Me & My Shadow on Mac

Me & My Shadow on Mac

Postby TermiT » 07 Aug 2012, 04:04

I have successfully builded the game for mac. (check the screenshot) It require some code changes, most of the time just the way how you include sdl framework for mac apps. So if you interested in these changes, how we can proceed? Can you give me svn access and create mac branch, or should I send you a patch?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-08-07 at 11.01.33 AM.png
Me & My Shadow on OSX
TermiT

Re: Me & My Shadow on Mac

Postby Edward_Lii » 07 Aug 2012, 06:13

Hello TermiT,

TermiT {l Wrote}:I have successfully builded the game for mac. (check the screenshot) It require some code changes, most of the time just the way how you include sdl framework for mac apps. So if you interested in these changes, how we can proceed? Can you give me svn access and create mac branch, or should I send you a patch?

That's great to hear, Knitter has done something similar some time ago: http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2627

I'm afraid creating a separate branch isn't possible due to the way the svn repository of meandmyshadow is set up.
So a patch is the best solution, but this also means it will get applied to the "trunk" so it should still compile/work on Windows and Linux.
I'm wondering, do you use CMake for building?

Anyway, great work and thanks! :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby TermiT » 07 Aug 2012, 06:36

No, I'm not using CMake, I just created xcode project and added SDL frameworks and source code, so idea was to use mac native tools for building. I think I can just add os macros to include different headers and It will not break cmake build for windows and linux.
Another thing I can help with is sign mac binary with my Mac Developer Certificate to bypass GateKeeper on Mountain Lion.
TermiT

Postby Edward_Lii » 07 Aug 2012, 07:24

Hello TermiT,

TermiT {l Wrote}:No, I'm not using CMake, I just created xcode project and added SDL frameworks and source code, so idea was to use mac native tools for building. I think I can just add os macros to include different headers and It will not break cmake build for windows and linux.

That's fine, I was just wondering if you used CMake or not.
If you could make use of the macros and post the patch I can commit it to the svn repository.

TermiT {l Wrote}:Another thing I can help with is sign mac binary with my Mac Developer Certificate to bypass GateKeeper on Mountain Lion.

That sounds great, one question though, could you make the mac binaries as well?
We have had some trouble with that in the past...

Anyway thanks for your effort. :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Knitter » 07 Aug 2012, 09:46

TermiT {l Wrote}:No, I'm not using CMake, I just created xcode project and added SDL frameworks and source code, so idea was to use mac native tools for building. I think I can just add os macros to include different headers and It will not break cmake build for windows and linux.
Another thing I can help with is sign mac binary with my Mac Developer Certificate to bypass GateKeeper on Mountain Lion.

CMake generates the xcode project with all that already setup. I've also compiled on Mac with both the CMake generated project files and the generated makefile and it works out of the box, though I have macports and use most of the macports libraries (like SDL). The only problem I had was with the data folder not being detected, I don't think I ever sent the patch for that since, I didn't like the code I changed and have had no time to look into it again (is it corrected?).

If you could provide builds for the latest 3 OS X versions that would be great, of if you have some experience with mac development can provide some tips on how to properly build for OS X I would try to create the bundles. I haven't transitioned to Mountain Lion yet but I have the latest XCode.
Knitter

Postby TermiT » 09 Aug 2012, 05:45

Here is my patch. Changes:
* different includes for mac (using __APPLE__ macro)
* different resource search for mac (using __APPLE__ macro)
* icns (mac icon file)
* xcode project
* mac headers for libarchive
* changed README file

If somebody want to check mac build here is binaries (debug version): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1400234/meandmyshadow.zip
Later I will upload release binaries with code signing.
Attachments
mac.diff
(219.83 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
TermiT

Postby Edward_Lii » 09 Aug 2012, 06:16

Hello TermiT,

TermiT {l Wrote}:Here is my patch. Changes:
* different includes for mac (using __APPLE__ macro)
* different resource search for mac (using __APPLE__ macro)
* icns (mac icon file)
* xcode project
* mac headers for libarchive
* changed README file

Great work, I don't own a Mac so couldn't test it, but it still compiled without errors on Linux. ;)
I have committed your changes to the svn repository, they're in svn rev. 505.
The only remark I have is that the README file was lacking a new line at the end.

TermiT {l Wrote}:Later I will upload release binaries with code signing.

A binary would be great, are you going to use the latest svn code or the source archive of the latest release (V0.4)?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby TermiT » 09 Aug 2012, 07:09

Great work, I don't own a Mac so couldn't test it, but it still compiled without errors on Linux.
I have committed your changes to the svn repository, they're in svn rev. 505.
The only remark I have is that the README file was lacking a new line at the end.

Thanks.
A binary would be great, are you going to use the latest svn code or the source archive of the latest release (V0.4)?

I think it's better to do it for 0.4, and then later when you will release 0.5, I will do it from svn.

@Knitter, can you please check if project is compiling fine for you.
TermiT

Postby TermiT » 09 Aug 2012, 09:07

Release binary for 0.4:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1400234/MyAndMyShadow-0.4.dmg
I have tested it on two machines. I think you can put it on download page
TermiT

Postby Edward_Lii » 09 Aug 2012, 09:34

Hello TermiT,

TermiT {l Wrote}:Release binary for 0.4:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1400234/MyAndMyShadow-0.4.dmg
I have tested it on two machines. I think you can put it on download page

Thanks, I've uploaded the file to Sf and will update the Download page on the wiki.
The main download page is maintained by odamite so I will ask him to update it ASAP.

Anyway, thank you very much for your effort. :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby TermiT » 09 Aug 2012, 10:59

Anyway, thank you very much for your effort.

Thank you for the game!
TermiT

Postby Knitter » 09 Aug 2012, 11:12

I won't be able to compile it today, but the binary seems to work properly.
Knitter

Postby odamite » 09 Aug 2012, 11:48

Hello everyone and thank you TermiT for providing this binary and also thank you Knitter for testing it. :) (I can't personally test it out.)

I updated the download page. I think that there should be small instructions how to install it. What do you think that it should be?
odamite

Postby TermiT » 09 Aug 2012, 19:02

odamite {l Wrote}:I updated the download page. I think that there should be small instructions how to install it. What do you think that it should be?

I think something like this: "Open .dmg file, then drag&drop Me And My Shadow to Applications folder. Launch Me And My Shadow from Applications folder."
TermiT

Postby odamite » 10 Aug 2012, 09:05

TermiT {l Wrote}:
odamite {l Wrote}:I updated the download page. I think that there should be small instructions how to install it. What do you think that it should be?

I think something like this: "Open .dmg file, then drag&drop Me And My Shadow to Applications folder. Launch Me And My Shadow from Applications folder."

Thanks! The website has been updated. :D
odamite

Postby leovilok » 11 Aug 2012, 19:42

I think you can remove the "coming soon" mention for mac in the trailer video.
leovilok

Postby odamite » 14 Aug 2012, 16:06

leovilok {l Wrote}:I think you can remove the "coming soon" mention for mac in the trailer video.

Thanks for mentioning it but I already did it. However for some reason it still isn't removed from actual video. All we can do now is to wait...
odamite