bgalon_2000 Level Packs

bgalon_2000 Level Packs

Postby bgalon_2000 » 09 Nov 2012, 16:46

Attached is my first submission to the project – “Twelve Pits”. It’s a level pack with a difficulty level situated somewhat above tutorial and can be a good second or third pack to play for someone who discovered the game recently. It does not contain any difficult levels. Can the moderators keep those levels out of the add-in area at the moment? I prefer forum members having a look and suggesting improvements before I call this a “ready to go” complete pack (see below).

Design philosophy: My view of “Me and My Shadow” is a puzzle action hybrid. I prefer the puzzle elements of it – but without a change to the way the view port is handled (different discussion) – its puzzle’s element is restricted. My level pack tries to strike a balance between the two. The puzzles are fair and in most cases “fully reviewable” before you attempt them – although the tab key will need to be used to get the full understanding of the puzzle (level 11 and 12 are the exception – they might have to be tried a few times before success on the smaller resolutions). The actions bits are designed to be fun and not frustrating. “Killing” blocks are mostly there to prevent the player of going somewhere or doing something. I hope everyone will find a bit they enjoy.

As I mentioned above – I would really like some feedback before this is put (if the team is at all interested) as an add-on. Those are the areas I can use some feedback:

1) The levels are supposed to be in increasing difficulty. Do you think the order is right or you think I should switch some around? (exception is level 12 – it is not the most difficult but I feel it is the right one to finish the whole thing – it’s just a feeling thingy  )
2) I am not a very “fast” player. Can players submit their time and number of recordings? I would like to use that as a base for the “target time and recording”. I included some slow times of my own - you should be able to break those easily!
3) Any general comments about level design. Things you liked and did not like. Anything really!

It will only probably take 30 minutes to play through the pack :)

Many thanks, bgalon_2000

P.S. I balive the zipped file should be opened under the custom\levelpacks directory....
Attachments
Twelve Pits.zip
(7.68 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
bgalon_2000

Re: bgalon_2000 Level Packs

Postby Edward_Lii » 09 Nov 2012, 18:24

Hello bgalon_2000,

bgalon_2000 {l Wrote}:Attached is my first submission to the project – “Twelve Pits”. It’s a level pack with a difficulty level situated somewhat above tutorial and can be a good second or third pack to play for someone who discovered the game recently. It does not contain any difficult levels. Can the moderators keep those levels out of the add-in area at the moment? I prefer forum members having a look and suggesting improvements before I call this a “ready to go” complete pack (see below).

A new levelpack! Yeah! :D
Whenever you feel you're levelpack is ready to be uploaded to the addon system, just say so and I will upload it ASAP. ;)

bgalon_2000 {l Wrote}:1) The levels are supposed to be in increasing difficulty. Do you think the order is right or you think I should switch some around? (exception is level 12 – it is not the most difficult but I feel it is the right one to finish the whole thing – it’s just a feeling thingy  )

There's nothing wrong with the level order in my opinion.

bgalon_2000 {l Wrote}:2) I am not a very “fast” player. Can players submit their time and number of recordings? I would like to use that as a base for the “target time and recording”. I included some slow times of my own - you should be able to break those easily!

The target times and number of recordings were indeed very easy to break.
Here are my times and number of recordings, these are just from one play through, I'll try to improve them later and post those targets:
  1. 8.86s and 1 recording
  2. 12.43s and 5 recordings
  3. 10.45s and 1 recording
  4. 13.12s and 2 recordings
  5. 43.58s and 6 recordings
  6. 17.30s and 4 recordings
  7. 30.65s and 5 recordings
  8. 13.30s and 2 recordings
  9. 19.15s and 7 recordings
  10. 77.05s and 10 recordings
  11. 27.40s and 6 recordings
  12. 68.70s and 8 recordings

bgalon_2000 {l Wrote}:3) Any general comments about level design. Things you liked and did not like. Anything really!

I think the level design is great, feels very well tested and well put together.
So the following points are just some nitpicks:

In the second level (Shallow Pit - Revisited) there are only two blocks at the bottom for the player to stand on.
The level is doable this way, but I think making it three long will make it less annoying to record the movement for the shadow to reach the exit.

One thing I didn't understand is that there's a checkpoint in level six (Teleport!), when I reached the checkpoint all I had to do was pull the switch and jump into the exit.
No danger of dying what so ever.

Also adding a checkpoint after the first two parts of the Stairway to Heaven level might be a good idea.
The first part isn't that hard, but it takes a while to do and the second part can be quite challenging.

Anyway, thanks for making this levelpack. :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby MCMic » 10 Nov 2012, 15:18

I dislike installing levels by hand, I think you should upload it to the addon system right away, as the addon system supports update, you'll be able to update it later.
MCMic

Postby bgalon_2000 » 11 Nov 2012, 18:07

Fair enough - I have made some changes based on a edward_lii and a few others play testing the levels. I'll post an update sometime during the week and ask edward_lii to move it to the addon system.
bgalon_2000

Postby bgalon_2000 » 12 Nov 2012, 22:07

Edward_lii - Attached is version 1.1 of the level pack. Changes are documented inside the history.txt file that is a part of the zip.

Please feel free to add to the add-on system. I would still like to receive feedback from members of the forum as mentioned at the top of this thread. Enjoy!
Attachments
Twelve Pits.zip
(8.48 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
bgalon_2000

Postby Edward_Lii » 13 Nov 2012, 20:44

Hello bgalon_2000,

bgalon_2000 {l Wrote}:Edward_lii - Attached is version 1.1 of the level pack. Changes are documented inside the history.txt file that is a part of the zip.

Please feel free to add to the add-on system.

Thank you for updating your levelpack, I have committed it to the addons repository. ;)
Note that it only appears in a svn version of the game.

bgalon_2000 {l Wrote}:I would still like to receive feedback from members of the forum as mentioned at the top of this thread. Enjoy!

I still plan on improving the times and number of recordings I have set. :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby MCMic » 16 Nov 2012, 09:21

I can't see it in my svn version.
The window title is v0.4 RC1, which seems outdated.
I can only see 4 levelpacks in the addons.

[EDIT] hum I'm stuck at r467, has the svn address changed?
MCMic

Postby odamite » 16 Nov 2012, 10:24

Hello MCMic,

MCMic {l Wrote}:I can't see it in my svn version.
The window title is v0.4 RC1, which seems outdated.
I can only see 4 levelpacks in the addons.

The current revision is already 524. For me everything is working fine as it should be.

MCMic {l Wrote}:[EDIT] hum I'm stuck at r467, has the svn address changed?

Yeah. When updating SourceForge, the SVN address changed. More info: http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3294. Hope you get it working all right. ;)
odamite