compiling problems

compiling problems

Postby davy » 17 Apr 2012, 16:48

Hi, im new here. I would like to contribute to the project but i seem to find difficulties compiling it. Im using Windows and just grab all header and source files into a new project, link everything up with SDL and stuff but the problem is that i get things like: "archive.h" is missing and i cant find it on the downloaded folder.

By the way, how everything works here? Lets say i add a new feature or something, should i just post my updated version or maybe do an addon or something? Maybe some general info. Help would be appreciated :)
davy

Re: compiling problems

Postby ctdabomb » 17 Apr 2012, 17:28

davy {l Wrote}:By the way, how everything works here? Lets say i add a new feature or something, should i just post my updated version or maybe do an addon or something? Maybe some general info. Help would be appreciated :)

yes. just upload it here.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby odamite » 17 Apr 2012, 17:36

Hello davy!

Thank you for your interest! We appreciate any help. So thanks! :cool:

We have a nice wiki full of information! There you can find some important information :)

We are using SDL libraries but in addition also libcurl and libarchive. They are used for our addon system. So you will need all of these libraries to compile the game. Good luck with it. If you come across more problems, feel free to ask more help.

So you want to contribute to this project? I would suggest to use (if you aren't already using) the SVN development version. This is recommended because it contains all recent changes. I can be browsed online too but you should really download it.

We have a todo list/bug tracker here. There is some task which you could pick one and implement it. But if you have some other idea in your mind, please share it with us! :D

If you have modified some code and implemented some feature, we can surely use it! There are many ways to do it. Maybe the best way for you is to create a patch and upload it here. If it's not possible, you can upload modified files here also. We could also give you direct access to our SVN repository but I'm afraid that I cannot do it.

Good luck and thanks for your interest. :)
odamite

Postby Edward_Lii » 17 Apr 2012, 17:51

Welcome davy! :)

First of all I assume your the person who mailed me, sorry I haven't had the time to reply.
But I can answer them here. ;)

davy {l Wrote}:Hi, im new here. I would like to contribute to the project but i seem to find difficulties compiling it. Im using Windows and just grab all header and source files into a new project, link everything up with SDL and stuff but the problem is that i get things like: "archive.h" is missing and i cant find it on the downloaded folder.

Not sure how to set it up using under Windows, but the error suggest that you're missing libarchive.
According to acme_pjz the latest release contains a bug, so you'll have to use the (latest) svn version of libarchive.

If this turns out to be too much trouble you can go with a stable release also, libarchive is only used for the addon system.

davy {l Wrote}:By the way, how everything works here? Lets say i add a new feature or something, should i just post my updated version or maybe do an addon or something? Maybe some general info. Help would be appreciated :)

In the beginning you post patches on either the forums or the bug/issue tracker (as a fix to a bug).
If you start contributing more, posting patches and waiting approval will be quite annoying so you can get svn access.

Note that a patch or svn commit doesn't have to fully implement a feature, but the code needs to be compilable.

Here follow the answers to your mail:
davy {l Wrote}:1.Do I simply throw every cpp and h file in my compiler and start doing
something or do you use some sort of a addon system or something, if so,
please tell me more.

You should be able to get it to compile by simply adding all the source files and linking them to the libraries.
Not sure how it works under Windows but we use CMake as our build system.
So to compile the source and run the game these are the steps:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
cmake .
make
meandmyshadow

davy {l Wrote}:2.Is there some to do list or something similar?

The TODO list on the wiki is outdated, we use the bug/issue tracker as a todo list.
Also keep an eye on the forum threads we discuss things we want/need and how to implement them.

davy {l Wrote}:3.Are you ranks increasing are its still just a few of you who are
seriously working on the code?

We don't have any kind of rank system.
Generally speaking we have a few core developers (which have access to svn) and others contribute by making patches, giving feedback, etc...

You might wonder how to become one of the core developers, just contribute a lot. :p

davy {l Wrote}:4.Maybe some general info, how much time you give into this and so on...

As much as you want (and can), we don't have a time schedule and we don't force anyone to work on the project for X number of hours.
Although you might understand that if something half-working is committed to svn it's expected to be finished/continued in a reasonable time.

I hope this answers your questions, also have a look on the wiki, there's some useful information there.

Anyway, thanks for interest. :D
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby davy » 17 Apr 2012, 18:02

Thanks for the info, everything is clear right now :)
davy

Postby ctdabomb » 17 Apr 2012, 18:21

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:giving feedback, etc...

My speciality :p
very sarcastic
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby davy » 17 Apr 2012, 21:46

Ok, so i was linking everything and stuff, grabbed the libs u guys mentioned and yeah, ive got some linking problems yet again :) . Ive linked Curl lib and all the others but not the libarchive and MD5, i think its because for that i wasnt able to find .lib files in the archives of the libs ive downloaded. Sorry for the trouble :) .

A screen : http://postimage.org/image/3n60k7vdd/full/
davy

Postby Edward_Lii » 18 Apr 2012, 05:40

Hello davy,

davy {l Wrote}:Ok, so i was linking everything and stuff, grabbed the libs u guys mentioned and yeah, ive got some linking problems yet again :) . Ive linked Curl lib and all the others but not the libarchive and MD5, i think its because for that i wasnt able to find .lib files in the archives of the libs ive downloaded. Sorry for the trouble :) .

From what I see you miss libSDL_gfx, which contains the functions ending with RGBA.
There isn't a MD5 library, those functions come from libopenssl. (perhaps a slightly different name?).

About libarchive, not sure how to set it up.
I thought that the original source would work under Windows(here), but seeing this page:
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libarchive.htm

Perhaps acme_pjz can give some hints on how to set it up?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 18 Apr 2012, 11:23

Hi davy,

For SDL_gfx download the source code from its official site http://www.ferzkopp.net/joomla/content/view/19/14/

About libarchive, I'm not sure if package from http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libarchive.htm doesn't contain bugs; at least you can try linking the program with this library and try downloading the addon. If it contains bug then the file will be extracted to a wrong directory... (I use this http://code.google.com/p/libarchive/)

About MD5 under Windows, it will use built-in Windows API (in advapi32.dll) so you can just compile MD5.cpp and it slould work...
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby davy » 18 Apr 2012, 13:29

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:Hello davy,

davy {l Wrote}:Ok, so i was linking everything and stuff, grabbed the libs u guys mentioned and yeah, ive got some linking problems yet again :) . Ive linked Curl lib and all the others but not the libarchive and MD5, i think its because for that i wasnt able to find .lib files in the archives of the libs ive downloaded. Sorry for the trouble :) .

From what I see you miss libSDL_gfx, which contains the functions ending with RGBA.
There isn't a MD5 library, those functions come from libopenssl. (perhaps a slightly different name?).

About libarchive, not sure how to set it up.
I thought that the original source would work under Windows(here), but seeing this page:
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libarchive.htm

Perhaps acme_pjz can give some hints on how to set it up?

Yeah i was a bit off with the names :) . But anyways i was able to compile it, like i've assumed it was because i dindnt have some .lib files, but after doing stuff with "cmake" and so on it works perfectly now. Was a bit hasty i guess, thanks for the answers though :) .
davy

Postby Edward_Lii » 18 Apr 2012, 16:33

Hello davy,

davy {l Wrote}:Yeah i was a bit off with the names :) . But anyways i was able to compile it, like i've assumed it was because i dindnt have some .lib files, but after doing stuff with "cmake" and so on it works perfectly now. Was a bit hasty i guess, thanks for the answers though :) .

Good to hear you got it working. :)

Also if you like, feel free to drop by in our IRC channel. ;)
http://meandmyshadow.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Contact#IRC
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator