About the music

Re: About the music

Postby Edward_Lii » 04 Feb 2012, 12:15

Hello odamite,

odamite {l Wrote}:@Edward_Lii
I think we really should have an IRC-channel. There some of the conversation is be easier but I think that it shouldn't replace this forum. Maybe IRC is more for developers? Anyway our channel could be on Freenode #meandmyshadow or #MnMS. :think:

We can always try, and I don't think it will replace the forums since they are still useful for long-term discussions, screenshots/videos, release announcements.
And IRC can be used for development discussions (and perhaps support?).

I'll try to create a channel on Freenode, #meandmyshadow is better than #MnMS IMHO. ;)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Edward_Lii » 04 Feb 2012, 15:38

Hello vaev,

vaev {l Wrote}:Don't stretch yourself too much with it. I am capable of figuring it out myself too but won't have time for it today. If it gives you too much trouble with dependencies or stuff, just leave it to be my headache..don't want to eat away your time :)

Thanks, it indeed gives me some trouble with the dependencies (SDL_gfx).

I'm afraid you'll have to compile it yourself. :(
To get the latest svn run this command:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
svn co https://meandmyshadow.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/meandmyshadow meandmyshadow

And make sure you got these packages (and their -dev(el)) installed:
   * libSDL
   * libSDL_image
   * libSDL_ttf
   * libSDL_mixer
   * libSDL_gfx
   * libcurl
   * libarchive
   * cmake
   * libopenssl
   * g++

And then you run this command to generate the Makefile, it should also warn you if something is missing:
cmake .

Now comes the actual compiling:
make

And if everything goes alright you can run meandmyshadow by running this command in the folder:
./meandmyshadow

Here's some information about compiling on the wiki:
http://meandmyshadow.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/SVN
http://meandmyshadow.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Compiling

If you've got any questions left feel free to ask. ;)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 05 Feb 2012, 07:47

Hi Edward_Lii,

I have a bad idea that is add some SDL_gfx code to our source codes :| SDL_gfxPrimitives.c and SDL_rotozoom.c :| At least the Windows binary is statically linked with SDL_gfx
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby nick_diak » 05 Feb 2012, 23:38

Sorry to interrupt with something irrelevant, but its about game's music! It would be nice if in future versions user could choose between 2 buttons : sound-music and sound-effects so they can mute sounds separately. Now if u want to mute the effects, you mute also the music :(

btw im big fan of Final Fantasy's (especially 8) music, i hope u ll find something similar!
nick_diak

Postby Edward_Lii » 06 Feb 2012, 17:58

Hello nick_diak,

nick_diak {l Wrote}:Sorry to interrupt with something irrelevant, but its about game's music! It would be nice if in future versions user could choose between 2 buttons : sound-music and sound-effects so they can mute sounds separately. Now if u want to mute the effects, you mute also the music :(

Thanks for your suggestion, I totally agree. ;)

And that's why I implemented it right away, it's in the latest svn version. (244).
Attachments
settings2.png
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby vaev » 13 Feb 2012, 07:10

I have finished the menu theme. It can be found at http://www.neptulon.fi/mams . You will find a standalone full version and an initial playthrough which can be looped from timepoint 38,4 seconds. I've also included the loop part with a wrapped reverb tail from the end in the beginning.. I'm suggesting that instead of looping the initial playthrough file we 1) play the initial 2) then play the loop file indefinitely. This way the reverb tail would be there as intended. It's barely audible but might make it sound choppy to the trained ear if the second file is looped from the time point mentioned.

The theme is mostly a variating and/or mirroring canon where the piano is the leader (representing the player) and the vibraphone is the shadow. They are accompanied by the double bass and the cello.
vaev

Postby Edward_Lii » 13 Feb 2012, 15:37

Hello vaev,

vaev {l Wrote}:I have finished the menu theme. It can be found at http://www.neptulon.fi/mams . You will find a standalone full version and an initial playthrough which can be looped from timepoint 38,4 seconds. I've also included the loop part with a wrapped reverb tail from the end in the beginning.. I'm suggesting that instead of looping the initial playthrough file we 1) play the initial 2) then play the loop file indefinitely. This way the reverb tail would be there as intended. It's barely audible but might make it sound choppy to the trained ear if the second file is looped from the time point mentioned.

It sounds great, especially the part from 1:17. ;)
I think it's best to play the loop file after the initial file, this requires some modification to the SoundManager but that's no problem.
At the moment I'm quite busy so I'm afraid I can't include it right away. :|

vaev {l Wrote}:The theme is mostly a variating and/or mirroring canon where the piano is the leader (representing the player) and the vibraphone is the shadow. They are accompanied by the double bass and the cello.

I listened it again after reading that and it's fun how you can recognize the player and the shadow. :)

Thanks for making this wonderful track.
I hope to include it ASAP.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator