Cloudscape, Snowscape and collectables

Cloudscape, Snowscape and collectables

Postby Tedium » 30 Jun 2012, 20:23

Hello everyone,

I've finally finished those collectables, the images for the snow theme and some levels. (It took me quite some time, because I had lots of other things to do :()

Collectable-Preview.png

- We can add animations to the collectables. A default animation to make them look like they are floating and a pickup-animation.
- Sounds for picking them up.
- The HUD of the collectables needs to be fixed.

See the attachments for the files. The levels I made are also down below.
Attachments
levelpack.zip
(1.98 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
data.zip
(892.23 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
Tedium

Re: Cloudscape, Snowscape and collectables

Postby Edward_Lii » 01 Jul 2012, 08:41

Hello Tedium,

Tedium {l Wrote}:I've finally finished those collectables, the images for the snow theme and some levels. (It took me quite some time, because I had lots of other things to do :()

Thanks for creating them, they look great and are just in time for V0.4 ;)

Tedium {l Wrote}:- We can add animations to the collectables. A default animation to make them look like they are floating and a pickup-animation.

That isn't such a bad idea, I believe that you can already add an animation to the default look.
For a pickup-animation some additional code is needed to trigger it, I will look into that.

Tedium {l Wrote}:- Sounds for picking them up.

This can easily be implemented we only need a suitable sfx under an open license.

Tedium {l Wrote}:- The HUD of the collectables needs to be fixed.

This has been fixed in the latest svn (rev. 432).

Tedium {l Wrote}:See the attachments for the files. The levels I made are also down below.

The Cloudscape theme has also been updated in revision 432, I haven't included Snowscape because I assume it isn't finished yet/requires not yet implemented features.
Also if you like I can upload your levelpack to the addon system.

One thing I thought would be nice is to add a closed state to the exit block.
This way the user has a bit more feedback if he has all the collectables in the level.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Tedium » 01 Jul 2012, 10:56

Hello Edward_Lii,

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:That isn't such a bad idea, I believe that you can already add an animation to the default look.

I'll try ;).

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:This can easily be implemented we only need a suitable sfx under an open license.

Open Game Art probably has some suitable sounds. I might find some time to search.

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:This has been fixed in the latest svn (rev. 432).

I'm not too sure about how it currently looks :think:. Perhaps I'll make a mock-up to show my idea on how it's supposed to look :p.

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}: I haven't included Snowscape because I assume it isn't finished yet/requires not yet implemented features.

You're right. I can't wait for the particle-system to be finished and putting it all together :).

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:Also if you like I can upload your levelpack to the addon system.

Yes, I would like you to do that. Feel free to use those in other levelpacks if needed.

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:One thing I thought would be nice is to add a closed state to the exit block.

I'll work on that ;).
Tedium

Postby Tedium » 01 Jul 2012, 18:16

Updating OGA art submissions...
meandmyshadow-preview.png

meandmyshadow-preview2.png
meandmyshadow-preview2.png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 12302 times
Attachments
meandmyshadow-characters.zip
(19.4 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
meandmyshadow-blocks.zip
(419.33 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
Last edited by Tedium on 01 Jul 2012, 19:01, edited 3 times in total.
Tedium

Postby ctdabomb » 01 Jul 2012, 18:17

I am not sure if I like the new collectables, they seem more like miniature suns than something you would want to grab......
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby odamite » 05 Jul 2012, 18:53

Hello everybody!

I really like the collectable graphics! I'm just wondering why you Tedium made them colored? Almost everything else in the game is monochrome. On other hand they are more visible and attractive to pick up. :)

We really need sound effects for the collectable. So I decided to try to make some of my own. I haven't got much experience with sound stuff. That's why I would like to know how did I do. Let's say they are under CC-BY. ;)
collect3.wav
(65.19 KiB) Downloaded 362 times

collect2.wav
(86.18 KiB) Downloaded 401 times

collect.wav
(86.18 KiB) Downloaded 410 times

Tedium, the level pack is pretty good. It wasn't neither too easy or too hard. Thanks for it! :D

So we will need some sound effect but I would like to see some closed/open door states.
odamite

Postby Tedium » 06 Jul 2012, 23:08

Hello odamite,

odamite {l Wrote}:I really like the collectable graphics!

odamite {l Wrote}: I'm just wondering why you Tedium made them colored?

1 The (relatively) high saturation contrasts with the almost monochrome background. (like you said)
2 The orange orb and blue background create a complementary contrast.

odamite {l Wrote}:So I decided to try to make some of my own.

They're nice :). IMHO the second one is best. These sound I've found on OGA are quite interesting too (the first ones): http://opengameart.org/content/postive-sounds.

odamite {l Wrote}:So we will need some sound effect but I would like to see some closed/open door states.

I've been thinking about that. A closed door (with a door closing the doorway) looks too "material" and "normal". It would suggest that these exits are actually normal doors, which they aren't. It needed to be more abstract (like those collectables). The collectables aren't keys, so why would the doors have solid locks? I tried a lock symbol, but it looked out of place. I ended up with the ghost-door idea. The door only becomes "real" when all collectables are collected.

Locked-door-preview.png
Locked-door-preview.png (16.54 KiB) Viewed 12223 times
It's the normal door with 85% transparency and complete desaturation. The ghost doors fades into an ordinary exit when all orbs are collected.

Tedium {l Wrote}:Perhaps I'll make a mock-up to show my idea on how it's supposed to look :p.

orb-preview.png
This collectable HUD makes the screen look more balanced. It's more compact and disappears when the player finishes the level (making it even more like the level name display). That will lead to consistency (essential for quality).
Tedium

Postby odamite » 07 Jul 2012, 12:04

Hello Tedium,

I've implemented the collectable GUI according to your mockup and added open and closed states to the exit in SVN r.424. Exit doesn't have an animation yet. Maybe you could make it?

About the sound effects. I'm glad you liked mine. :D The ones you proposed are good. However they are quite smooth and have reverb. They might now fit the other sounds in MeAndMyShadow which are more raw and short. Note that this is just my opinion.
odamite

Postby ctdabomb » 07 Jul 2012, 13:34

odamite {l Wrote}:Note that this is just my opinion.

and when you are a project leader/admin your opinion counts. :D
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby Tedium » 08 Jul 2012, 15:08

odamite {l Wrote}:Exit doesn't have an animation yet. Maybe you could make it?

Here you go: I made the exit animation (and I rearranged the tile.png to do so). The theme.mnmstheme is updated as well.

I also attached an adjusted dutch translation file :D:
Attachments
nl2.po.zip
(4.97 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
Cloudscape-Exit.zip
(42.59 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
Tedium

Postby Edward_Lii » 08 Jul 2012, 15:38

Hello Tedium,

Tedium {l Wrote}:Here you go: I made the exit animation (and I rearranged the tile.png to do so). The theme.mnmstheme is updated as well.

I also attached an adjusted dutch translation file :D:

Great work, both your changes have been committed to the svn repository.
They are in svn revision 440. ;)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 09 Jul 2012, 08:28

Hi everyone,

I think this sphere-like collectible is good, however IMHO it's better if rotating :) I'd like to do an animation using Blender :) Any other suggestions?
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby acme_pjz » 09 Jul 2012, 09:37

There are blend file and render results in the archive file, and the preview:
Attachments
collectible.gif
collectible.gif (5.79 KiB) Viewed 12136 times
blender.7z
(90.01 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
acme_pjz

Postby MCMic » 09 Jul 2012, 13:30

I don't like this rotating idea.
Can't really explain why, I guess the 3D effect does not fit the 2D aspect of the game.
MCMic

Postby qubodup » 09 Jul 2012, 14:16

@acme_pjz it looks like a dangerous spike and the 3d effect does not fit the style of the game.

It might be suitable if there was an animated glow on the drawn sprite or sparkles would fly from/around it. (I haven't actually played the game! my opinion is based on screenshots!)

By the way, I recently created renders of a 3d crystal for 2d games too: http://opengameart.org/content/rotating ... ion-8-step I was told it doesn't look that good inside of games though (too shiny apparently).
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 10 Jul 2012, 07:25

I think so, and I'm not so good at artwork :| maybe a sphere with some texture and rotating is better, and maybe we need some non-photo-realistic rendering...
acme_pjz

Postby Tedium » 10 Jul 2012, 14:09

I've done some adjustments to the editor toolbar:

toolbar-old.png
▲Old toolbar.

toolbar.png
▲New toolbar.
Tedium