My new game idea: Physics platformer

My new game idea: Physics platformer

Postby wizard » 13 Sep 2011, 18:57

I will make a 2D sidescrolling physics based platform game.

You will run around and jump on things and there will be springs and wheels that turn with your weight and stuff.

I would love to collaborate with anyone who is interested!

I will get something programmed and working in Java by next week.
wizard

Re: My new game idea: Physics platformer

Postby qubodup » 13 Sep 2011, 19:17

/me waits for prototype
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Brendan_ » 12 Oct 2011, 14:16

Things often take longer than planned in FOSS, and elsewhere.

Without some other compelling appeal to the idea, it sounds like the bare mechanics of Sonic without really anything new to say. Aside from the prototype code, I think potential contributors will need you to have some more thoughts on what makes running around jumping on springs and gravity-powered wheels fun.

With Sonic, there was a challenge in picking from multiple paths and working out the optimal mix of speed-to-completion, rings collected, and enemies killed to achieve the highest score. Then there were the layers of attitude and appealing visuals, plus the enjoyment of maneuvering the character through obstacles and devices (which is the one thing your post points to now).

What games inspire you and have ideas worth stealing? Are there any themes you want to explore or should it be a "pure" experience of running and jumping? What does physics add to this experience?
Brendan_

Postby devnewton » 26 Sep 2012, 09:33

wizard {l Wrote}:I will make a 2D sidescrolling physics based platform game.

You will run around and jump on things and there will be springs and wheels that turn with your weight and stuff.

I would love to collaborate with anyone who is interested!

I will get something programmed and working in Java by next week.

I've made a game similar to what you describe ( http://devnewton.bci.im/projects/newton_adventure ), maybe we can collaborate on this subject?
devnewton