Resource Systems in Games - A Master Thesis

Resource Systems in Games - A Master Thesis

Postby Torellion » 16 Apr 2012, 09:56

We are 2 students studying for a Master's Degree in 'Media Technologies and Games Design' at the Copenhagen IT University.
We are currently working on resource systems in games. Part of the thesis work is creating a tool for formalizing and analyzing resource systems, a subject on which very little research has been done. This research can also be used as inspiration for designing resource systems when creating new games.

For this purpose, we have created a Wiki that contains information about our project and a tool for analyzing game resources. We hope it might help inspire your work when designing games.

Wiki link: https://resourcesingames.wikispaces.com/

You are welcome to give feedback by using the questionnaire at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... bzYyN0E6MQ

Thanks for your contribution
Tróndur (tjus@itu.dk) & Peter (pras@itu.dk)
Torellion

Re: Resource Systems in Games - A Master Thesis

Postby xahodo » 18 Apr 2012, 20:49

Great idea, however, your definition does not cover armor and cursed items (for example), while these do influence actions.
xahodo

Re: Resource Systems in Games - A Master Thesis

Postby Cacatoes » 18 Jun 2012, 22:00

Attempt could have been interesting but,

- no news ?
- I believe written textual analysis of gameplay/resources in games could be, at the point of the study, more relevant than tabs with classified infos in it. I got a bit lost in them since I don't get the meaningful infos out of it, while I like the "playtesting" part and read about how a game is made and how it specifically manages resources. I also wished you could have a broader selection of games. Opensource ones ? + The latest commercial-grade may not necessarily be the most relevant to study the question. What about good ol' Civilization ? Stats in a AD&D RPG ? (Didn't think much but that kind of culture seems essential to define your archetypes afterwards)

Not an easy task so good luck if you're still at it.

What this question evokes to me is the trend towards simplifying management of some modern games (which means: less ressources, or artificial complexity)
Cacatoes