My game idea: Wizards

My game idea: Wizards

Postby wizard » 03 Sep 2011, 07:06

Hi everyone, I want to talk about my game idea: Wizards.

The universe is made up of rooms which are grids with objects on them, and they are joined by wormholes which transport you from one room to another.

There can only be one wizard in a room at a time. They can exit a room by going through a wormhole (if there is not a wizard in that room) or by creating a new wormhole where they are. The wizards can edit a room by moving things around, putting things down, they can also cast spells: spells are actually scripts that can bring objects to life by programming them (spells can only run at a certain rate depending on how much magic power the wizard that created it has). It would be possible to send magical objects through wormholes.

Spells need magic power to run and I have no figured out how people will gain magic power yet.

What do you think? Like to hear your ideas!
wizard

Re: My game idea: Wizards

Postby FreakNigh » 03 Sep 2011, 11:11

Actually I had a very similar idea. A basically endless "grid world" where people could run around to the world blocks and populate them themselves. However I was going to charge $1 per room ;p.
FreakNigh

Postby TheAncientGoat » 03 Sep 2011, 12:02

Sounds cool, and it would be perfectly suited to Syntensity/Octaforge, which already has that functionality built in (Grid/Cube based, in-game editing)
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Brendan_ » 12 Oct 2011, 14:02

You've done a good job explaining the simplified universe for this game, and some basic mechanics.

I'm guessing the appeal of going from room to room is something like that of moving through a gallery and seeing what is in there, with the twist that the visitors are the artists. The results could easily be the same type as Chat Roulette.

The only challenges are "what to create?" and "how do I get to another room?" Knowing human nature, it would be worth exploring whether to try preventing groups of players from blocking all exits to a room another player is in. Or, for that matter, blocking access to a specific room players want to go to by being in all worm-adjoining rooms.
Brendan_

Postby xahodo » 06 May 2013, 22:35

What I would like for scripting is that the script commands are represented by shapes and need to be fit together in order to create more complex shapes. Some shapes could contain expressions, others evaluations, yet others actions. Some shapes can contain other shapes (perhaps even recursively).

Now here's the catch: the shapes you use cannot overlap in your final construct. Perhaps the final surface of the spell is a n-sided die, the number of sides determined by the power of your wizard, each side only able to hold a restricted amount of elements.

Or perhaps 3 powers can be used:
  • Symbols (the maximum number of spells you can handle at the same time)
  • Complexity (the number of shapes allowed per spell, nice touch: each shape could have its own sound, making a spell being executed create a composition).
  • Shape (the number of spells allowed per room)

Each level your wizard gains could give a point, forcing the player to choose what direction to go."level" could also be interpreted as "kill", "rooms visited", etc.

Ok, quite garbled. I hope this is useful.
xahodo