Any Open source 3D Skateboarding game Projects?

Any Open source 3D Skateboarding game Projects?

Postby LedInfrared » 27 May 2011, 19:29

Anyone Interested in starting an 3D Open source Skateboarding game project along the lines of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater?

I loved the games and I always had ideas for levels and gameplay, but I'm kinda surprised that there hasn't been any real attempt to capture the gameplay into an Open source(let alone freeware) project.

The things that the project would need are Mappers, modelers/animators , and most importantly; Engine Coders. I'm willing to help in most ways that I can. (Mapping/levels, gameplay plans/ideas, testing, etc..)

I'd also like to hear other peoples ideas and input too.
LedInfrared

Re: Any Open source 3D Skateboarding game Projects?

Postby Julius » 27 May 2011, 22:55

Not really into skate board games, but this is probably something that could be done quite well with the Blender game engine, since it is so tightly integrated with the Bullet physics library (and all the 3rd person controls etc are already existing from the Yo franky 3D platformer open game project).

However I would probably wait for the logic brick rewrite tat is planned for this summer under Googles summer of code project.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby qubodup » 28 May 2011, 22:12

@LedInfrared: the latest version of http://code.google.com/p/irrlamb/ has a skate-hall-style level. Perhaps this physics-based ball game could serve as a base?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby LedInfrared » 03 Mar 2013, 11:34

Here is a project I found: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openshred/
OpenShred is a project to build a modular, 3D skateboarding game that runs on a variety of platforms and designed to be easy to build content for. The engine is being written in C#/.NET (specifically Mono) with a basic GLFW/OpenGL binding as a default renderer/input system.

Core principles:
• Realism is irrelevant. Given the choice between realistic and fun, or realistic and simple, pick the latter. Capture the essence of skateboarding, not the intricacies or maths.

• Keep controls simple. Accessible gaming is fun gaming.

• Design for local split screen multiplayer from the start.

• Content production should be as painless as possible with an established, simple pipeline using open formats so almost anyone can build parks and add gameplay features.
LedInfrared

Postby devnewton » 03 Mar 2013, 14:22

This post reminds me an excellent nes game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r50jJoimpR4
devnewton