editor bugs

editor bugs

Postby ctdabomb » 10 Jan 2012, 23:15

I found some bugs in the editor. both times I couldn't recreate the problem.
crash when right clicking moving spike.
crash when clicking configure.
Sorry, I wish I could give you more information.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Re: editor bugs

Postby Edward_Lii » 11 Jan 2012, 18:09

Hello ctdabomb,

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:I found some bugs in the editor. both times I couldn't recreate the problem.
crash when right clicking moving spike.
crash when clicking configure.
Sorry, I wish I could give you more information.

Not sure what could be causing it.
I can remember fixing a bug related to the config tool and moving blocks.
Not sure if that fix made it in the 0.2rc1?

Anyway, thanks for reporting, if it occurs again please report it with as much information as possible.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 11 Jan 2012, 18:14

sure.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby KroArtem » 13 Jan 2012, 13:24

I can't reproduce those bugs but I suggest some improvements to editor.

1. When you add a player to the screen, something is wrong with him. It's somehow doubled in his square. I'm sure you know about this bug though.
2. When you're configuring a portal/switch and point to a blank screen no warnings are shown but this portal\switch would be useless in this case.
3. It's possible to place a moving block for a shadow and a usual player in the same cell but it's impossible to configure both of them.
4. I had a bug with the editor, please have a look at the attachment
Attachments
m&ms2.jpg
KroArtem

Postby Edward_Lii » 13 Jan 2012, 17:27

Hello KroArtem,

KroArtem {l Wrote}:1. When you add a player to the screen, something is wrong with him. It's somehow doubled in his square. I'm sure you know about this bug though.

That's part of the theme, the editorpicture of the player and shadowstart is a semi-transparent square with the player/shadow in the middle.
So when placing the block a player will "spawn" in front of the editorpicture, which will result in a double player/shadow image.

KroArtem {l Wrote}:2. When you're configuring a portal/switch and point to a blank screen no warnings are shown but this portal\switch would be useless in this case.

First of all, it's possible to place a portal or switch without linking it making it also useless.
When clicking on some empty space the linking will stop, I though that behaviour is better than ignoring the click and continue linking.
That would confuse the user on how to stop the linking and a warning of some sort every time could be annoying.

KroArtem {l Wrote}:3. It's possible to place a moving block for a shadow and a usual player in the same cell but it's impossible to configure both of them.

I noticed this before but I'm not sure how to solve this problem.
It should be possible to place objects in front of other blocks, but configuring them is harder.
Perhaps when you configure stacked blocks you should get a selection popup?

KroArtem {l Wrote}:4. I had a bug with the editor, please have a look at the attachment

I'm sorry but I'm afraid I can't see anything wrong with the picture.
Could you tell what you did, what you expected to happen and what happened?

Thanks for your feedback! :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Tedium » 13 Jan 2012, 17:47

I found a strange collision with spikes bug :( .
I was working on a level called ShadowCage.map. Your character dies when he jumps on a block with a spike(or moving spike) behind it. In my level you expect to land on a normal block, not a spike.
Should this be fixed?
Attachments
ShadowCage.zip
(396 Bytes) Downloaded 353 times
Tedium

Postby Edward_Lii » 13 Jan 2012, 18:30

Hello Tedium,

Tedium {l Wrote}:I found a strange collision with spikes bug :( .
I was working on a level called ShadowCage.map. Your character dies when he jumps on a block with a spike(or moving spike) behind it. In my level you expect to land on a normal block, not a spike.
Should this be fixed?

This is a hard one to fix.
The spikes already have a slightly smaller hitbox, making them even smaller will perhaps result in unexpected behaviour?
I've added it to the tracker: https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/meandmyshadow/ticket/33
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby KroArtem » 14 Jan 2012, 11:00

Hello Edward_Lii,
I thought 1. and 4 were bugs but as far as I see 1 is a feature and in 4-th case grey cell shows us the start of the player and its shadow :)
Re 2: something should be done with this as this is not very obvious. For example, I've placed a portal, right-clicked on it and then pressed somewhere else to point the place whete to teleport but it wasn't working.
Re 3: I agree with you, a selection windows should be shown, as for me, it would be the best way to work with blocks place one on another.
KroArtem

Postby Edward_Lii » 14 Jan 2012, 11:08

Hello KroArtem,

KroArtem {l Wrote}:Re 2: something should be done with this as this is not very obvious. For example, I've placed a portal, right-clicked on it and then pressed somewhere else to point the place whete to teleport but it wasn't working.

Now I understand the problem, perhaps it should behave like this:
    Right-click activate linking, right-click again to stop linking.
    Clicking on another portal will create an one-way link (to the clicked portal).
    Clicking on some empty space will create a second portal linked to the configured one.
Anyway this should be made more convenient than it is right now.

KroArtem {l Wrote}:Re 3: I agree with you, a selection windows should be shown, as for me, it would be the best way to work with blocks place one on another.

I've added it to the tracker: https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/meandmyshadow/ticket/37
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Tedium » 14 Jan 2012, 13:19

Inspired by that bug I reported I made a different level. It's called MineField :) .
Attachments
MineField.zip
(350 Bytes) Downloaded 360 times
Tedium