[IDEA] Achievement System?

[IDEA] Achievement System?

Postby acme_pjz » 26 Jul 2012, 10:21

Hi everyone,

Maybe we can add an achievement system to Me and My Shadow? :) For example, winning 100 levels, died 100 times, etc.
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Re: [IDEA] Achievement System?

Postby Edward_Lii » 26 Jul 2012, 11:16

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:Maybe we can add an achievement system to Me and My Shadow? :)

I quite like that idea and we can implement some game statistics along the way since they are needed to keep track of the achievements.
Things like the total distance travelled by the player/shadow, number of switched pulled, etc...

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:For example, winning 100 levels, died 100 times, etc.

You call dying one hundred times an achievement. :p

I think we should start discussing the things we want in V0.5 and perhaps make a roadmap going all the way up to V1.0?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 26 Jul 2012, 17:25

Hi Edward_Lii,

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:I quite like that idea and we can implement some game statistics along the way since they are needed to keep track of the achievements.
Things like the total distance travelled by the player/shadow, number of switched pulled, etc...

Maybe we should start gathering achievements ideas somewhere, in this thread? :)

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:I think we should start discussing the things we want in V0.5 and perhaps make a roadmap going all the way up to V1.0?

Roadmap for V0.5 is OK, but for further versions, I'm not sure :| It depends...

Personally, I'd like V0.5 has:

* Level/levelpack uploading
* Basic achievements system
* Full OpenGL renderer which supports fast image rotating and zooming
* Maybe some more new block types? For example change gravity direction (Rotating the level completely, needs fast image rotating), and collectible power-ups...
acme_pjz

Postby acme_pjz » 29 Jul 2012, 09:58

Hi Edward_Lii,

I have added StatisticsManager in SVN r487 to manage stats and achievements, basic feature implemented: load/save statstics file, display new achievement :)

screenshot-1.png

BTW, the posts in the middle are off-topic... maybe you can split them out to a new topic, say "V0.5 roadmap"?
acme_pjz

Postby acme_pjz » 30 Jul 2012, 15:28

:| Now I need an icon for "Statistics and Achievements", 32x32 grayscale png with alpha channel, just like the credits icon in the bottom-right corner...
acme_pjz

Postby odamite » 30 Jul 2012, 17:40

Here you go acme_pjz:
trophy2.png
The basic shape, clean and recognizable.
trophy2.png (1.39 KiB) Viewed 11333 times
trophy.png
This one will look good beside the credits icon.
trophy.png (1.2 KiB) Viewed 11333 times
It's hard to combine both statistics and achievements. I decided to go only with achievements bacause isn't that the main focus? Please tell me what you think. :)

One thing that concern me is the look of the menu in general. Why some items are text and some icons? Should we rethink the menu concept? This needs some thinking and discussion. :think:

EDIT: sorry acme_pjz, your post seemed like you asked for an icon and didn't have one. So I created some but didn't check the svn repo...
odamite

Postby acme_pjz » 30 Jul 2012, 17:53

Hi odamite,

Not bad :) Indeed, I see some cup-like icons in OpenGameArt, but no statistics icon... So maybe the title should changed to "Achievements and Statistics"? :)

odamite {l Wrote}:One thing that concern me is the look of the menu in general. Why some items are text and some icons? Should we rethink the menu concept? This needs some thinking and discussion. :think:

I don't know, I just see the credits icon, so statistics is an icon, too :| Maybe frequently used features should be in menu, and others as icons? Looks like what STK0.8 does...

odamite {l Wrote}:EDIT: sorry acme_pjz, your post seemed like you asked for an icon and didn't have one. So I created some but didn't check the svn repo...

Don't worry, it's only a bad programmer art ;)
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 30 Jul 2012, 18:01

Hello,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:
odamite {l Wrote}:One thing that concern me is the look of the menu in general. Why some items are text and some icons? Should we rethink the menu concept? This needs some thinking and discussion. :think:

I don't know, I just see the credits icon, so statistics is an icon, too :| Maybe frequently used features should be in menu, and others as icons? Looks like what STK0.8 does...

I think the two can coexist in our case, see the text as the frequently used and important entries.
They lead to menus where the user either navigates further, configures something, plays, etc...

The icons on the other hand lead to information, the credits to the credits screen and the statistics/achievements to the statistics.
A user doesn't have to visit these menus each time he plays so they are kind of hidden from view.
Note that is just they way I look at it. ;)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 30 Jul 2012, 18:10

Maybe addons should be icon, too? not sure :|
acme_pjz

Postby odamite » 30 Jul 2012, 21:42

Hello all,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:Not bad :)

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:So maybe the title should changed to "Achievements and Statistics"? :)

I see you've changed it. However I think that the title is kind of long either way. I think that it could be changed to "Achievements" or "Statistics". Name "Achievements" doesn't cover statistics but achievements are kind of statistics. Remember that I'm just thinking here... :D

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:I think the two can coexist in our case, see the text as the frequently used and important entries.
They lead to menus where the user either navigates further, configures something, plays, etc...

The icons on the other hand lead to information, the credits to the credits screen and the statistics/achievements to the statistics.
A user doesn't have to visit these menus each time he plays so they are kind of hidden from view.
Note that is just they way I look at it. ;)

That sounds good to me too. :cool:

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:Maybe addons should be icon, too? not sure :|

I don't quite like that...it should be quite often used after we update our system. :) The only text that could be expressed as icon in my opinion is "Quit". But I don't mean that it should. ;)
odamite

Postby acme_pjz » 31 Jul 2012, 07:29

odamite {l Wrote}:The only text that could be expressed as icon in my opinion is "Quit".

This is what exactly STK 0.8 does :lol:
acme_pjz

Postby Tedium » 31 Jul 2012, 18:31

Hello everyone,

I really like the achievement idea. (Getting an achievement for killing both characters rules :)!) And I do like the current menu. Having smaller icons for more technical stuff makes sense to me. Here are some suggestions:

- Also show the not yet achieved achievement to the player. This will let the player know what he or she has to do to get a certain achievement.
- We should discuss what achievements we want in the game and in what order they are going to be displayed (Alphabetic, ordered by theme (deaths, levels, editor etc.) or chronological (e.g. from the first to the last achievement the player accomplishes)
- I prefer a fixed size for the achievement pop-up.
- More icons (I would like to work on that, but it's more important to first decide what achievements to use). Here are some trophies we could use as achievement-icons :):

Trophies.png
Trophies.png (2.61 KiB) Viewed 11283 times
Tedium

Postby ctdabomb » 31 Jul 2012, 18:41

great trophies! though maybe they should be changed a bit somehow so they don't look exactly like the regular characters?
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby acme_pjz » 01 Aug 2012, 07:43

Hi,

Tedium {l Wrote}:Also show the not yet achieved achievement to the player. This will let the player know what he or she has to do to get a certain achievement.

I'm not sure about this idea :think:

Tedium {l Wrote}:We should discuss what achievements we want in the game

You can see http://meandmyshadow.sourceforge.net/wi ... r:Acme_pjz

Tedium {l Wrote}:and in what order they are going to be displayed (Alphabetic, ordered by theme (deaths, levels, editor etc.) or chronological (e.g. from the first to the last achievement the player accomplishes)

Currently it's ordered by the alphabetic of achievement id (because std::map is sorted by key, which is achievement id), and achievement receiving time is not saved :|

Tedium {l Wrote}:I prefer a fixed size for the achievement pop-up.

Not sure, because there can be multi-line descriptions :|
acme_pjz

Postby odamite » 01 Aug 2012, 08:57

Hello everyone,

Tedium {l Wrote}:- Also show the not yet achieved achievement to the player. This will let the player know what he or she has to do to get a certain achievement.

I think that showing all achievements is good bacause then player can set one as a goal and have fun. But at the same time it's part of the fun when player doesn't exactly know what kind of achievements there are. Maybe these could be combined somehow? There could be normal and mystery achievements. Normal would clearly state what to do but mystery one would give clues with text or just icon.

Also I think that achievements like "Finish 50 levels" should show player the progress.

Tedium {l Wrote}:- We should discuss what achievements we want in the game and in what order they are going to be displayed (Alphabetic, ordered by theme (deaths, levels, editor etc.) or chronological (e.g. from the first to the last achievement the player accomplishes)

I would say that chronological is the best.
odamite

Postby leovilok » 02 Aug 2012, 22:41

Achievement idea : amount of flight by level (as in tux racer)
it would be (jump time in the level + fall time in the level) / time to finish the level
basic values could be 50%, 75%, 90%
leovilok