Snow theme

Snow theme

Postby Tedium » 03 Jun 2012, 10:43

Hello everyone,

I've been working on different weather themes. I started with the snow theme. Here are the differences between the snow theme and normal theme:
- A different background. A little bit stormier (higher contrast) and colder (deeper blue).
- Snow on top of some blocks. (Snow should never be placed on shadow blocks)
- Snow particles. Big ones and small ones.

Snow.png

Some ideas not shown in the mock-up:
- Slippery blocks. Adding more level possibilities.
- Unique block variations for this theme. Like snowed under wooden notification blocks or icicle spikes.
- A snow layer in the foreground and background. The foreground should have bigger snowflakes than the background.
- Snow themed music?

And something not directly connected to the subject: Wouldn't it be more logical to draw the player in front of his shadow?
Tedium

Re: Snow theme

Postby odamite » 03 Jun 2012, 12:34

Hello Tedium,

That mockup looks absolutely amazing. Unfortunately it won't make it for the next 0.4 release. There's a lot of things to make the new proposed things to work and easy to use. However I'm sure that this will be possible in the future. :)

Slippery blocks sounds like a good idea. I'm just wondering should they have a low friction or not at all. I'm sure that these can be used to create a little different levels and variation is always a good thing. Finally when all this is possible in the game, we should have a really good snow themed levelpack. :D

I've never thought about the order of the player and the shadow. It's indeed more logical if player is above shadow. And this is trivial to change. :)

Finally one more thing: we would need a new key graphics for Cloudscape. We currently have one from SuperTux but in my opinion it doesn't quite fit in...
odamite

Postby Tedium » 03 Jun 2012, 16:00

Thank you for your feedback,

odamite {l Wrote}: I'm just wondering should they have a low friction or not at all.

I think the latter, it adds more to the puzzle aspect of the game.

odamite {l Wrote}:Finally one more thing: we would need a new key graphics for Cloudscape. We currently have one from SuperTux but in my opinion it doesn't quite fit in...

I thought about something less material. Perhaps some sort of energy orbs or something abstract? It's important that I think about it first, because it can be used many times in a level :think:.
Tedium

Postby odamite » 03 Jun 2012, 16:30

Hello Tedium,

Tedium {l Wrote}:I thought about something less material. Perhaps some sort of energy orbs or something abstract? It's important that I think about it first, because it can be used many times in a level :think:.

It's basically up to the theme maker what's the collectable item is. I think that it should be something unique and distinguishable so player understands to collect it. However we should have consensus what it should be so player knows what they do and are. In my opinion your idea is good and original. :)
odamite