Cloudscape V2.2

Cloudscape V2.2

Postby Tedium » 03 Mar 2012, 20:49

I've improved the Cloudscape theme. Here's a screenshot:
meandmyshadow.png

The most noticeable difference is the background. I've fixed the lighting on the characters and I've done some small adjustments to the blocks.

EDIT: Small improvements.

You can download it here :D :
Attachments
Cloudscape.zip
(436.64 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Last edited by Tedium on 14 Apr 2012, 22:16, edited 4 times in total.
Tedium

Re: Cloudscape V2

Postby odamite » 03 Mar 2012, 22:00

Hello Tedium,

I really like everything you've done in this new version. The background is great and I loved those updated blocks especially detail in fragile blocks and spikes. :cool:

Game graphics are the most important part of a game. Your look very polished and professional. This is definitely going to be in version 0.3! Thank you for making them! :)
odamite

Postby Edward_Lii » 03 Mar 2012, 22:06

Hello Tedium,

Great improvements, especially the background. :D
I've updated the theme in svn, it's just in time for V0.3. ;)

Should the new background image also be used as menu background?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Tedium » 03 Mar 2012, 22:09

I'm glad you like them :D .
odamite {l Wrote}:The background is great and I loved those updated blocks especially detail in fragile blocks and spikes. :cool:

They toke a lot of time, but it's definitely worth it ;).
Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:Should the new background image also be used as menu background?

Yes.
Tedium

Postby Tedium » 04 Mar 2012, 16:05

I've improved some of the menu gfx as well. See the attachment below.
Attachments
gfx.zip
(6.17 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Tedium

Postby odamite » 04 Mar 2012, 17:42

Thank you once again for your contribution Tedium :D.
I really love the contrast and smoothness of your new graphics. Those menu graphics are now in svn rev. 294! Keep it up :)
odamite

Postby odamite » 04 Mar 2012, 18:15

Hello all again!

Ok now the graphics are updated so I think that we should give some love to the icon as well. I would like to get your opinion on these icons. :cool:

16x16
meandmyshadow16.png
Just cropped
meandmyshadow16.png (424 Bytes) Viewed 19570 times

32x32
This is the hard one. Which one is the best?
meandmyshadow32_1.png
I don't quite like stretching
meandmyshadow32_1.png (1.38 KiB) Viewed 19570 times
meandmyshadow32_2.png
Just cropped
meandmyshadow32_2.png (791 Bytes) Viewed 19570 times
meandmyshadow32_3.png
Scaled and moficated by hand. Looks kind of strange. :(
meandmyshadow32_3.png (810 Bytes) Viewed 19570 times

48x48 / 64x64
meandmyshadow48.png
meandmyshadow48.png (968 Bytes) Viewed 19570 times

I think that we could use different size icons also on Linux. They look nicer but not sure how to implement them.

The icon is simple and great in my opinion but does it describe the game well? Should there be also the shadow visible? What do you think?
odamite

Postby Edward_Lii » 04 Mar 2012, 18:20

Hello odamite,

odamite {l Wrote}:Ok now the graphics are updated so I think that we should give some love to the icon as well. I would like to get your opinion on these icons. :cool:

They look great! :D

odamite {l Wrote}:This is the hard one. Which one is the best?

I'd go for the second image.
The first one looks fat :p And the last one looks like some sort of statue/doll of the player.
And he looks a bit too serious/angry.

odamite {l Wrote}:They look nicer but not sure how to implement them.

I think we can create an .ico file that contains the different resolutions.
This reminds me that the titlebar icon should also show the 16x16 icon. (Not sure how to do this.)

odamite {l Wrote}:The icon is simple and great in my opinion but does it describe the game well? Should there be also the shadow visible? What do you think?

I don't think the shadow should be in the icon, the player's head is unique enough and the shadow won't fit in the 16x16 icon.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Tedium » 04 Mar 2012, 18:30

odamite {l Wrote}:Ok now the graphics are updated so I think that we should give some love to the icon as well.

Good job and thanks.

odamite {l Wrote}:I would like to get your opinion on these icons. :cool:

I think cropping is the best solution for the 32 x 32 icon. The other icons are fine :) (Just the character without his shadow).
Tedium

Postby odamite » 04 Mar 2012, 19:03

Hello and thanks for feedback! So icons will be the player just cropped. :D

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:I think we can create an .ico file that contains the different resolutions.
This reminds me that the titlebar icon should also show the 16x16 icon. (Not sure how to do this.)

I think .ico is for Windows but it would probably work too on Linux. Of course .ico for Windows needs to be updated also. We have one in our svn repository with gimp source. Anyway according to freedesktop icon specification (for Linux):
So, you're an application author, and want to install application icons so that they work in the KDE and Gnome menus. Minimally you should install a 48x48 icon in the hicolor theme. This means installing a PNG file in $prefix/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps. Optionally you can install icons in different sizes. For example, installing a svg icon in $prefix/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps means most desktops will have one icon that works for all sizes. You might even want to install icons with a look that matches other well known themes so your application will fit in with some specific desktop environment.

It is recommended that the icons installed in the hicolor theme look neutral, since it is a fallback theme that will be used in combination with some very different looking themes. But if you don't have any neutral icon, please install whatever icon you have in the hicolor theme so that all applications get at least some icon in all themes.

So I think we should have our icons as PNGs in our source code release. And we are going to leave getting them work for the packagers. :)
odamite

Postby Edward_Lii » 04 Mar 2012, 19:06

Hello odamite,

odamite {l Wrote}:So I think we should have our icons as PNGs in our source code release. And we are going to leave getting them work for the packagers. :)

IIRC, I did that with the Linux packages I built.
A line was used to place the icon from the build dir to /usr/share/icons/<can't remember>/.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby odamite » 04 Mar 2012, 19:13

Hello Edward_Lii,

Basically icons should be /usr/share/icons/hicolor/ in directory like 16x16 or 64x64 named meandmyshadow.png. In desktop file icon field is just meandmyshadow and it should automatically find icon with right size. Or this is how I have understood this all. :D
odamite

Postby Edward_Lii » 04 Mar 2012, 19:17

Hello odamite,

odamite {l Wrote}:Basically icons should be /usr/share/icons/hicolor/ in directory like 16x16 or 64x64 named meandmyshadow.png. In desktop file icon field is just meandmyshadow and it should automatically find icon with right size. Or this is how I have understood this all. :D

That's exactly how I read it, with exception that it should be /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps
Simply adding this line to the meandmyshadow.desktop file is enough:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
Icon=meandmyshadow

@Tedium, perhaps you can upload this theme to OGA?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Tedium » 05 Mar 2012, 17:36

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:@Tedium, perhaps you can upload this theme to OGA?

I think I'll submit the Cloudscape theme when Me and My Shadow 0.3 is done. That way I can provide some publicity for the new release :).
I also want to give visitors of the OGA site the possibility to download the game in which this theme is used.
Tedium

Postby Tedium » 06 Mar 2012, 15:54

I've submitted the Cloudscape theme to OGA :cool:.

Characters
Blocks
Tedium

Postby odamite » 06 Mar 2012, 18:05

Hello everyone,

@Tedium,
Great! Lets hope this will encourage people to test our game and also create alternative themes for everyone's preferences. Thanks :D

@Edward_Lii,
Putting icon on title bar and window list should be possible by using SDL_WM_SetIcon. But the problem is where can we find the icon for sure on every platform?
odamite

Postby Edward_Lii » 06 Mar 2012, 18:09

Hello odamite,

odamite {l Wrote}:Putting icon on title bar and window list should be possible by using SDL_WM_SetIcon. But the problem is where can we find the icon for sure on every platform?

I've seen that method before, what we could do is keep a copy of the (16x16) icon in the data folder.
The path to the data folder should always be know by the program in order to run, then we can point the method there.

One downside of this approach is that if we update the icon we have to do it at two places. :|

BTW, I'm trying to create Linux binaries and while testing got meandmyshadow installed system-wide (including the icons).
Now when I start meandmyshadow from my development environment I can see the 16x16 icon in the titlebar. :cool:
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby odamite » 16 Mar 2012, 18:16

Hello again,

Couple of things that I've noticed after some time. First off the player graphics in the icon haven't been updated to Cloudscape v2. That's quite funny because after all this is the v2 thread :D. This was my fault and I'm sorry. Secondly it seems that .ico file haven't been updated either. There is that gimp file (.xcf) source which can be used for updating.

Lastly the icon contains black in record marks and with some dark wallpaper or theme will hide them. Then the icon will look off-placed and unbalanced. So I think that we could use gray color for them. Here what I have changed:
meandmyshadow64_black2.png
meandmyshadow64_black2.png (970 Bytes) Viewed 19427 times

meandmyshadow64_black1.png
meandmyshadow64_black1.png (973 Bytes) Viewed 19427 times

Feedback is welcome!
odamite

Postby Edward_Lii » 16 Mar 2012, 18:35

Hello odamite,

odamite {l Wrote}:Couple of things that I've noticed after some time. First off the player graphics in the icon haven't been updated to Cloudscape v2. That's quite funny because after all this is the v2 thread :D. This was my fault and I'm sorry. Secondly it seems that .ico file haven't been updated either. There is that gimp file (.xcf) source which can be used for updating.

Lastly the icon contains black in record marks and with some dark wallpaper or theme will hide them. Then the icon will look off-placed and unbalanced. So I think that we could use gray color for them. Here what I have changed:

We should really update the icon before tomorrow.
About the marks being too dark, I agree, making them gray might not 100% correspond to how they look in-game but it will solve the "off-centered" icon when using dark/black wallpapers.

Are you going to update the icons or should I do it?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Re: Cloudscape V2.1

Postby Tedium » 06 Apr 2012, 15:56

New death animations added! See the OP.
Tedium

Postby Edward_Lii » 07 Apr 2012, 07:13

Hello Tedium,

Tedium {l Wrote}:New death animations added! See the OP.

Thanks for making the death animations, they look great. :D

I've committed the update to svn, it's in rev. 334.
Perhaps you can add them to the OGA submission also?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby odamite » 07 Apr 2012, 09:41

Hello,

Nice work Tedium and it's even better when seen in-game! :D

One thing I noticed was the misalignment when player/shadow is crushed horizontally between blocks. Animation seem to occur a 1 block down. I think that the problem isn't in the theme but the way the game handles collisions. :|

EDIT: Sorry it's kind of the wrong thread...
odamite

Postby Edward_Lii » 08 Apr 2012, 08:23

Hello odamite,

odamite {l Wrote}:One thing I noticed was the misalignment when player/shadow is crushed horizontally between blocks. Animation seem to occur a 1 block down. I think that the problem isn't in the theme but the way the game handles collisions. :|

This is quite hard to solve without changing the collision/squash system.
The problem is that the way squashing works is that after the normal collision the game checks if the player is still in a block.

In most cases this work without problem.
The game iterates through all the blocks.
It moves the player up (moving block) and after that it iterates again and detects that the player has collision with a block, even after the corrections.
This is probably a block above the player, and this means he gets squashed.

Now we take the horizontal movement and the same happens.
The game iterates, detects collision, moves the player to the left/right.
But now the player is inside a wall of blocks, which on there turn move the player down/up quite a lot.
During the second iteration there's still collision so the player is squashed, but his location is lowered.

Currently there's no way to know how much the player is moved in order to move him back.
I'll try to fix this.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Re: Cloudscape V2.2

Postby Tedium » 14 Apr 2012, 18:11

Small improvements to the notes, switches and portals! See the OP.
Tedium

Re: Cloudscape V2.2

Postby odamite » 14 Apr 2012, 18:27

Hello Tedium, Great work yet again! Even small changes will make a big difference in the whole game. Cloudscape V2.2 is now on svn r.341 thanks to you! :D
odamite