Level pack system

Level pack system

Postby MCMic » 06 Jan 2012, 09:28

Hi!

I'd like to discuss the level pack system in order to rework it for the next release (and I mean 0.3, not 0.2)

Problems with the actual level pack system :
- Levels are copied in the level pack folder

I think either a levelpack should be a file containing a list of level files, or each level should store the name of its levelpack.
Second solution means a level can only be in one levelpack.

The other thing is that we can't know which non-packed levels we have won or not.
I think that there should be a "Non-packed levels" category, that would allow the user to see all levels installed with the addon manager or made with the map editor. And it would allow him to see if he won each level or not.
MCMic

Re: Level pack system

Postby Edward_Lii » 06 Jan 2012, 09:36

Hello MCMic,

MCMic {l Wrote}:I'd like to discuss the level pack system in order to rework it for the next release (and I mean 0.3, not 0.2)

Problems with the actual level pack system :
- Levels are copied in the level pack folder

I think either a levelpack should be a file containing a list of level files, or each level should store the name of its levelpack.
Second solution means a level can only be in one levelpack.

I think we should go with the first option, this way removing levels will be easier, because you only need to read the list and remove the files corresponding with the entries.
On the other hand it does allow a level to be in multiple levelpacks which is IMHO wrong.

The second option will not works since you'll have to go through each level to see to which levelpack they belong, and then you still need to determine the order.

The reason why the levels are copied in the levelpack folder is to prevent double naming.
Sometimes it's hard to find a name for a level, so naming the file mapXX.map is a logical thing to do.
If the levels are all placed in one folder then different levelpacks can override them.

We can solve this by giving each level the levelpack it belongs as prefix?

MCMic {l Wrote}:The other thing is that we can't know which non-packed levels we have won or not.
I think that there should be a "Non-packed levels" category, that would allow the user to see all levels installed with the addon manager or made with the map editor. And it would allow him to see if he won each level or not.

My idea was to place the statistics in the progress files of the levelpacks.
However this doesn't cover non-packed levels, and I think your idea of a non-packed "levelpack" isn't so bad.
We could set every level in it unlocked but not won, in whatever way we want to show that.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby MCMic » 06 Jan 2012, 10:07

The prefix seems like a good idea, but if we put a prefix on all levels of the pack, do we still need a file that list them?

An other solution is to stick with the 0.2 system but replace the copy by a move inside the levelpack folder!
[EDIT] And that means all levels that are in the main folder are not in any level pack.
MCMic

Postby Edward_Lii » 06 Jan 2012, 10:13

Hello MCMic,

MCMic {l Wrote}:The prefix seems like a good idea, but if we put a prefix on all levels of the pack, do we still need a file that list them?

Of course, the list contains the order in which the levels need to be played.

MCMic {l Wrote}:An other solution is to stick with the 0.2 system but replace the copy by a move inside the levelpack folder!
[EDIT] And that means all levels that are in the main folder are not in any level pack.

This would make it easier, and by adding a way to edit the levels inside the levelpack we can resolve the problem with readding the levels in order to update the levelpack. :)
Perhaps we should try to extend the filedialog when opening levels in the leveleditor to provide some sort of "folders" (levelpacks)?
This way you can navigate inside the levelpacks and change the levels.

[EDIT] I suddenly realize that there's no way to delete a level or levelpack from within the game.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby MCMic » 06 Jan 2012, 10:34

You should do a "level/levelpack manager" that is outside of the map editor. There is no reason why I should launch a level editor to edit which levels are in my level pack.
This dialog should allow the user to delete levels/levelpacks, change the levels in a levelpack, maybe rename levels and levelpacks.
It would be this dialog that would later allow the user to upload its levels and packs as addons.
MCMic

Postby Edward_Lii » 06 Jan 2012, 10:36

Hello MCMic,

MCMic {l Wrote}:You should do a "level/levelpack manager" that is outside of the map editor. There is no reason why I should launch a level editor to edit which levels are in my level pack.
This dialog should allow the user to delete levels/levelpacks, change the levels in a levelpack, maybe rename levels and levelpacks.
It would be this dialog that would later allow the user to upload its levels and packs as addons.

But where should it be located?
Another entry in the main menu would become too much IMHO.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 06 Jan 2012, 11:56

Hi all,

MCMic {l Wrote}:An other solution is to stick with the 0.2 system but replace the copy by a move inside the levelpack folder!

I like this solution best :) but instead of move the file to the levelpack folder, I prefer copy it to the levelpack folder and subsequent changes to the level is saved to the new file and the old file is keep unchanged.

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:Perhaps we should try to extend the filedialog when opening levels in the leveleditor to provide some sort of "folders" (levelpacks)?
This way you can navigate inside the levelpacks and change the levels.

So you mean we need a real file dialog like GTK and/or Windows one :| it's not so easy to implement IMHO...
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 06 Jan 2012, 12:01

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:I like this solution best :) but instead of move the file to the levelpack folder, I prefer copy it to the levelpack folder and subsequent changes to the level is saved to the new file and the old file is keep unchanged.

Isn't that how it works already?
The levels are copied into the levelpack folder and when you change the level it will be changed but inside the levelpack not.

Or do you mean that changing the level will change the level inside the levelpack but not the original one outside?
If so then all we have to do is allow the user to change levels which are located inside a levelpack.

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:So you mean we need a real file dialog like GTK and/or Windows one :| it's not so easy to implement IMHO...

Not a "real" dialog but a "more real" dialog.
I'd rather not do it but it can make it easier for the user to maintain the levelpacks, but then again why don't we add a button to the levelpackeditor saying edit level?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby MCMic » 06 Jan 2012, 12:15

I think duplicating level is a bad thing.
I vote for moving levels!

[EDIT] The dialog to load a level should be the same one than to select a level to play! (including the nonpackedlevel pack)
MCMic