Hubzilla / XMPP for a libre achivement system [split topic]

Hubzilla / XMPP for a libre achivement system [split topic]

Postby dulsi » 14 Mar 2019, 15:50

Split from here: https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11382

Is there a plugin to add trophies/achievements to hubzilla/friendica? If can plugins be portable or do you need to develop for hubzilla or friendica? I understand that any achievements in an open source game could easily be reached by cheating and some people don't want games contacting other servers so it would be optional of course.
dulsi

Re: Hubzilla / Fediverse social.freegamedev.net beginner top

Postby Julius » 14 Mar 2019, 16:52

Like some sort of badge in the profile, or what would you have in mind?
Edit: you mean something like Xonotic's Player badges? https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonstat-badges
Hmm... in Hubzilla it is probably possible by customizing your channel page (I turned that features off as it is very complex) but I don't think there is an easy way to do it right now.

Plugins between Friendica and Hubzilla used to be very similar, but since the recent change in Hubzilla to split them into addon and app (the latter are the ones accessible through that user-app interface) it must have become quite a bit more involved.

What exists is a very early "channel reputation" plugin for Hubzilla, but that is more to allow community moderation on public forums, i.e. users with a lot of likes and replies get some sort of invisible points with allow them to use more features etc. It's kind of a spam and quality assurance tool.

Edit2: I am actually also interested in something like that as I would like to add such XMPP badges to the profile/channel: https://github.com/conversejs/xmpp-chat-badge
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 14 Mar 2019, 18:10

dulsi {l Wrote}:Is there a plugin to add trophies/achievements to hubzilla/friendica? If can plugins be portable or do you need to develop for hubzilla or friendica? I understand that any achievements in an open source game could easily be reached by cheating and some people don't want games contacting other servers so it would be optional of course.

I asked on the Friendica support forum and there are a few profile fields that support BBCode, thus you could link to an image on an external site and get something like an game badge. However these are only visible when navigating to the profile information. Maybe there is one that will show up below the profile picture, but not sure. I guess it would be relatively easy to add to the Friendica source code to have a profile field that is both BBCode capable and shows up below the profile picture.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby dulsi » 14 Mar 2019, 21:45

I'm looking for something like the trophies from PS4 or achievements in steam. Hubzilla has photos, calendar, etc. associated with a channel. Can you have a plugin add trophies/achievements to a channel?
dulsi

Hubzilla / Fediverse social.freegamedev.net beginner topic

Postby Lyberta » 15 Mar 2019, 04:22

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Julius » 15 Mar 2019, 04:51

You mean something the game interacts with directly and which is build into Hubzilla directly? Of course you can write very complex software as Hubzilla apps, but a Steamworks replacement seems to be a bit out of the scope ;)
We did previously discuss using XMPP for something like that though: https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7669
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby dulsi » 15 Mar 2019, 18:49

Lyberta: I don't agree with your dislikes. For example your dislike of story-driven single player games, why do we have books? You could just jump to the last chapter and find how it ends. People enjoy the journey. Most people aren't going to be interested in helping with development and will not look at the game. I find achievements/trophies fun. If you don't like them, don't put them in your game and either don't play games with them or ignore them.

Julius {l Wrote}:You mean something the game interacts with directly and which is build into Hubzilla directly? Of course you can write very complex software as Hubzilla apps, but a Steamworks replacement seems to be a bit out of the scope ;)
We did previously discuss using XMPP for something like that though: https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7669

I know there was that discussion. I just don't understand how XMPP solution would work. Would you be able to see all achievements earned by people or would it be more ephemeral, posted when achieved and then forgotten? A hubzilla/friendica implementation seems more straight forward to me.
dulsi

Postby Julius » 19 Mar 2019, 17:57

dulsi {l Wrote}:I know there was that discussion. I just don't understand how XMPP solution would work. Would you be able to see all achievements earned by people or would it be more ephemeral, posted when achieved and then forgotten? A hubzilla/friendica implementation seems more straight forward to me.

XMPP has non-ephemeral components such as profiles and pubsub (similar to RSS) feeds and is extremely extendable. However I have to be honest, I don't consider achievements to be particularly important (and maybe not even desirable) for a libre & federated steamworks replacement. The most important aspects would be probably community and chat features, friend list with easy joining of multiplayer games and maybe some sort of match-making system. Although the latter would need to track game experience/skill somehow so that would go towards the idea of achievements but in a much more fluid/relatively ephemeral way.
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Hubzilla / XMPP for a libre achivement system [split top

Postby Lyberta » 20 Mar 2019, 12:40

How would you develop match making where every server is different? That's not gonna work.
Lyberta

Re: Hubzilla / XMPP for a libre achivement system [split top

Postby Julius » 20 Mar 2019, 17:47

I don't see this as such a big issue for most games as "measuring" skill is much more inaccurate that differences due to minor changes by the server admins. And if there are larger changes you just get some sort of versioning to show it as a different kind of game type.
Julius
Community Moderator