V0.4.1 Preparation thread

V0.4.1 Preparation thread

Postby Edward_Lii » 03 Mar 2014, 21:29

Hello all,

As you might know, we're planning on releasing a 0.4.1 version of Me & My Shadow, containing mostly new translations.
This release will mark the end of a long pause and the first step towards V0.5.

Changes
The V0.4.1 release will mostly contain new or updated translations.
Here's a quick list based on the commit logs since V0.4:
  • New Spanish translation by mdtrooper
  • New Scottish Gaelic translation by GunChleoc
  • New French translation by Akien
  • Updated Dutch translation by Tedium
  • Updated Finnish translation by odamite
Note: the translations made for svn aren't fully compatible with the V0.4.
I've attached a file containing the strings that are missing (or different) in svn compared to V0.4, there were no incompatibilities in the levelpack translations.
If translators could make a version of there translation based on the V0.4 messages.pot file, thanks in advance.

Additional changes
For users who have already played V0.4 (in their native language) there won't be any reason to try this release.
That's why I want to add some new levels to this release, only a few, because I don't want to spend much time on making levels using a smaller feature set than present in svn.
Any suggestions for additional content is welcome. ;)

Note: I'm thinking of simply reusing the V0.4 binaries, so if anyone could test these binaries on newer systems to see if they still work.

Afterwards
After V0.4.1 is released, all the focus will go to V0.5, which already contains a lot of new features waiting to be released.
The idea is to polish up these new features, test them and make levels that incorporate these features.
Attachments
msgids.txt
(556 Bytes) Downloaded 887 times
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Re: V0.4.1 Preparation thread

Postby GunChleoc » 03 Mar 2014, 22:34

I already did a separate translation for 0.4, so it should be fine.

I have played 0.4 a bit on Windows 7 and have not noticed any problems.
GunChleoc

Postby BioHazardX » 04 Mar 2014, 15:01

You can include my translation update now.
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby Edward_Lii » 09 Mar 2014, 15:16

Hello all,

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:I already did a separate translation for 0.4, so it should be fine.

BioHazardX {l Wrote}:You can include my translation update now.

Thanks for the translations, here's a status update regarding the new/updated translations:
Spanish: Okay
Scottish Gaelic: Okay
French: Made for SVN, so misses a few strings.
Dutch: ~ Okay (missing a few translations for errors, but appears this was always the case)
Finnish: Okay (missing strings copied from V0.4)
Italian: Okay (missed a few strings, copied from older translation(s))

I haven't had the time to make any levels (yet).

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:I have played 0.4 a bit on Windows 7 and have not noticed any problems.

Thanks for testing this, I just discovered a few problems with reusing the binaries.
The version string (used in the titlebar) is still V0.4 and openSUSE appears to have a newer version of libarchive.
So I think it might be better to make a new build. :|

Anyway, I hope to release V0.4.1 somewhere at the end of the week.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Akien » 09 Mar 2014, 17:45

Hi Edward,

You'll find the translation update for French on the French translation topic: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5335&p=54868#p54868
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby GunChleoc » 09 Mar 2014, 22:55

Good news, thanks :)
GunChleoc

Postby squarecross » 14 Mar 2014, 18:14

Here are some levels.
Attachments
levels.zip
(8.85 KiB) Downloaded 801 times
squarecross

Postby Edward_Lii » 14 Mar 2014, 19:26

Hello all,

Akien {l Wrote}:You'll find the translation update for French on the French translation topic: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5335&p=54868#p54868

Thank you for updating your translation. :)

squarecross {l Wrote}:Here are some levels.

Wow, those are some hard levels. :cool:
I have played them all, (didn't finish them all, though) and the difficult.
IMO it's best to not create/add them to a levelpack and leave them as separate levels, that way users can skip some if needed.

Here are my thoughts:
A bit off. Nice level, not too hard to figure out.
Reflection I like the name/concept of this level.
Shifting Sands :? Managed to get the player in the middle, but couldn't get the shadow to join. :p
Stairway to Hell Quite the challenge.
Gauntlet IMHO the best level of the bunch, clear objective, good checkpoint placement.
Quantum Tunnel Well, let's say it's not so easy, haven't finished it yet...
Sky High Couldn't hurt to put a message at the "lift". (Didn't finish it)

Playing these levels with V0.4 gave me some ideas (for future releases):
  • Allow beter camera control/minimap for observing the level.
  • Add an easy mode making it easier to control your shadow (slow motion or perhaps a shadow of your shadow displaying the effect of your recording while you make it?)
  • Make it (visually) clear how a teleporter works (one-way, activate on touch, etc...)
And another thing, which can (and should) be included in V0.4.1 is updated Cloudscape theme. :D

Hopefully I have the source tarball ready tomorrow. ;)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby squarecross » 15 Mar 2014, 05:51

:) I haven't been able to do Shifting Sands or Quantum Tunnel, but the shadow can do anything the player can do, right?

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:Add an easy mode making it easier to control your shadow (slow motion or perhaps a shadow of your shadow displaying the effect of your recording while you make it?)

I like the idea of a projection of the movement of the shadow, but the current system has successive record then move, meaning that the projection will be short lived and not very helpful. I'm thinking in order to get the full effect of this the record and move of the shadow should be seperated, with another key to tell the shadow to do the movement. That would help a lot with timing. If this idea were to be taken further, maybe the user should be able to queue up recorded movements for the shadow so that the player can quickly do shadow movements.

I tweaked Sky High a bit, added some comments made the lift quicker.
Attachments
SkyHigh.zip
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 800 times
squarecross

Postby leovilok » 16 Mar 2014, 01:03

These levels are good, squarecross ! Congratulations ! They are hard but well designed, and very fun to play.
I finished every level but Quantum Tunnel, and I don't know how i am suppose dto finish this one : there seems to be no way to open the "room" of the exit door, or did I miss something ? I know that somebody can be put in th corridor in front of it but it seems to lead to nothing and there is no additionnal switch or pressure-plate.
Shifting Sands is possible, but it is hard, i mean REALLY HARD :) , I don't know how mutch time i spent on it but is was really long and quite painful ( I got some achievements is the process :) ). I can give you the record file if you want, even without the die-and-retry parts it looks odd and clumsy but it shows that finishing the level is possible (wich can be good, because it doesn't look so).
leovilok

Postby squarecross » 16 Mar 2014, 05:17

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed them. I'm extremely impressed that you were able to get through Shifting Sands and Quantum Tunnel (you're very close to being done).
Quantum tunnelling, try moving the player around in the corridor, you'll see what I mean.
squarecross

Postby Edward_Lii » 16 Mar 2014, 10:05

Hello all,

I'm almost done with the source tarball.
Adjusting the Cloudscape theme from svn to the (old) V0.4 format took a bit more time and effort than I expected.

squarecross {l Wrote}:I tweaked Sky High a bit, added some comments made the lift quicker.

Thanks, the updated version will be included.
One question, what license do release your levels under?
Curent levels and levelpacks are CC0 or GPL, although they can be licensed under a Createive Commons license, there's a bit of a gray area with functional resources (especially considering scripting possibilities).

leovilok {l Wrote}:Shifting Sands is possible, but it is hard, i mean REALLY HARD :) , I don't know how mutch time i spent on it but is was really long and quite painful ( I got some achievements is the process :) ). I can give you the record file if you want, even without the die-and-retry parts it looks odd and clumsy but it shows that finishing the level is possible (wich can be good, because it doesn't look so).

Wow, I would love to see that record file. :D
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby leovilok » 16 Mar 2014, 14:36

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:Wow, I would love to see that record file. :D

Here it is : , even if there is still no official way to view it ;) . What would be cool is a system à-la xmoto, where the ghost of the World Record/your record can be shown in game if wanted.

I'm still trying to finish Quantum Tunnel, but i often miss-save and have to restart from the begining, wich feels horrible :cry:. Maybe there should be a way to delete last save and come back to the previous one ?
leovilok

Postby Edward_Lii » 16 Mar 2014, 15:57

Hello leovilok,

leovilok {l Wrote}:even if there is still no official way to view it ;) . What would be cool is a system à-la xmoto, where the ghost of the World Record/your record can be shown in game if wanted.

The replay system could use an overhaul.
For some reason your replay results in a replay bug, both with the latest SVN and with V0.4. :|
Edit: Apparently the bug fixes/changes by squarecross in revision 687 caused the replay errors, revision before that works.
I assume you're using a custom build, which revision are you at?

leovilok {l Wrote}:I'm still trying to finish Quantum Tunnel, but i often miss-save and have to restart from the begining, wich feels horrible :cry:. Maybe there should be a way to delete last save and come back to the previous one ?

It's something that could be improved, though ideally you could jump back and fourth between saves, without the need to delete them.
Maybe some form of undo/redo, meaning you can go back and fourth, but saving after loading an older save, removes the newer saves from that point onwards?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby leovilok » 16 Mar 2014, 16:27

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:For some reason your replay results in a replay bug, both with the latest SVN and with V0.4. :|
Edit: Apparently the bug fixes/changes by squarecross in revision 687 caused the replay errors, revision before that works.
I assume you're using a custom build, which revision are you at?

I'm sorry, I forgot I played on a custom build : it is rev 683 from svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/meandmyshadow/meandmyshadow

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:It's something that could be improved, though ideally you could jump back and fourth between saves, without the need to delete them.
Maybe some form of undo/redo, meaning you can go back and fourth, but saving after loading an older save, removes the newer saves from that point onwards?

It sounds good, but don't forget to keep a shortcut for the last save you load, as it can be pressed a lot of times ;). Also, a way to keep the saves if you leave the game might be interesting in the longest levels. Finally, something I've been thinking for a long time is that the F3 key (load a save) should act the same as the reset key (R) when there is no save, behaving as if the beginning of the level was the first save.
leovilok

Postby squarecross » 16 Mar 2014, 18:52

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:One question, what license do release your levels under?

CC0 sounds good, but I'm not very familiar with the licensing process. Do I need to do something to indicate that?

leovilok {l Wrote}:Also, a way to keep the saves if you leave the game might be interesting in the longest levels.

That's an interesting idea, there could be adventure levels.
squarecross

Postby Edward_Lii » 29 Mar 2014, 13:19

Hello squarecross,

I'm very sorry for the inactivity.

squarecross {l Wrote}:CC0 sounds good, but I'm not very familiar with the licensing process. Do I need to do something to indicate that?

All you need to do is clearly state that you release the files under the CC0 license. ;)

squarecross {l Wrote}:
leovilok {l Wrote}:Also, a way to keep the saves if you leave the game might be interesting in the longest levels.

That's an interesting idea, there could be adventure levels.

All that is needed for this is storing the saved state(s) to disk and loading it again.

Anyway, the good news is, I'm releasing V0.4.1 very soon! :D
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator