BUG: floating ME/shadow

BUG: floating ME/shadow

Postby ctdabomb » 25 Apr 2012, 20:24

well, kind of....
ME/shadow can stand on a block even when its feet are off of it.
Attachments
Screenshot-3.png
Screenshot-3.png (14.23 KiB) Viewed 6253 times
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Re: BUG: floating ME/shadow

Postby odamite » 26 Apr 2012, 13:31

Hello ctdabomb,

First off here's the reason:
bb.png
bb.png (15.18 KiB) Viewed 6243 times

So, the collision system of meandmyshadow is based on bounding boxes which are basically rectangles. This is because it's fast and simple to do and it works. This issue could be solved by making player's bounding box smaller but this would change behaviour with spikes. I personally think that all should be kept as they are now.

Anyway thank you for taking this up.
odamite

Postby ctdabomb » 26 Apr 2012, 13:42

oh, didn't realise about the spikes. could you just change the hitbox/bounding box for the block?
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby odamite » 27 Apr 2012, 09:39

Hello,

Sorry but changing block's bounding box is out of the question! That would mess up everything in the game...

Currently I think that everything is all right. We can change player's bounding box if it's necessary. I would like to hear opinions from other people on this subject!
odamite

Postby acme_pjz » 27 Apr 2012, 09:46

Hi everybody,

IMHO we shouldn't change any bounding box because this will break old record files and some levels :| Maybe we should give them a big foot? :lol:
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby ctdabomb » 27 Apr 2012, 18:18

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:Hi everybody,

IMHO we shouldn't change any bounding box because this will break old record files and some levels :| Maybe we should give them a big foot? :lol:

sure :D
or we could just redraw the people, IMHO, they are quite ugly.
ctdabomb

Postby Edward_Lii » 28 Apr 2012, 06:47

Hello ctdabomb,

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:sure :D
or we could just redraw the people, IMHO, they are quite ugly.

They might not be the best looking, but if we redraw them we would have the same problem unless the feet are as big as his head. :p
I think the characters are fine how they are right now.

One possible solution would be to add a "balancing" animation/frame for when the player or the shadow is on the edge of the block.
I'm not keen on this idea, because I think it will be annoying to see the player balance every time he walks of a block.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby MCMic » 28 Apr 2012, 09:45

Prevent the player from going off the block would break most of the levels I made and also most of the ones I played…
MCMic

Postby Edward_Lii » 28 Apr 2012, 10:09

Hello MCMic,

MCMic {l Wrote}:Prevent the player from going off the block would break most of the levels I made and also most of the ones I played…

I didn't say that the player should be prevented from walking off.
My suggestion was to leave the physics intact, but change the visual appearance.

So in case of the screenshot, the feet of the player will be on the block and the player balancing on the edge.
But I don't really like this idea, best is to keep it as it is.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator