Where to Start

Where to Start

Postby Shurul » 13 Jan 2012, 20:45

Hi!

I am new in this open-source world and I am quite interested in this project so in contribute on it as well.

I am a programmer that can write some C++ (I hope this adventure help me to learn more about it) and some scripting languages like Python and some of TCL or LUA. My mayor interest are video games and game programming.

Can you explain me the workflow and if there is a list of TO DO for beginners?

Cheers

PD: Sorry about my English, as you can Imagine I am not English-speaker.
Shurul

Re: Where to Start

Postby Edward_Lii » 14 Jan 2012, 07:48

Hello Shurul,

Shurul {l Wrote}:I am new in this open-source world and I am quite interested in this project so in contribute on it as well.

I am a programmer that can write some C++ (I hope this adventure help me to learn more about it) and some scripting languages like Python and some of TCL or LUA. My mayor interest are video games and game programming.

Can you explain me the workflow and if there is a list of TO DO for beginners?

Every contribution is welcome. ;)
I'm afraid that your scripting language skills can't be used in meandmyshadow, but c++ is always welcome.

We're currently in the middle of a release (0.2) so the tasks for that release are done.
But very soon we'll start working on the next release which will create new tasks (and bugs :| ).

We don't have a specific list for beginner tasks, we do have a bug/issue tracker that we use for all tasks (including easy ones):
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/meandmyshadow/

And of course if you have your own suggestions or ideas what you would like to code, feel free to do/ask.
If you've got any questions about the code just ask. ;)

Thanks again for your interest.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Shurul » 17 Jan 2012, 00:41

Hi.

I am struggling a bit for get a build in windows. Any one know how to get a build working on that platform. I have CMake and visual studio 2005 it detects the compiler without problems but then in the dependencies I get confused on how I must install them (CURL and SDL).
Any help from the guys building the windows package?.

Thanks in advance.
Shurul

Postby acme_pjz » 17 Jan 2012, 10:31

Hi,

Shurul {l Wrote}:I am struggling a bit for get a build in windows. Any one know how to get a build working on that platform. I have CMake and visual studio 2005 it detects the compiler without problems but then in the dependencies I get confused on how I must install them (CURL and SDL).

In fact under Windows I don't use CMake to create the visual studio project. I just downloading all necessary header files, librarys and DLLs of dependency (namely SDL, SDL_image, SDL_mixer, SDL_TTF, SDL_gfx, libcurl and libarchive) from the official website, then create a project, add all the files in src/ folder to the project and set include/library path/additional librarys then compile it.
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz