Mario Party Clone Idea

Mario Party Clone Idea

Postby Barsook » 01 Oct 2012, 01:05

I was brainstorming ideas for a Mario Party clone and I written it on one doc (forgot to spell-check in the end). I'm uploading it here because you want you guys to look at and give me feedback for the idea. Who knows I might start up a team for this idea and get it live.

P.S. It's another crazy idea from me. ;)

Edited to add: The name of the game is Open Battle Party
Attachments
Oneline Board Game Idea Dump.pdf
(45.71 KiB) Downloaded 578 times
Barsook

Re: Mario Party Clone Idea

Postby alexander » 01 Oct 2012, 13:47

ideas are cheap. show me the code.

I would love to play a free Mario Party clone.
alexander

Postby Tranberry » 01 Oct 2012, 14:41

Alexander, there are more to a game than code. Like art assets, design, and planning. :)

So Barsook, I would advice you to draw some mockups or discuss game mechanics that you like and don't like, if you don't want to do the code, with luck you might attract someone who can do that for you :D
I agree with Q until I post differently.
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby Barsook » 02 Oct 2012, 01:16

I will draw some mock ups because that's what I only can do along having some crazy ideas. (same with the dragon races)

As far as game mechanics goes, I like the whole using cards to attack players in a board game (like Mario Party) while the players are running around the board fetching (getting) items. I like this because it gives a new twist to the board game where the players are running around in a circle for whatever turns. What I don't like is using the card will prevent random chance events (like when stepping on the "?" square) because the players will target whoever is in first (if in range of the card). I think that could be fixed though without making it like Mario Party's chance squares.

While this comment is not on game mechanics, I want to say that this idea if it goes live would be very hard to get funded (for severs, pay for everyone who worked on the project, ect) unless done by a Kickstarter or something like that. Also getting a large enough playerbase to keep it going.

Edited to add: I have deleted my old post and replaced it with this one
Barsook

Postby charlie » 02 Oct 2012, 10:50

Interesting idea. You should just have a crack at it, use pygame or love or another simple game script.

Also if you update the idea/spec document, please add a version (v2, v3 etc).
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Barsook » 02 Oct 2012, 22:16

Yeah, I know. But I'm a person in the medical field (but not pre-med), so I think it might awhile for me to learn how to code and take a crack at coding a bit of the game. But for now, I will be working on the idea and the mockup of a manual.

I will soon post a new version of that idea dump because I have added more ideas to it (and I will put a version number on it).
Barsook

Postby Barsook » 03 Oct 2012, 01:57

Version 2 is attached to this post. I have added two more mode ideas, one of them is based on RE's coop's mode.
Attachments
Oneline Board Game Idea Dump version 2.pdf
(46.71 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
Barsook

Postby mdtrooper » 09 Aug 2013, 10:01

Yes, it is a old post, sorry.

I think that it is a great idea for FOSS game, I have been thinking sometimes in this kind of game too.

But I have been thinking about the tecnical view, I tell you more...

I was thinking about the minigames and how I can load this minigames from python scripts in execution time. Because I think that the game have 2 main parts:
* the main game (the board and this things as the menu),
* the minigames.

And about the minigames, I was thinking I want something that a "store of minigames" / "downloadable content section" entry in the main menu for the other people can develop the custom minigames and upload to the "minigames repository".

But for these things, it is necesary something library or something (I am newbie in python) to load scripts in execution time. Is there something to make this in python?

Bye.
And I have a Patreon in https://www.patreon.com/migueldedios.
mdtrooper

Postby grrk-bzzt » 12 Apr 2014, 11:42

Hello,

I'm not sure if a lot of people are still brainstorming about this but I wanted to add my contribution.

I thought about a Mario Party clone for a long time.
First of all, I truly think Mario Party 2 did a lot of things (everthing?) right and there shouldn't be much room for new ideas.
Mario Party 2 already have very simple ideas that works and doesn't need to be reinvented.

If such a project had to see the light, I think it should stick to very strict rules in order to make it enjoyable.

1/ Limit the game assets and rules
  • Only 4 players at the same time, no more, no less. Mario Party is a very long game and some times it can feel like it's never going to end (50 turns anyone?). Letting more than 4 people to play at the same time would be unrealistic and will end up feeling like playing never-ending Monopoly.
  • Stick to the Mario Party 2 magic numbers:
    • 6 available characters to choose
    • I thought a long time about this, and I feel the character that are the most suited for both a board game, but also for people who have no idea about what free and open-source software is (like kids) are the following:
    • 6 playable worlds
    • Again, the worlds themes in Mario Party 2 are pretty straightforward. No need to reinvent the wheel.
      • Desert
      • Forest
      • Ship
      • Space
      • Theme Park
      • Town
    • 65 minigames
    • Total number, from different categories (Free for all, 2 vs 2, 1 vs 3, item minigame, etc…).

Regarding the non-playable characters, we could again replace them with cartoonish'ed FOSS mascots. Some of them will be a no-brainer for kids:

2/ Limit the work to do
From a technical point of view, Mario Party 2 does use very little 3D in fact.
The board is a flat image on which only the characters are in true 3D.
The same goes for most of the minigames where 3D is only used in case of moving objects.

I truly think a clone should try to keep the low poly + 2D art charm of thoses old N64 games, both for aestetic and performance reasons.

Let me know what you think.
grrk-bzzt

Postby mdtrooper » 15 Apr 2014, 10:35

Your ideas are cool.

I am wondering that What is it the best file format for the models?...because there is not a game engine choosen for the game at the moment.

Or another question....What is the best game engine? It is necesary think in some things:
- plataforms supported
- easy to coding
- performance
And I have a Patreon in https://www.patreon.com/migueldedios.
mdtrooper

Postby gouessej » 15 Apr 2014, 14:11

I agree with alexander, show me some code. If you have great ideas and beautiful models but you can't code or use a WYSIWYG editor, you won't make a game. If you want to learn how to code, start by something a lot more simple, a Pong or a Tetris clone.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
gouessej

Postby grrk-bzzt » 26 Apr 2014, 15:22

mdtrooper {l Wrote}:Your ideas are cool.

I am wondering that What is it the best file format for the models?...because there is not a game engine choosen for the game at the moment.

Or another question....What is the best game engine? It is necesary think in some things:
- plataforms supported
- easy to coding
- performance

Imho, OGRE is the best engine to choose.
It's already fast, well documented and portable.

gouessej {l Wrote}:I agree with alexander, show me some code. If you have great ideas and beautiful models but you can't code or use a WYSIWYG editor, you won't make a game. If you want to learn how to code, start by something a lot more simple, a Pong or a Tetris clone.

This forum is for ideas and concepts only, otherwise this would have been posted on the Project Showcase & Collaboration forum.
grrk-bzzt

Postby NaN » 26 Apr 2014, 17:22

OGRE is "just" a graphics engine.

If you look for game engines:
http://urho3d.github.io/
http://www.godotengine.org/wp/
NaN

Postby grrk-bzzt » 26 Apr 2014, 20:26

The Godot engine looks very interesting, I'll give it a try in the coming days.
(I must work for college final exams, so that might take a while)
grrk-bzzt

Postby Julius » 02 Sep 2018, 05:48

Julius
Community Moderator