Rewritten collision/movement system

Rewritten collision/movement system

Postby Edward_Lii » 10 Feb 2013, 15:08

Hello all,

I have rewritten the collision and movement system again... :|
There were a few problems with the previous version(s) which became a big problem with scripted movement.
So I did my best to make the new system stable and future-proof, the new system is in svn rev. 581.

The following things are new/changed in the new:
  • The player and shadow are now 23px wide (for some reason nobody noticed they were 21px since the start :? )
  • Blocks are now moved before the player, this way the player doesn't have to "predict" the block movement.
  • The player can now be squashed by "teleporting" moving blocks.
  • All events are added to the eventQueue and handled at the same time before any movement in the logic method of the Game state.

There are a few bugs I'm aware of, mainly the pushable blocks which need their movement code updated.
And when multiple moving blocks are overlapping, the order which they are in can make the player "bounce" off them.

If you encounter any bugs with the new system please post them in this thread.
Also explain how to reproduce the bug, preferably with a test-case attached.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Re: Rewritten collision/movement system

Postby acme_pjz » 11 Feb 2013, 06:54

Tutorial level 17 breaks :( Two bugs: 1. When the player leaves the button, the conveyor belt and spike block doesn't restart working 2. Although the conveyor belt stops, it still has effect when the shadow walk on it :| :?
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 11 Feb 2013, 20:37

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:Tutorial level 17 breaks :( Two bugs: 1. When the player leaves the button, the conveyor belt and spike block doesn't restart working 2. Although the conveyor belt stops, it still has effect when the shadow walk on it :| :?

Thanks for reporting them, I can't believe I missed those. :|
They should be fixed in svn rev. 584.

I've also noticed that there are some problems with moving blocks that moves diagonally.
This can be reproduced quite easily by trying to finish level 16 of the tutorial pack.
I will try to fix this ASAP.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 12 Feb 2013, 09:01

Another minor problem is the hit-test area of player and shadow, it breaks some level replays :| Of course there can be incompatibilities between old and new versions :think:
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 12 Feb 2013, 15:56

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:Another minor problem is the hit-test area of player and shadow, it breaks some level replays :| Of course there can be incompatibilities between old and new versions :think:

This is indeed a minor problem, but IMHO not very important.
I would rather have a correct hitbox for the player and shadow than backwards compatibility for older replays.

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:I've also noticed that there are some problems with moving blocks that moves diagonally.

These problems should be fixed in svn rev. 585. ;)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 13 Feb 2013, 05:45

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:These problems should be fixed in svn rev. 585. ;)

It works :)
acme_pjz