Key collectable patch

Key collectable patch

Postby davy » 25 Apr 2012, 15:06

Hello, I am submiting my key collectable patch. It's as it sounds, I added a key block into the game and to advance to the other level you would need to collect all of the keys.

Along the "collectable.patch" file I added a "data" folder which contains the images of the key. Just throw it in you "meandmyshadow" directory.
To add the key block just use the Level Editor.

UPDATED:

Fixed the key count reset on play record.
    Modified the key and added 3 different versions of it (for some option). The keys were modified by "ctdabomb".

Added another patch to the rar file which is attached to this post, it is the same except it makes the player to pick up the key automatically.
Attachments
collUpdated+auto patch.rar
(99.75 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Last edited by davy on 26 Apr 2012, 19:05, edited 2 times in total.
davy

Re: Key collectable patch

Postby Edward_Lii » 25 Apr 2012, 15:26

Hello davy,

davy {l Wrote}:Hello, I am submiting my key collectable patch. It's as it sounds, I added a key block into the game and to advance to the other level you would need to collect all of the keys.

Along the "collectable.patch" file I added a "data" folder which contains the images of the key. Just throw it in you "meandmyshadow" directory.
To add the key block just use the Level Editor.

Thanks for your work, I still need to look at the code closely. ;)

But I think it can be committed in svn soon.

Thanks again for contributing. :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 25 Apr 2012, 16:38

Hi davy,

Great work! :D although there are some minor bugs: when the level is finished the game replay will be autoplayed but the key count doesn't get resetted...

Suggestion: maybe the key should be automatic collected without press down key?
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby davy » 25 Apr 2012, 17:48

Thanks for reporting a bug.

About the suggestion. Maybe it would be better to pick it up without pressing the down key, it wouldn't stop the flow and the key would be something that you have to collect either way to advance to the next level. Thanks for the suggestion :) .
davy

Postby ctdabomb » 25 Apr 2012, 20:21

automatic pickup would be better I think, though down arrow would fit better with the current gameplay....
The key should maybe look a bit different? i was thinking more of something like this:
key.png
key.png (5.2 KiB) Viewed 10967 times
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby davy » 25 Apr 2012, 20:55

Thanks for a response :) .

About the key. Yeah, it was quickly drawn ^^. Do you mind if I were to use the key image you posted in the future? Credit would be given.
davy

Postby ctdabomb » 25 Apr 2012, 21:21

sure, though it actually came from the keys from Supertux Forest
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby davy » 26 Apr 2012, 13:03

Well thanks anyway.
davy

Postby ctdabomb » 26 Apr 2012, 14:09

here are three keys, a gold one, a silver, and bronze. they should fit well enough with cloudscape theme, but I don't know what size they should be.......
key-silver.png
key-silver.png (5.9 KiB) Viewed 10943 times
key-gold.png
key-gold.png (6.29 KiB) Viewed 10943 times
key-bronze.png
key-bronze.png (6.21 KiB) Viewed 10943 times
ctdabomb

Postby davy » 26 Apr 2012, 15:51

Wow, thanks for the trouble of finding them ;) . Dont worry about the size, I can resize it.
davy

Postby ctdabomb » 26 Apr 2012, 16:16

davy {l Wrote}:Wow, thanks for the trouble of finding them

finding them? :P I made them! :P actually, I modified the supertux keys. they are GPL
ctdabomb

Postby davy » 26 Apr 2012, 18:58

Thanks for the replies. Updated the first post.
davy

Postby odamite » 27 Apr 2012, 10:07

Hello everyone,

davy, This is just great! Thank you for contributing with implementing this new awesome feature! Hopefully you've learn something new and useful! :cool:

Only thing that bothers me is the art. I'm not saying it's bad but in my opinion it doesn't quite fit on the Cloudscape theme. For example it isn't pixel art and it has a drop shadow. I would like to see some new graphics... (looking at you Tedium :)) I would also like to see a door at the exit which is closed and then opened when enough keys.

Anyway this feature is pretty much coded now and other things can be fixed later.
odamite

Postby davy » 27 Apr 2012, 10:16

odamite {l Wrote}:Hello everyone,

davy, This is just great! Thank you for contributing with implementing this new awesome feature! Hopefully you've learn something new and useful! :cool:

Only thing that bothers me is the art. I'm not saying it's bad but in my opinion it doesn't quite fit on the Cloudscape theme. For example it isn't pixel art and it has a drop shadow. I would like to see some new graphics... (looking at you Tedium :)) I would also like to see a door at the exit which is closed and then opened when enough keys.

Anyway this feature is pretty much coded now and other things can be fixed later.

Thanks! There's not much I can do on the graphics side. But I was thinking the same "doors open/closed" thing but that would include another image for the doors. Plus I'm thinking of adding some sounds to it. Anyways, gonna work on that some time soon :) .
davy

Postby Edward_Lii » 28 Apr 2012, 11:02

Hello davy,

I've committed your patch to svn.
Thanks for your contribution. :D

Note that a next patch should be made using the latest svn.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby davy » 28 Apr 2012, 13:37

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:Hello davy,

I've committed your patch to svn.
Thanks for your contribution. :D

Note that a next patch should be made using the latest svn.

This patch was made using the latest svn too. At first I was using the stable release but then moved to the latest svn :) . I hope there wans't anything wrong with this patch regarding the version of svn.
davy

Postby Edward_Lii » 28 Apr 2012, 13:45

Hello davy,

davy {l Wrote}:This patch was made using the latest svn too. At first I was using the stable release but then moved to the latest svn :) . I hope there wans't anything wrong with this patch regarding the version of svn.

Oh sorry, I now see that my last sentence can be interpreted in two ways.

I didn't mean that your patch wasn't made against the latest svn.
What I meant to say was that the next patch you make shouldn't contain the collectable changes as diff(erence).

Hope it's clear now. :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby davy » 28 Apr 2012, 14:04

Oh, you mean that I should only make a patch than contains only the code I wrote. Yeah, I guess it would make a lot more sense than patching everything so I would risk to overwrite the latest changes and such. :)
davy