Bound.

Bound.

Postby dupertux34 » 15 Apr 2022, 12:30

So i thought of making a game called bound, the story is a bit unfinished but here you go, !! SPOILERS !!
One day, the player (with the name of Bound) was doing his daily things, until he got captured, he realized that after he opened his eyes, he sees himself in a company called "Aliens. Co." and he is stuck in a machine, they told him to close his eyes, he felt alot of pain until he realized that he is split, and he has a clone of him that does everything he does, he realizes that he is back in his home, so you must kill all the pesky aliens and help Bo and und (he split)
But its a little hard to think of what bound would look like, who is the main character, etc.. so if you can help please do so
dupertux34

Re: Bound.

Postby PeterX » 15 Apr 2022, 13:35

Will it be a puzzle-platformer like "Me and my shadow"
https://sourceforge.net/projects/meandmyshadow/

or will it be an adventure?

Maybe with a top-down view?

If adventure then I think about this:
- Bound is the main char
- he looks like a normal boy from the neighbourhood
- game starts in Bound's office where several items are (more ot less hidden in drawers etc.) including something usable as a weapon
- behind the room's exit door lurks an alien

Edit:
1.) For which operating system
2.) Which license(s)
3.) Using which programming language/development tool/engine?

Greetings
Peter
PeterX

Postby dupertux34 » 15 Apr 2022, 16:17

Its for BSD (if i can), Windows, macOS, and Linux, its going to be under GPL v2, and it uses Godot.
Also currently Bound uses dashing, with different powerups that help him dash. also i thought of a useless "Invisible" one, intended as a joke
Also, i think of it more like this :
Bound is in the streets walking, so a streets level
When he walks for a little bit he smashes into a "human"
He kidnaps him (he is a alien btw)
He takes him to alien co
the rest of the story continues
dupertux34

Postby PeterX » 15 Apr 2022, 16:35

Sounds good so far :)

Maybe if you develop it slowly, you won't need help.

Will you draw the graphics yourself? If not then you can search for art at https://opengameart.org

Greetings
Peter
PeterX

Postby dupertux34 » 15 Apr 2022, 16:39

PeterX {l Wrote}:Sounds good so far :)

Maybe if you develop it slowly, you won't need help.

Will you draw the graphics yourself? If not then you can search for art at https://opengameart.org

Greetings
Peter

I can draw some of the stuff (like tiles), but the player i don't really know about how to make humans in pixel art, so i may use opengameart or just ask here (like in the Art subforum)
Also the game is not like me and my shadow, its like you have two players, and the controls are the same for them, so if i move player 1 left, player 2 will move left
dupertux34

Postby PeterX » 15 Apr 2022, 16:58

Sounds like you have a plan :)

I'm eager to see the game.

Greetings
Peter
PeterX

Postby dupertux34 » 15 Apr 2022, 17:04

PeterX {l Wrote}:Sounds like you have a plan :)

I'm eager to see the game.

Greetings
Peter

I made an alien in LibreSprite, He is unnamed, also we should probably name them :
Attachments
unnamedalien.png
unnamedalien.png (548 Bytes) Viewed 5327 times
dupertux34

Postby PeterX » 15 Apr 2022, 17:26

Nice one!

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly about bashing. Does that mean it's a platformer?

Greetings
Peter
PeterX

Postby dupertux34 » 15 Apr 2022, 17:27

PeterX {l Wrote}:Nice one!

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly about bashing. Does that mean it's a platformer?

Greetings
Peter

I'ts a platformer yes, also if one of your players dies, you die too
dupertux34

Postby PeterX » 15 Apr 2022, 17:35

Great!

I would recommend to make the first level before planning other levels. Because:
a) You have more fun and motivation that way
b) You can attract other developers better with something you can show.
But that is just a suggestion.

Greetings
Peter
PeterX

Postby dupertux34 » 06 May 2022, 13:11

I gave up on the idea, it sounded too silly because whats the point of two characters? and it may look really bad because of my limited knowledge.
dupertux34

Postby PeterX » 06 May 2022, 14:03

dupertux34 {l Wrote}:I gave up on the idea, it sounded too silly because whats the point of two characters? and it may look really bad because of my limited knowledge.

There's nothing silly about your idea. And limited knowledge is more common among programmers than you would think.

But it's perfectly ok to give up.

Greetings
Peter
PeterX

Postby bzt » 06 May 2022, 15:27

PeterX {l Wrote}:There's nothing silly about your idea. And limited knowledge is more common among programmers than you would think.
I agree with PeterX on both accounts.

The idea is not silly at all. If you don't know what's the point of the two characters, just come up with some twist added to the background story. Use your imagination, you can do it.

About limited programmer knowledge, I used to be a university teacher and later I was a head of an IT development department for years. So you can believe me when I say from first hand experience, PeterX is right about that too. Not knowing everything from the beginning shouldn't stop you, you can learn and pick up things on the way. (Actually the best way to gain programmer knowledge is through practice.)

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby Technopeasant » 24 May 2022, 04:57

If limited programming skill is an impediment, then I would seriously suggest checking out GDevelop. It is event driven and drag-and-drop and entirely free under the MIT license.

Even with my not inconsiderable programming knowledge, I found it way easier to get started with than Godot.

https://gdevelop.io/

As for artwork, well, that is a whole other kettle of fish, but Opengameart and Openclipart are your friend.
Technopeasant