Minor Fixes - ideas

Minor Fixes - ideas

Postby nick_diak » 08 Feb 2012, 12:33

Idea 1: It would be useful if the user could use the "alt+f4" command to exit the game.
Fix 1: (for example) @ lvl 18 player have to activate the switch but if he wont do it at the right moment he'll stuck. I know you have already two categories of trigger's activation (toggle and once),but it would be helpfull if player gets a message "Press 'R' " or something else.. Same for the shadow's death, but you already mention it!
Fix 2: The shadow, its not actually a shadow if its not following (-recording) the player's movement course. The "rec" records the input arrow movement, even when the player hits on a wall. I can explain that with a screen-rec i guess.
Fix 3: @Lvl 7-Spiky Travel (Minor bug): Recorded too. When the player stands on the shadow he's sliping.

hope this helped even a little.. :think:
Attachments
Rec#03.rar
for Fix3
(301.3 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
Rec#02.rar
for Fix2
(285.72 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
nick_diak

Re: Minor Fixes - ideas

Postby Edward_Lii » 08 Feb 2012, 13:20

Hello nick_diak,

First of thanks for your feedback. :)
nick_diak {l Wrote}:Idea 1: It would be useful if the user could use the "alt+f4" command to exit the game.

AFAIK alt+f4 should just work, the operating system should send a stop signal to meandmyshadow.
SDL will put an event of the type SDL_QUIT in the event queue which meandmyshadow reacts to by fading out and doing some final things before quitting.
The same goes for pressing the X on the titlebar of the window.

In older versions there were some GUI's that ignored the SDL_QUIT event, these should be solved but perhaps there's still one left.
So could you tell us in which menu/part of the game you were when you tried alt_f4?

nick_diak {l Wrote}:Fix 1: (for example) @ lvl 18 player have to activate the switch but if he wont do it at the right moment he'll stuck. I know you have already two categories of trigger's activation (toggle and once),but it would be helpfull if player gets a message "Press 'R' " or something else.. Same for the shadow's death, but you already mention it!

That's quite hard to implement. It's almost impossible for the game to know that the level can't be won anymore.
If for example the shadow was for some reason on the other side it doesn't matter if the moving block is stopped at the wrong place.
Also this kind of things really depend on the level and unless we implement some sort of scripting, it won't be solved.

nick_diak {l Wrote}:Fix 2: The shadow, its not actually a shadow if its not following (-recording) the player's movement course. The "rec" records the input arrow movement, even when the player hits on a wall. I can explain that with a screen-rec i guess.

I see what you mean, but IMHO this system allows more (difficult) puzzles.
And it can still be explained as being your shadow, what your shadow does is copy your moves, not your movement.
When walking against the wall you still make steps which your shadow will copy.
This also explains why you can't record a jump when falling down, the player doesn't make a jump move mid-air. ;)

nick_diak {l Wrote}:Fix 3: @Lvl 7-Spiky Travel (Minor bug): Recorded too. When the player stands on the shadow he's sliping.

This is indeed a (minor) bug, so I created a ticket for it on the bug tracker:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/meandmyshadow/ticket/45

nick_diak {l Wrote}:hope this helped even a little.. :think:

Every little helps, thanks for giving feedback. :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator