V0.5 brainstorm thread

Re: V0.5 brainstorm thread

Postby Edward_Lii » 01 Dec 2012, 13:10

Hello odamite,

odamite {l Wrote}:That sound good to me. Are you going to do it? Or am I doing it? We don't want any more conflicts with commits, right?

I'm working on it right now. ;)

odamite {l Wrote}:Isn't my implementation using this method? It seems to be working pretty well and it eliminates need for mouse leave events in widgets. :)

Oh sorry, must have missed that when looking through your changes.

odamite {l Wrote}:You may be right. There's already the arrows indicating a mouse hover. But what do you think about the other places with POINT cursor like in checkboxes or level select screen? Should there be a POINT cursor at all?

I think it's best to look at how other GUIs handle this and copy their behaviour.
From what I see in Qt applications under KDE the cursor is practically always the standard pointer.
Only when hovering over text input fields, links, window borders or dividers changes the cursor type.
Other than that it changes when something is loading or when I'm dragging a window around, but that's about it.

I think we can do without the point cursor, most elements give enough feedback when hovering (e.g. tooltip when hovering level select).
Although we should add some sort of feedback when hovering over a checkbox (IIRC the colour used to darken when hovering).
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 02 Dec 2012, 07:24

Hi,

I have some bug reports and suggestions:

* Pushable blocks don't save/load their state when save/load game.
* lua_open() is deprecated in lus5.2. Should use luaL_newstate() instead. (Fixed in latest SVN.)
* If a lot of pushable blocks are pushed to the portal then something weird may happen :) Like this video:
20121202_2021_56.avi.zip
(363.13 KiB) Downloaded 401 times

* We can make pushable blocks teleportable?
* Add a shadow pushable block?

PS: There is a non-bug but interesting animation
mnms-1.gif
mnms-1.gif (14.36 KiB) Viewed 13865 times
Last edited by acme_pjz on 02 Dec 2012, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby bgalon_2000 » 02 Dec 2012, 11:01

Okay - I guess I'm downloading snv and firing up a C++ compiler. Have not done this for a while, but it's no good reading about everything if you can't play with it...
bgalon_2000

Postby Edward_Lii » 02 Dec 2012, 16:06

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}: Pushable blocks don't save/load their state when save/load game.

Thanks for pointing this out, it should be fixed in svn rev. 532. ;)

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:* If a lot of pushable blocks are pushed to the portal then something weird may happen :) Like this video:

I think we should prevent the player from teleporting and play the error sound, just like when the player is in front of a shadow block when trying to swap.

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:* We can make pushable blocks teleportable?

This can be done, but if we implement my suggested bugfix above the player wouldn't be able to teleport after sending a pushable block in...
Or should we just implement it and let the levelmaker

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:* Add a shadow pushable block?

I was thinking about that too, but I'm not sure for some reason.
We only have a few shadow blocks (shadow, moving shadow and shadow conveyor), fragile blocks, spikes and moving spikes all don't have a shadow equivalent.
Should we add those to allow more puzzles or should the "more interactive" block only have one form. :think:

bgalon_2000 {l Wrote}:Okay - I guess I'm downloading snv and firing up a C++ compiler. Have not done this for a while, but it's no good reading about everything if you can't play with it...

If you need any help or run into any problems, just ask. ;)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 02 Dec 2012, 16:26

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}: acme_pjz wrote:* We can make pushable blocks teleportable?

This can be done, but if we implement my suggested bugfix above the player wouldn't be able to teleport after sending a pushable block in...
Or should we just implement it and let the levelmaker

My idea is add an option to the portal: "Teleports pushable blocks", and the default value is false
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 15 Dec 2012, 11:54

Hello all,

I'm working on resizing for the GUIWindow and it's coming along quite nicely.
The changes are in svn rev. 539, there are some issues left.
The window will be dragged when resizing to the left or top when beyond the maximum size.
And mouse button events are sometimes handled in the background, causing random placing/dragging of objects.

If someone could try it out and tell me if it works properly and as expected, my mouse is kind of dying so it sometimes presses twice or lets go. :p
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby BioHazardX » 08 Mar 2013, 17:13

When will be the version 0.5 released? Or, what's the estimated time by the developers?
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby Edward_Lii » 08 Mar 2013, 17:29

Hello BioHazardX,

BioHazardX {l Wrote}:When will be the version 0.5 released? Or, what's the estimated time by the developers?

That's hard to tell...
We've started working on a couple of different things like scripting, scenery and addon uploading.
Although some of them work they still need to be improved/integrated, for example the scenery must be placeable with the leveleditor.

So all I can say is that it will be released when ready.
I know we aren't really following the "release early, release often" scheme here. :p
IMHO we should start working towards a release and not start implementing new features.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 09 Mar 2013, 05:17

Hi Edward_Lii,

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:We've started working on a couple of different things like scripting, scenery and addon uploading.

I think the coding of addon uploading is not started, right? :|

As for the V0.5 release, I think I should bring the (new) tool box back :|
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 09 Mar 2013, 13:56

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:I think the coding of addon uploading is not started, right? :|

That's right, I think it's best to leave it till V0.6 or later.
I'm probably going to make an upload form on the project web, a bit like XMoto does.
The addon menu should also be extended to download/show icons, descriptions and screenshots as per. odamite's mock-ups.

In client addon uploading is something that will require some more work, zipping the levelpack directory, creating a HTTP POST request, etc...

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:As for the V0.5 release, I think I should bring the (new) tool box back :|

Yeah, I removed since it was going to be replaced with a new one as discussed here: http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3978
I tried implementing it, but wasn't happy with the result and never got round doing it.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Edward_Lii » 29 Apr 2013, 14:52

Hello all,

At the moment meandmyshadow doesn't handle levelpacks with the same name very well...
It's something that I wanted to fix for a long time and finally started working on it, but I'm running into some problems.

My idea was to change the GUISingleListBox to support a different label/caption for an entry, somewhat similar to the way GUIListBox handles this.
So each entry is the (full) path to the levelpack, but only the name is displayed.
This works fine for selecting the levelpack but not for saving the progress of it. :|

The name of the progress file contains the name of the levelpack.
So if there are two levelpacks with the same name in different locations they will "share" the same progress file.
There are a few solutions I can think of but none of them are great IMO:
    - Include the path of the levelpack in the progress file somehow, makes the progress file levelpack location dependent.
    - Calculate an MD5 hash of the levelpack and use it in the name of the progress file, makes a progress file invalid after an update of that levelpack.
    - Don't support levelpacks with the same name. :(

Any suggestions?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 29 Apr 2013, 15:19

Hi Edward_Lii,

How about using the name of folder of level pack for progress file name? I checked the progress file and found that currently there is only one level pack with pack name different from the folder name ("Edward Lii's level pack. (test only)"). So if we change the behavior it is almost backward-compatible :) Of course, we can put progress file of downloaded/user made level pack to another folder :| i.e. "progress/addon" and "progress/custom"? not sure...
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 29 Apr 2013, 15:33

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:How about using the name of folder of level pack for progress file name? I checked the progress file and found that currently there is only one level pack with pack name different from the folder name ("Edward Lii's level pack. (test only)"). So if we change the behavior it is almost backward-compatible :) Of course, we can put progress file of downloaded/user made level pack to another folder :| i.e. "progress/addon" and "progress/custom"? not sure...

That's the current behaviour if I'm not mistaking.
Placing them in a subfolder depending on if they're an addon or user made isn't a bad idea, but moving the pack to a different 'domain' will lose the progress.
This is a minor issue, though, so I'm going to use this solution. :)

P.S. There is quite a serious bug, try creating a levelpack with the name 'Levels' or 'default' or 'classic'.
You will be able to edit those levelpacks even though, you're not supposed to be able to reach them. :|
This should be fixed when I've implemented this.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 29 Apr 2013, 16:55

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:P.S. There is quite a serious bug, try creating a levelpack with the name 'Levels' or 'default' or 'classic'.
You will be able to edit those levelpacks even though, you're not supposed to be able to reach them. :|
This should be fixed when I've implemented this.

I think it's not a problem as long as the program can distinguish user-created "Level" packs and internal "Level" packs :| Maybe when creating list of packs we add a flags to each level pack to indicate the pack is internal (i.e. "Level" and "CustomLevel"), bundled, addon, or custom level (or add prefixes to level pack folder name? like "addon/XXX" or "custom/XXX" or else) and the level editing select screen automatically skips packs with certain flags.
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 29 Apr 2013, 16:59

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:I think it's not a problem as long as the program can distinguish user-created "Level" packs and internal "Level" packs :| Maybe when creating list of packs we add a flags to each level pack to indicate the pack is internal (i.e. "Level" and "CustomLevel"), bundled, addon, or custom level (or add prefixes to level pack folder name? like "addon/XXX" or "custom/XXX" or else) and the level editing select screen automatically skips packs with certain flags.

I'm already working on this. ;)
The levelpack path is going to be used to identify which pack it is.
That way a "Levels" levelpack in the custom directory won't be the same as the generated "Levels" levelpack.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 30 Apr 2013, 12:26

Unfortunately, your code doesn't work with "Levels" and "Custom Levels" pack :( Level file can't be loaded at all, and the progress file name becomes "Level.progress", missing the last "s" of "Levels" :|
acme_pjz

Postby odamite » 30 Apr 2013, 15:36

Hello,

I can confirm SVNr645 doesn't work with "Levels" and "Custom levels". Also I'm getting a segmentation fault in inter-level popup when returning to menu but it seems that only in the tutorial levelpack. I'm not sure if it's related to the recent changes.

Otherwise nice work on the levelpack names. Isn't it now possible to translate levelpack names too? :)
odamite

Postby Edward_Lii » 01 May 2013, 09:22

Hello,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:Unfortunately, your code doesn't work with "Levels" and "Custom Levels" pack :( Level file can't be loaded at all, and the progress file name becomes "Level.progress", missing the last "s" of "Levels" :|

That's because the levelpacks are identified by folder rather than name, but the "Levels" and "Custom Levels" packs don't have a directory associated.
Since the progress file was based on the folder name I decided to set the levelpackPath of these levelpacks to their name, but forgot the trailing slash.
I've fixed this by adding another type of levelpack: "COLLECTION".

Progress files are now stored in a sub-folder for each type (addon/, custom/, main/).
Collection type levelpacks will store the progress in a %USER%/progress/ and not in a subfolder to prevent 'collision'.

odamite {l Wrote}:Otherwise nice work on the levelpack names. Isn't it now possible to translate levelpack names too? :)

This should be possible now, I'll start working on it. ;)

There are still a few things to do, first of it's quite unclear for the user which levelpack is selected when there are more than one with the same name.
Should we add some sort of indication where the levelpack is from (custom, addon, main) or should we leave it as is, since it is should be quite rare.

Another thing we should think about is the naming of the folders, at the moment the entered name is used, but this could contain illegal characters.
We should sanitize the names before using them as folder name, but it shouldn't be possible to get the same sanitized name from different names.

At the moment the levelpack folder is moved for every name change, maybe we should only change the name attribute of the levelpack. :think:
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Edward_Lii » 09 May 2013, 15:40

Hello all,

Recently I added some stuff regarding music and sound effects.
It should now be a lot easier for levelpacks to specify which music they want. :)

There are still some things I want to implement:
    - Allow bundled music, more or less the same way a theme can be bundled with a levelpack.
    - Let levelpacks bundle/define sound effects they need.
    - Allow changing the music through the scripting API. --Done in svn revision 657
    - Extend the Addons menu to support music lists. --Done, addons can now place files/folders anywhere within the user data path.
    - Perhaps add more default sound effects? (e.g. pushing a block, landing on a block)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator