Opendungeons : New Game Editor

Opendungeons : New Game Editor

Postby paul424 » 02 Mar 2020, 09:32

I post here , because for now I am the only active left from OD team, and no one would care if I post in our forum :
Hello , as in title I seek new ideas for a game editor, to recall : the game is Tile based. What game editor should contain , what tools would make people design a new levels for OD ? The main idea is to organize the whole interface into the pop-up menu :
so there would be File| New, Load , Save etc. and Edit for sure : Edit:Undo,Redo, Cut, Paste etc. but what else, I am waiting for your ideas guys .....
Also if someone is good at tinkertoying with CEGUI library please read my post here : https://discordapp.com/channels/5898586 ... 7395373099
paul424
OD Moderator

Re: Opendungeons : New Game Editor

Postby Julius » 02 Mar 2020, 11:03

Is the editor is build into the game right?

IMHO editing levels should be pretty similar to playing the game itself.

Nice would be a randomizer for starting new levels, which pre-places gold resources and other natural underground stuff in the level so that you can just modify it.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby paul424 » 02 Mar 2020, 12:03

Yes, it build-in, but it's pretty modest one.

What kind of randomization do you have in mind ? Like for each tile I randomly pickup the content ? That would end up in not very playable level, considering there are impenetrable walls, and gold for digging ....
so all of them would be one-tile "islands" amidst diggable Tile type .... not very attactive .... Maybe someone knows a process with which would create both the gold and rock veins acrross the map?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Julius » 02 Mar 2020, 17:16

Yeah some randomizing that is somewhat natural of course.

There are typical examples from hight map terrain engines that use random noise with some filters applied. Or alternatively there are some random dungeon creator libraries for RPG games that might work. Although if too much is pre-created than it might be a hassle to create the customized stuff.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby paul424 » 10 Mar 2020, 12:35

Oki, thanks for the info, I would be glad if someone is looking at changes in new-editor branch https://github.com/tomluchowski/OpenDungeons/tree/new-editor Any help, comments and tips are welcome, how to make a usable editor ....
paul424
OD Moderator