Mechcraft

Mechcraft

Postby Skorpio » 15 Jun 2011, 12:40

I mentioned this a couple of times in the comments of the blog, more as a joke, but I actually think this would be an awesome game: A mecha game with the graphics of 3D Dot Game Heroes, customizable mechs and destructible environment. The gameplay could be similar to Enemy Territory or Team Fortress, but something like Minecraft with RPG elements would be cool as well. So I created a mindmap (attached) with FreeMind to flesh out my ideas. If I could program, I would be working on it already. ;)

Here's a render of a test dotmech :) :
Dotmech.jpg

Edit: I think a simple jpg is more convenient than to d/l FreeMind :
Mechcraft.jpeg
(*exceeded not succeeded) ;)
Attachments
Mechcraft.zip
(2 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Re: Mechcraft

Postby oln » 15 Jun 2011, 14:21

This could be a really cool game. Especially if one could e.g blast off parts of the enemy robot. Maybe there would be shield blocks as well.
oln

Postby Skorpio » 15 Jun 2011, 14:56

That's exactly what I want. You could even try to target special weapon systems or engines to slow the enemy down. Of course the blocks should be able to take some hits before they fall off, and some blocks should get destroyed in combat so that the enemy can't simply steal a whole weapon from your mech.

I'll add shield blocks and invisibility blocks to the mindmap.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 18 Jun 2011, 10:35

I forgot to mention that there's already a FOSS dotmodeler: http://www.shionn.org/dotmodeler

It's just a modeler if I understood that french correctly, but maybe it could be used to create a game engine.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Brendan_ » 12 Oct 2011, 12:51

Any developments?
Brendan_

Postby NalydRelwof » 26 Dec 2011, 18:40

I WANT THIS! Sounds kinda like Chromehounds in the way the classes and constructing are done, and as a fan of that game (before Sega killed it) I'd definitely play this if it were developed for Linux as well as Windows/Mac.
NalydRelwof