German translation

German translation

Postby Wuzzy » 28 May 2012, 23:43

Hi, I have the German translation finished. It is based on the latest SVN build (and with "latest", I mean revision 404).
translated: 236
fuzzy: 0
not translated: 4
total: 240
The 4 untranslated strings are translations for keys:
  • undo
  • compose
  • power
  • clear
My keyboard doesn't have any of these keys, I wonder how they are called in German (is there even a German version of those keys?). Of course, if you look into a dictionary, you would find instantly a translation, but I guess it may differ from the usual text that is usually printed on the key. For example, the German keyboard version of "Escape" is called "Escape", although the word "escape" translates to "Flucht".

BTW: Woohoo! I am the first German translator! I translated some other projects, too, but I was not the first. Until now. :)
Attachments
de.po
German translation for Me & My Shadow, SVN revision 404
(23.67 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
Wuzzy

Re: German translation

Postby qubodup » 29 May 2012, 13:45

Congrats! :)
compose - seems to be called the same: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose-Taste

If you feel like doing more to-German translation (and fixing English grammar), join us at DNT: http://dnt.dnteam.org/FoRuM/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=151 / https://translations.launchpad.net/dccn ... ghtmare/de (I recommend letting the lead dev know that you want to translate, it might be that they need to do some action to sync launchpad and .po files first).
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby odamite » 30 May 2012, 12:42

Hello

Wuzzy thank you very much for the translation work you've done! It's great to see new translations :D

The key names have been taken directly from SDL source code which is pretty old and universal library. I don't have some of the keys on my keyboard either and it's best to just leave them as they are.

Anyway you'll find the your translation in SVN soon. Thank you once again!
odamite

Postby KroArtem » 30 May 2012, 14:14

I know this info is not suitable for this topic, but I'd like to warn that I'm planning to do Russian translation after 21-th of June. Just to keep you informed :)
KroArtem

Postby odamite » 31 May 2012, 09:40

Hello KroArtem,

Currently we should have all strings needed and I think that there aren't going to be many changes. So it should be quite safe to start translating even now! But of course we should have a official string freeze some time soon. After all it's great that you're willing to do translation. Thanks! :)
odamite

German translation for Tutorial

Postby Wuzzy » 10 Jun 2012, 01:17

Because the tutorial is also an important part of the game here's the translation of the tutorial levels.
I've translated the signs and level titles.
By the way I noticed this: The level title is shown in the translated version in the level selection menu, but ingame it always shows the English version. I guess this is unintended; at least I would expect an uniform behaviour of this game: Either it should show always the original language title or always the translated title, but it should not be mixed.

translated: 63
fuzzy: 1
not translated: 0
total: 64
Attachments
de.po
German Tranlation for Me and My Shadow - Tutorial levels.
(12.43 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
Wuzzy

Postby Sauer2 » 10 Jun 2012, 11:07

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
#: tutorial/tut16.map:14
#, fuzzy
msgid ""
"There's another type of trigger: the switch.\n"
"Use the switch to activate the elevator so that you\n"
"can reach the exit."
msgstr ""
"Benutz diesen Schalter, um den Aufzug zu aktivieren,\n"
"damit du den Ausgang erreichen kannst."

could look like

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
#: tutorial/tut16.map:14
msgid ""
"There's another type of trigger: the switch.\n"
"Use the switch to activate the elevator so that you\n"
"can reach the exit."
msgstr ""
"Es gibt noch eine weitere Sorte von Auslösern: Den Schalter.\n"
"Aktiviere mit Hilfe dieses Schalters den Aufzug,\n"
"damit du den Ausgang erreichen kannst."

BTW: Isn't msgid usually supposed to be a short id rather than a complete english sentence ?
Sauer2

Postby odamite » 10 Jun 2012, 12:07

Hello,

Wuzzy thank you very much for the translation and Sauer2 for suggestion for the fuzzy string. :)
But it's quite hard for me to tell if it's perfect or is there something to still change. So that's why I'm not yet going to include the translation.

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:By the way I noticed this: The level title is shown in the translated version in the level selection menu, but ingame it always shows the English version. I guess this is unintended; at least I would expect an uniform behaviour of this game: Either it should show always the original language title or always the translated title, but it should not be mixed.

Thank you for reporting this bug. Actually it can be fixed by changing only one line. However I've also noticed some strange behaviour in levelpack translation when changing languages without restarting. I'll try to look in to these.

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:BTW: Isn't msgid usually supposed to be a short id rather than a complete english sentence ?

It could be but not necessarily. Also I haven't seen it used so commonly. The current system works just great. ;)
odamite

German translation update

Postby Wuzzy » 10 Jun 2012, 21:47

Okay, here are updated versions of the translation both for Tutorial and the GUI.

Tutorial:
I included Sauer2's suggestion. Also I translated "trigger" with "Auslöser" instead of "Schalter" on all other strings, too. For consistence, of course. Hopefully nobody complains anymore. :)

GUI (main translation):
  • All those old msgids that are not used anymore removed. Please note that it fits now to the messages.pot that were created after the string freeze. The first version was created before the string freeze.
  • Some minor spelling mistakes corrected.
  • Some German strings were shortened (but the meaning is the same) to fit into the window. Before that some strings were too long and overlapped.
  • Translation for "compose" included: It is "Compose". (lol that was hard :D)
Attachments
de.po
Updated German Tutorial translation.
(12.5 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
de.po
Updated German game translation.
(23.47 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
Wuzzy

Postby odamite » 11 Jun 2012, 10:54

Hello, thanks Wuzzy for your contitributions and Sauer2 and qubodup for your suggestions. This will definitely make MeAndMyShadow 0.4 even better. Thank you all.
odamite