New theme and levelpack

New theme and levelpack

Postby odamite » 06 Aug 2012, 11:55

Hello everyone,

I've been working on a levelpack and a suitable theme for it. So here it is: "Clartech Space Station" levelpack and "Space" theme:

screenshot1.png
0.5 menu themes
screenshot2.png
In-game screenshot

The levels are not so much puzzle based but more action based. Hopefully you enjoy both the theme and levels and please tell me what you think. ;)

SpaceTheme.tar.gz
The theme
(574.43 KiB) Downloaded 313 times

ClartechLevels.tar.gz
The levelpack
(6.31 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
odamite

Re: New theme and levelpack

Postby Edward_Lii » 06 Aug 2012, 16:52

Hello odamite,

odamite {l Wrote}:I've been working on a levelpack and a suitable theme for it. So here it is: "Clartech Space Station" levelpack and "Space" theme:

Looks fun, going to try out the levelpack soon. ;)

I've added both the levelpack and the theme to the addon system.
It's only accessible with the latest svn version because the git repository moved, I'm trying to get them to the old one as well.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby odamite » 14 Aug 2012, 16:11

Hello,

and thanks Edward_Lii for uploading it to the addon system. :)

I would like to hear some feedback from anyone who has played my levelpack and tested out my theme. Both positive and negative feedback is welcome. Thanks! :D
odamite

Postby leovilok » 30 Aug 2012, 16:44

Hello,
I played your levelpack, with the theme, and ... it was cool :D

The levelpack
It is an interesting levelpack because, as you said, it's more action based than others, witch make it fun to play ... even if in some parts we can die a lot (at least I did :oops: ).
It shows that M&MS can be an arcade game if we just make the right level as it can be more puzzle oriented ; I think that both are good and combination can be awesome. (plus I'm sure we could add some story/adventure parts)

The theme
About the theme I think it is sometimes too repetitive or simple : the metal parts/tiles are quite boring for example, I think it should have been more block like (with for example round corners, shade, variations, metal parts, rotating gears), and the characters are a bit too simple maybe (it should be more clear if they aliens or robots or stuff ...).
But I know creating a whole theme is hard and long, and what you did is still very fun and goes very well along with the theme, especially the animated parts that are VERY fun and awesome :heart: .

What I can suggest to make it better?
  • make puzzle levels between the action ones
  • use Cloudscape characters (so that it would be the story of the same characters lost in space)
  • animate even more !! :p

So thank your for this very fun levelpack/theme, and keep on making M&MS better ! :)
leovilok

Postby Edward_Lii » 11 Sep 2012, 16:04

Hello odamite,

odamite {l Wrote}:I would like to hear some feedback from anyone who has played my levelpack and tested out my theme. Both positive and negative feedback is welcome. Thanks! :D

Finally got around playing your levelpack, haven't finished it though. ;)

It's a good levelpack, the theme really adds a lot to the feel of the levelpack.
The levels can be challenging at times and there aren't many checkpoints around.
Especially in the second level, where if you die at the end you have to do the first part again, and again, and again... :p

The theme does have some downsides, as leovilok said it's sometimes repetitive and the characters are a bit too simple.
On top of that I believe you use pure white as font colour, which at least on my screen, is a bit on the bright side.

But overall it's a great levelpack! :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby odamite » 25 Sep 2012, 13:51

Hello,

Thank you both on the feedback you've given me. I think that I'll maybe continue and improve the level pack and the theme in the future according to your thoughts. So thanks! :cool:
odamite