Scone: a social strategy game

Scone: a social strategy game

Postby Brendan_ » 14 Oct 2011, 21:03

Hi all. I'm Brendan, and I've played RPGs for, well, most of my life.

There are many great RPGs, ones that I've absolutely loved and have influenced how I see games forever-- TES II: Daggerfall for instance.

But over the years, I've gotten bored with what RPGs have been: games focused on character progression, with a nod toward letting you pick who that character is and even less to who that character is to the rest of the world.

When I envision what a "role-playing game" should be, I see something different.
I think the game should be focused on letting me play a role, one that I invent, and that is more concerned with my place in the world relative to the people in it than to any "beastiary" or to a scale of maximum possible stats or a list of unique items to collect. I think we come to tolerate these kinds of mechanics, settling for payouts while waiting for the game to again become fun in its own right.

It's a bit of a departure, and I'm looking for people to take it with me and some friends I'm already working with.

What I'm working on is, as the title says, something I'm calling a social strategy game (no sense competing with 40 years of gaming heritage for the name "RPG"). I've been writing up a description to share, and published it on Google Docs.
Scone Game Idea

Every game needs a great vision for what it can be. But it also needs realistic goals, ones based on what you can actually do (and that challenge you to push the envelope of what you thought yourself capable of pulling off). So our first step is a prototype, something to test the idea that our "core gameplay loop" is fun-- the actions that the player will be doing over and over while progressing through the game. I'm excited to see how it goes, but we will need to hook up with a someone who not only likes our idea but can also script up a little text-based test of the idea.
Scone Prototype 1

Thanks for reading. I appreciate any feedback. :)
Brendan_

Re: Scone: a social strategy game

Postby farcodev » 04 Dec 2011, 07:51

Hehe in clear to put a tabletop (or real) RPG into the PC :)

Good luck in your project !
farcodev

Postby Brendan_ » 04 Dec 2011, 08:27

Thanks! I appreciate the support.
Brendan_

Postby farcodev » 04 Dec 2011, 20:21

no problems :)
farcodev

Postby qubodup » 04 Dec 2011, 23:14

I'm curious to know what role godhead (aka dungeonhack) and its team plays in this.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Brendan_ » 05 Dec 2011, 09:26

First off, I have an amazingly loyal group of supporters, and I can't thank them enough.

Scone is currently at a scale too small to need a whole team, and I'm learning very basic coding to make a prototype. A real programmer taking interest would be a godsend but not something I'm going to sit and wait for.
Life is chaotic with my tour in Afghanistan ending and making new living arrangements while hunting for my next real-life (paid) adventure. There will be little progress until I'm settled in.

qubodup, in three weeks I'm going to be in Germany. And every time you mention a project that I loved but didn't work out, it's like mentioning an ex-girlfriend. So I'm going to find you and make you buy me a beer for each time you bring this up, freund! :)
Brendan_

Postby xahodo » 05 Apr 2012, 19:04

You're looking at a very complicated game to put together. First it would be a good idea to research psychology properly to uncover how the human mind ticks and how it is able to dysfunction and what effects that dysfunction has.

A psychopath might have a different reply to your approaches then a normal person. So, if you want to avoid attributes I'd go with personality traits. Traits don't have to be known to the character in question.

In essence everybody develops an idea of others based on the compatibility of ideas and facts. This means you need to have a cloud of ideas and facts with relational links to other ideas and facts. Now, each relation needs a different modifier for all related traits. Wine and beds don't have any relation, for example; but tables and dishes do.

It's also wise to track a history of each and every person, as a person's history can influence how a person responds to certain ideas.
xahodo