Level statistics

Level statistics

Postby Edward_Lii » 15 Jan 2012, 14:14

Hello all,

I've started working on level statistics.
Currently the only thing changed is that an unlocked level isn't the same as a won level. (Although virtually the same)

The following stats should be implemented:
    * Time
    * Recordings made
    * Deaths/plays

I have got one question:
Should the time be the leading stat, meaning that when you break your best time the other stats will be changed to the ones from that go, even if that's lower.
Or should every stat be the best in that area, meaning that the time stat could be from a different go then the "recordings made" stat?

Feedback is welcome! :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Re: Level statistics

Postby acme_pjz » 15 Jan 2012, 15:58

Hi,

I have a question: how do we identifiy different levels? I have an idea: calculate the file's MD5 :| Is it OK?

As for the unlocked level and won level, perhaps we can draw a star on a won level :)
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 15 Jan 2012, 16:01

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:I have a question: how do we identifiy different levels? I have an idea: calculate the file's MD5 :| Is it OK?

Currently I'm using the filename in the progress file.
I think this works fine enough since there can't be two levels with the same file name in a levelpack.
Levels in a different levelpack can have the same name without interfering stats.

When using an MD5sum the stats will be useless when the level changes only slightly.
Then again the stats can become invalid when the level is changed. :think:

Not sure what the best solution is.

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:As for the unlocked level and won level, perhaps we can draw a star on a won level :)

That's a good idea. :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby MCMic » 16 Jan 2012, 14:55

What is death/plays?
It's not something particular to a won game…
When you win, you obviously did not die. If you store the number of lost games before the won one, does that mean you count all lost games in the time calculated?
MCMic

Postby Edward_Lii » 16 Jan 2012, 16:45

Hello MCMic,

MCMic {l Wrote}:What is death/plays?
It's not something particular to a won game…
When you win, you obviously did not die. If you store the number of lost games before the won one, does that mean you count all lost games in the time calculated?

I simply thought that every time the player dies it counts as a die (and thus also as a play), winning will only count as a play but not as a die.
But somehow I don't think this is right, perhaps we should leave it at how many times the player played that level.

The question remains, is a play when the player started the level -OR- when the player (re)started the level?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Tedium » 16 Jan 2012, 16:55

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:As for the unlocked level and won level, perhaps we can draw a star on a won level :)

That's a great idea :). I think the player should be rewarded with stars. When the player finishes a level, important stats (like recordings and attempts) will be compared to set values of that specific level. He then gets a bronze star (for finishing the level), a silver star (for playing moderately) or a golden star (for playing that level very well).
Tedium

Postby ctdabomb » 16 Jan 2012, 18:37

not sure if this is the right place to put it: it is kind of annoying when choosing the next level to play(the one I haven't beaten) I want to click on the black level because that is what I would think i should choose the white one which is kind of weird. sorry if this is confusing.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby Edward_Lii » 16 Jan 2012, 18:39

Hello ctdabomb,

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:not sure if this is the right place to put it: it is kind of annoying when choosing the next level to play(the one I haven't beaten) I want to click on the black level because that is what I would think i should choose the white one which is kind of weird. sorry if this is confusing.

Do you mean that you want to click on the first dark level after the white ones, since that looks like the first one not yet beaten?
I think if we add a star for when you finished a level it will hopefully be a lot clearer, since you'll have white level blocks with stars, one without star, and the rest dark.

I hope I got it right. ;)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 16 Jan 2012, 18:44

yes.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby Edward_Lii » 21 Jan 2012, 19:12

Hello all,

Made some progress, there are now two stats: time and recordings.
Currently they aren't visible in the levelselect screen, but hopefully they will be soon.

When you've won a level you will be rewarded with a medal, at the moment you can only get a bronze medal.
My idea was that winning the level is enough to get the bronze medal, reaching a set time limit -OR- using less recordings than a set value will give you bronze.
Getting both the time and the recordings will give you a golden star. :cool:

Here's a screenshot:
stats.png

It's in svn rev.206, feedback is welcome! :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 21 Jan 2012, 19:20

I like it, at least I like the picture :twisted:
ctdabomb

Postby Tedium » 21 Jan 2012, 19:28

This makes playing the game more rewarding :).
Tedium

Postby ctdabomb » 21 Jan 2012, 19:30

In the picture, the arrows for switching levelsets are kid of far away from the levelset name.
ctdabomb

Postby Tedium » 21 Jan 2012, 22:28

I've made some "cloudscape" themed stars:
medals.png
medals.png (1.5 KiB) Viewed 12335 times
Tedium

Postby ctdabomb » 21 Jan 2012, 23:00

Tedium {l Wrote}:I've made some "cloudscape" themed stars:
medals.png

if they are going to be cloudscape themed maybe they should have clouds or something to make them more cloudy?
ctdabomb

Postby Tedium » 22 Jan 2012, 00:05

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:if they are going to be cloudscape themed maybe they should have clouds or something to make them more cloudy?

I'm not sure, the background is very cloudy :think: . If I make the medals more cloudy, they would be harder to see. I want them to be very noticeable.
Tedium

Postby Edward_Lii » 22 Jan 2012, 13:32

Hello all,

I've made some progress, but now I've hit a problem. :(
Per level you have the time it took and the number of recordings it took to finish the level.
At the moment those stats are overwritten every time you finish the level.

I changed it so that only when you improve it it will be updated.
Somehow it feels strange to see a good time (made with 10 recordings) with underneath it "Recordings: 5" (from a different go).
After a small change the stats are from your fastest go, this introduces a different problem.
If you want to reduce the number of recordings you'll have to beat your best time.

So my thought was to somehow include the number of recordings in the time. (1 recording = 10s)
Or calculate them into a score.
Instead of earning silver or gold by beating two target numbers it can be set to two score values (silver and gold).

What do you think?

Tedium {l Wrote}:I've made some "cloudscape" themed stars:

Thanks they are in svn rev. 207. :)

BTW, should the bronze medal also be a challenge (beating a certain time/score) -OR- a reward winning the level?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby MCMic » 22 Jan 2012, 17:03

Bronze should be just winning the level

[EDIT] and you should store best time and best recording separately, if it feels strange it means you dot not display it correctly. Just find a way to display stats so that it's obvious both values are not from the same recording.
MCMic

Postby ctdabomb » 24 Jan 2012, 17:07

If you are looking for a place to put the stats, maybe one of the lower corners of the levelset screen?
ctdabomb

Postby Edward_Lii » 28 Jan 2012, 16:04

Hello all,

I've added a target time and target number of recordings for the tutorial levelpack.
They are in svn rev. 215.

Feedback is welcome! :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 28 Jan 2012, 17:40

Hi,

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:I've added a target time and target number of recordings for the tutorial levelpack.

I'm implementing level record file auto-save; maybe in 30 minutes it will be done. ;)
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 28 Jan 2012, 17:55

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:I'm implementing level record file auto-save; maybe in 30 minutes it will be done. ;)

That's good news!
BTW, I got one compile error when compiling svn revision 216.
On line 118 of TreeStorageNode.cpp:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
static void md5AppendMap(Md5& md5,const map<string,vector<string>>& m){

The problem lies in the >> there should be a space between them. (> >)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 28 Jan 2012, 18:34

Hi Edward_Lii,

Auto-save feature is implemented in SVN r218, please have a try :)

As for the ">>" problem, I also fixed it in r218.
acme_pjz

Postby acme_pjz » 28 Jan 2012, 18:43

Now we need a level stats and auto-save record select GUI in level select screen. My idea is when you click the level then the MD5 of this level will be calculated then the name of auto-save record file is determined. In the bottom half of screen the level stats and play-the-record button is shown. Is it a good idea or there is any other suggestions?
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 28 Jan 2012, 18:51

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:Auto-save feature is implemented in SVN r218, please have a try :)

At first it didn't work, turns out that the records and records/autosave directories weren't present.
I've added the creation of these directories, just like it's done with the other folders in the user directory.
The fix is in svn rev 219. ;)

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:Now we need a level stats and auto-save record select GUI in level select screen. My idea is when you click the level then the MD5 of this level will be calculated then the name of auto-save record file is determined. In the bottom half of screen the level stats and play-the-record button is shown. Is it a good idea or there is any other suggestions?

I think it's the best solution so far, this of course requires to change the level select behaviour (first click=select, second=start).

Also I think I'm going to work on a popup shown when the level is finished.
At the moment if you try to get a gold medal for a level you'll automatically enter the next level, which you have to quit and then you can see if you've succeeded.
By adding a popup we can add an entry "Restart level", and on the popup the user should be able to see what medal he got for it.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator