 17897 times
Sauer2

Postby Sauer2 » 11 May 2010, 12:04

Part 2 and the block svg.

About the svg files: I think I better put them on opengameart and refer to its site on github. Is that OK with you? (Since You made much stuff, :!: )

Because
a) I don't want to lose track about the files and
b) I want to keep the amount as small as possible, because I want to make another repository after this game.(Or is it 0.3 GB per repository?)

Guess I will continue programming the selection scene. It doesn't seem like a real menu is necessary.
But before, there is the coin, that needs to be recreated. Or, since you don't want to collect things, what stuff could there be else the player has to avoid?
Attachments
block.svg
(13.42 KiB) Downloaded 608 times
egg4.svg
(25 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
egg4.png
egg4.png (1.93 KiB) Viewed 17896 times
egg3.svg
(18.63 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
Sauer2

Postby qubodup » 11 May 2010, 14:54

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:a) I don't want to lose track about the files

How would you lose track? You mean different versions? Well, I recommend uploading different versions of the svgs, unless the older version of the file is completely useless ;)

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:b) I want to keep the amount as small as possible, because I want to make another repository after this game.(Or is it 0.3 GB per repository?)

It's per project. Don't worry about space.

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:But before, there is the coin, that needs to be recreated. Or, since you don't want to collect things, what stuff could there be else the player has to avoid?

I'm cool with collecting stuff, I only don't like those "catch or lose" games. :) I'm perfectly fine with picking up coins if not picking them up won't kill you.

PS: I'm ok with the OGA solution as well :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Sauer2 » 11 May 2010, 15:06

the 2nd version..
Attachments
egg4.svg
(24.65 KiB) Downloaded 490 times
egg4.png
egg4.png (1.57 KiB) Viewed 17891 times
Sauer2

Postby qubodup » 11 May 2010, 16:42

qubodup {l Wrote}:
Sauer2 {l Wrote}:b) I want to keep the amount as small as possible, because I want to make another repository after this game.(Or is it 0.3 GB per repository?)

It's per project. Don't worry about space.

It seems I was wrong, see https://github.com/account#profile_bucket

I still think there's no need to worry though. The sizes of svg files are ridiculously small and you can get more space by just asking.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Sauer2 » 11 May 2010, 16:56

OK. I already put them to opengameart, but the compressing concept of git seems to work very efficient. :cool:
Sauer2

Postby Sauer2 » 12 May 2010, 23:41

A simple selection scene for the egg is done.
Sauer2

Postby qubodup » 13 May 2010, 02:28

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:A simple selection scene for the egg is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXHXYMA2zVo

Very nice, the moving of the egg to the center is good.

I have two suggestions:

1. Add an indicator that one of the eggs needs to be picked. "Pick your egg!" at the top should do it. Do you want to use fonts in the game? That's the way it should be done, but it might be annoyingly complicated, compared to using images.

2. Have a transition between selection and game start. You could fade into the scenery, but I think that might look bad. Instead I recommend that after picking the egg, clouds etc. get rendered outside of the screen and then move into the screen.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Sauer2 » 13 May 2010, 14:12

Transition is done. I guess, I'll make a sign later, after cleaning everything a bit up and maybe introduce cmake or a script to compile.

BTW: I removed the coin, because, collecting them for score.. :? ...naaaah. I better add other obstacles like anchors, safes, rockets, cans, etc..
Sauer2

Postby qubodup » 13 May 2010, 16:00

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:[...] maybe introduce cmake or a script to compile.

Thumbs up to that!

I like how the clouds & birds move into the screen.

Having the mouse moved by the computer is very very annoying however. I assume you want the position of the egg to be defined by the mouse position - I would like to advise against that, as controls would be differ between mouse sensitivities. Instead I suggest a "move the player thing to where the mouse is" control system and additionally an arrow keys control system. What do you think?

I can think of one more thing: how about having the other eggs (not selected) fade out (very quickly, about 0.5 or 0.25 seconds).

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:BTW: I removed the coin, because, collecting them for score.. :? ...naaaah. I better add other obstacles like anchors, safes, rockets, cans, etc..

Well.. I suppose that I find most top-down etc. scrolling games rather boring, the only two exceptions are Gamma Bros, because it has a lot of variety and cuteness and good music and sound and graphics and Giraffe Attack, because it is hilarious and has good music and is too short to get annoying. Both have good controls.

What are your inspiration-givers? What kind of game would you like?

It might be possible to create a fun game by having multiple levels with different gameplay: 1. Evade, 2. Evade + Shoot stuff 3. Evade + Collect 4. Evade + Shoot + Collect 5. RAM EVERYTHING (optional: with mini-bosses in-between). Does this sound ok? Or would you rather do one thing and one thing well?

Do you have any plot ideas? I could write some more about this crazy evil mastermind and crazy good doctor professor whatever if you want, I'm just afraid we might over-design and over-plot the game until it becomes insanely complicated to develop :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Sauer2 » 13 May 2010, 18:14

qubodup {l Wrote}:Thumbs up to that!

It's about time, isn't it? :D

qubodup {l Wrote}:Having the mouse moved by the computer is very very annoying however. I assume you want the position of the egg to be defined by the mouse position - I would like to advise against that, as controls would be differ between mouse sensitivities. Instead I suggest a "move the player thing to where the mouse is" control system and additionally an arrow keys control system. What do you think?

Same difference, this more a temporary solution, since I would have to make the game computer speed independent (some freaky stuff with delta time), which I planned to do in the end. But you are totally right, direct mouse control sucks, apart from some special games.

qubodup {l Wrote}:I can think of one more thing: how about having the other eggs (not selected) fade out (very quickly, about 0.5 or 0.25 seconds).

Not sure If that is short termed possible.. :think: What about all four eggs fading + the chosen moving egg instead?

qubodup {l Wrote}:
What are your inspiration-givers? What kind of game would you like?

It might be possible to create a fun game by having multiple levels with different gameplay: 1. Evade, 2. Evade + Shoot stuff 3. Evade + Collect 4. Evade + Shoot + Collect 5. RAM EVERYTHING (optional: with mini-bosses in-between). Does this sound ok? Or would you rather do one thing and one thing well?

Do you have any plot ideas? I could write some more about this crazy evil mastermind and crazy good doctor professor whatever if you want, I'm just afraid we might over-design and over-plot the game until it becomes insanely complicated to develop :)

About the game, maybe I add some more game objects, e.g. flipper bumpers, but I wanted to keep to keep the game rather short (like, 6 levels?) and straight forward.

About the plot, see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7VAhzPcZ-s

I mean, it's a bit arrogant, offending and only half-true, there are games that I also love for their great plot and visuals and music, for example Samorost and part 2 and Machinarium. But on the other way, arcade games like Enough Plumbers and so 'falling' don't need that. So we better not stick around with the plot. ;)
Sauer2

Postby qubodup » 13 May 2010, 18:50

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:
qubodup {l Wrote}:I can think of one more thing: how about having the other eggs (not selected) fade out (very quickly, about 0.5 or 0.25 seconds).

Not sure If that is short termed possible.. :think: What about all four eggs fading + the chosen moving egg instead?

You mean all four fade and a copy of the chosen one moves to the center? I think that would look bad. I think my suggestion would also look bad. If you want, you could make the other eggs leave the screen by moving to the edges (rather quickly) but it's really not important. Letting them just disappear is OK.

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:About the game, maybe I add some more game objects, e.g. flipper bumpers, but I wanted to keep to keep the game rather short (like, 6 levels?) and straight forward.

Ok, so we'll concentrate on making a "evade stuff" game and will discuss new mechanics on the spot. :) Simple, I like that.

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:About the plot, see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7VAhzPcZ-s
[...]
So we better not stick around with the plot. ;)

I think a plot might have been nice, but I agree that not having one is the better solution. :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Sauer2 » 13 May 2010, 19:08

A simple (that means: cd to falling and gcc with all the several hundred of parameters) build script is in the directory now.
Maybe you need to make it executable, depends on how paranoid linux is really. ;)
Sauer2

Postby qubodup » 13 May 2010, 19:21

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:A simple (that means: cd to falling and gcc with all the several hundred of parameters) build script is in the directory now.
Maybe you need to make it executable, depends on how paranoid linux is really. ;)

The following line is superfluous. It only works if you have checked out falling to ~/falling.
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
cd ~/falling

Are you on linux? you would have to make it executable using `chmod +x fileName`.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Sauer2 » 13 May 2010, 19:40

'~' is the home directory, usually git places the checkout folder there, so if someone just types /falling/compile.sh it still works.
The script is already made executable, but I'm not sure if Linux or git or your browser make it unexecutable like some browsers seem to do for security reasons :!:
Sauer2

Postby qubodup » 13 May 2010, 19:55

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:'~' is the home directory, usually git places the checkout folder there

Git clones a repository to a directory by the name of the repository, relative to the working directory, which by default is ~.

The script is already made executable.
Ah, I didn't check out when I commented, so I didn't realize. No, git does not eliminate the executable state of a file.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Sauer2 » 13 May 2010, 20:01

qubodup {l Wrote}:
Sauer2 {l Wrote}:'~' is the home directory, usually git places the checkout folder there

Git clones a repository to a directory by the name of the repository, relative to the working directory, which by default is ~.

Err..I meaned cloned folder. Do you a way to read out the git working directory via bash?
Sauer2

Postby qubodup » 13 May 2010, 21:39

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:Err..I meaned cloned folder. Do you a way to read out the git working directory via bash?

I wouldn't know how. You should just assume that the user has cd to that dir.

For you convenience, I would copy that script you use to ~/.local/bin/ or create a link somewhere on your computer.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Sauer2 » 14 May 2010, 18:34

Does someone has an idea where the 21 % C++ came from? :?
http://github.com/Sauer2/falling/graphs/languages
Sauer2

Postby qubodup » 14 May 2010, 23:48

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:Does someone has an idea where the 21 % C++ came from? :?
http://github.com/Sauer2/falling/graphs/languages

maybe the github forum can help
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Sauer2 » 15 May 2010, 23:45

It's about the .h files, github recognises them as C++. Goddamnit, what are .hpp files for.
Sauer2

Postby Sauer2 » 24 May 2010, 14:47

TeKKub solved the problem. :)

I tried to make the game resource independent. This works overall okay, but there are big glitches sometimes. Any idea why?
Sauer2

Postby Sauer2 » 25 May 2010, 14:46

So, a way to make the movement better was thanks to alapshin implemented.
@qubodup: Could you try, if it works independent from your computers speed?
Sauer2