Level recording not working properly

Level recording not working properly

Postby Tedium » 05 Feb 2012, 11:14

My best time attempt at the third level of the classic levelset isn't saved properly. I've finished that level, but the replay doesn't show that :(.
Here's that recording:
Attachments
LittleHelp.map-best-time.zip
(491 Bytes) Downloaded 316 times
Tedium

Re: Level recording not working properly

Postby Edward_Lii » 05 Feb 2012, 11:41

Hello Tedium,

Tedium {l Wrote}:My best time attempt at the third level of the classic levelset isn't saved properly. I've finished that level, but the replay doesn't show that :(.
Here's that recording:

I tried it and got the same result. :(

Not sure what is causing it, anyway I've created a ticket for it:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/meandmyshadow/ticket/44

Thanks for reporting this bug.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 05 Feb 2012, 17:08

Hi Tedium,

IMHO maybe there is a space not recorded :shock: Need to check the code carefully...

Another question: which SVN revision did you used?
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby Tedium » 05 Feb 2012, 17:45

I've used revision 240. Good luck finding the problem ;).
Tedium

Postby acme_pjz » 06 Feb 2012, 07:44

Hi,

Maybe I have found a bug related to this bug. I have fixed it and upload it to r242. Please test it and give feedbacks :)
acme_pjz

Postby ctdabomb » 06 Feb 2012, 15:27

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:Hi,

Maybe I have found a bug related to this bug. I have fixed it and upload it to r242. Please test it and give feedbacks :)

whats the bug related to this bug that we're supposed to test?
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby Edward_Lii » 06 Feb 2012, 16:39

Hello ctdabomb,

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:whats the bug related to this bug that we're supposed to test?

acme_pjz fixed a bug and it could be the same or related to the bug mentioned by Tedium.
It's now the question if the problem is solved or not, this can only be done by testing. ;)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Tedium » 06 Feb 2012, 17:23

Yet another faulty recording. I used revision 242. My shadow walked of the platform with the checkpoint, but that wasn't recorded.
Is it just me or has the bug got something to do with recording (in-game) not always being recorded (level-recording)?
Attachments
Recordings.zip
(1.1 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Tedium

Postby Edward_Lii » 06 Feb 2012, 18:05

Hello Tedium,

Tedium {l Wrote}:Yet another faulty recording. I used revision 242. My shadow walked of the platform with the checkpoint, but that wasn't recorded.
Is it just me or has the bug got something to do with recording (in-game) not always being recorded (level-recording)?

:(
Looking at those recordings it seems that indeed a space isn't included in the replay?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 08 Feb 2012, 09:29

:( I have fixed other minor bugs but not sure if it's related to this bug (in r250). And I have added some debug code, the game will add some log text and the player and shadow's position to the recording file. When replaying the record if something goes wrong the error message will be printed to terminal. Please find buggy recording file using SVN r250 and upload the buggy recording file to analyze :|
acme_pjz

Postby MCMic » 08 Feb 2012, 13:32

BTW, is it known that recording bugs with notifications?
I played the record of a game in which I've read a notification, it showed it, but then never closed it, I had to press enter, and the record did not finished correctly.
MCMic

Postby Edward_Lii » 08 Feb 2012, 13:36

Hello MCMic,

MCMic {l Wrote}:BTW, is it known that recording bugs with notifications?
I played the record of a game in which I've read a notification, it showed it, but then never closed it, I had to press enter, and the record did not finished correctly.

No, it's not know but I can't imagine how that would cause a problem replaying the recording.
The point is that when a msgBox is shown the GameState doesn't get updated, so the recording doesn't continue.

I tried it on Walk in The park and I didn't encounter this problem.
Perhaps the actual problem wasn't with the notification block but happened to be at the same moment?

Anyway if you encounter it again (in the latest svn) could you upload the recording?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 08 Feb 2012, 16:50

Hi,

IMHO maybe we shouldn't display notification when the game is replayed from recording?
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 08 Feb 2012, 16:52

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:IMHO maybe we shouldn't display notification when the game is replayed from recording?

I think that's best because the purpose of the recording is to see how it has been done and not reading the signs.

I've been thinking what if change the Game.cpp so that it has different "states".
One would of course be the normal play, the other could be replay and another could be used for the interlevel mode.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Tedium » 09 Feb 2012, 18:14

I found another one.
Attachments
tut09.map-best-time.zip
(718 Bytes) Downloaded 300 times
Tedium

Postby acme_pjz » 09 Feb 2012, 19:04

Tedium {l Wrote}:I found another one.

:? Well, there is a bug in POASerializer about saving empty string. It does not related to level record bug :| IIRC older version of POASerializer didn't have this bug, some new changes breaks the compatibility :| I have fixed it in latest SVN revision...
acme_pjz

Postby acme_pjz » 20 Apr 2012, 15:29

Unfortunately, there still have bad bug of level recording :( looks like when you save the game and reload the game, the position of moving blocks goes wrong :(

[EDIT] After investigating the game time calculation and button recording are no problem during save/load, the bug should be in moving blocks save/load code...

[EDIT] Finally the bug fixed in SVN r347 :)
Last edited by acme_pjz on 20 Apr 2012, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 20 Apr 2012, 15:39

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:Unfortunately, there still have bad bug of level recording :( looks like when you save the game and reload the game, the position of moving blocks goes wrong :(

[EDIT] After investigating the game time calculation and button recording are no problem during save/load, the bug should be in moving blocks save/load code...

Do you have a test case since I can't seem to reproduce it.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 20 Apr 2012, 16:08

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:Unfortunately, there still have bad bug of level recording :( looks like when you save the game and reload the game, the position of moving blocks goes wrong :(

Do you have a test case since I can't seem to reproduce it.

Design a simple level with a checkpoint and a moving block, then copy 2 commented-out debug code in Block.cpp and 1 commented-out debug code in Player.cpp from SVN r347, play the level, wait 10 seconds and press 'P' then the terminal will display current time and the position of moving block (and remembers current time, when restarted and time pass to the remembered time the message will display again automatically). Press 'R' to restart the game, go to the checkpoint, DOWN F3 DOWN F3 DOWN F3 DOWN F3 ... you'll find that the new position of moving block is different from old one if you don't use this bug fix...
acme_pjz