New website

New website

Postby Edward_Lii » 29 Oct 2011, 16:06

Hello all,

Currently the website of Me and My Shadow is just a wiki: meandmyshadow.sf.net
I think it would be better to have at least a few simple pages with screenshots, download link and some background information.
I started working on one and it can be seen/tested here: http://meandmyshadow.sourceforge.net/test/
The content on the test site is still WIP. ;)

I've tested the site a bit and it seems that scaling the site requires at least ~1000x650 to display properly. :|

Feedback is welcome! :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Re: New website

Postby farcodev » 08 Dec 2011, 21:27

simple and in accordance with the theme of your game ;)
farcodev

Postby Edward_Lii » 09 Dec 2011, 19:21

Hello farcodev,

farcodev {l Wrote}:simple and in accordance with the theme of your game ;)

Thanks, my goal was to keep it as simple as possible.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby odamite » 16 Feb 2012, 14:13

Hello everyone!

First off sorry for bumping this really old thread. I didn't want to create another one on the same subject. Don't get angry on me...

Yeah, but to the point. The website is really nice and simple but in my opinion it's kind of too simple. So I decided to make it the way I wanted. Here's what I've done so far:
meandmyshadow_website.tar.gz
Remember to extract the files and then open index.html with your browser.
(752.22 KiB) Downloaded 285 times

Things I've done:
  • Updated the logo
  • Added a background color
  • Modified background images to use CSS3 multiple backgrounds
  • Updated the content a little bit
  • New navigation bar
  • Modified paddings and margins
  • Final touch with CSS3 drop shadow under the content part
  • Added favicon

There is some not so smart things in it. For example multiple backgrounds are not supported by older browsers. Also the background images are PNGs which contain alpha channel. This makes them quite large files which are slower to download. But on other hand it makes possible to change the background color later.

I would like to hear your opinion on my modification. Also give me feedback about browser support. I've tested with Firefox 10 and Epiphany (WebKit) and it works fine. Thank you!
Last edited by odamite on 16 Feb 2012, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
odamite

Postby ctdabomb » 16 Feb 2012, 15:20

It's better. not slow at all for me and my old browser.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby odamite » 16 Feb 2012, 15:30

Hello!

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:It's better. not slow at all for me and my old browser.

Great, thanks! :) Oh sorry confusion. I didn't mean that backgrounds with alpha channel will slow down the browser. I meant that they are large files and downloading them will be slower. Of course rendering alpha will be slower but it shouldn't affect much on speed. By the way what's your "old browser"?
odamite

Postby ctdabomb » 16 Feb 2012, 15:35

I have firefox 10.0.1. thought it was older.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby Tedium » 16 Feb 2012, 17:31

It looks great and works fine with Firefox 7.0.1. :)
I'm just not sure about that grey bar at the bottom of the page. (window size: 1920 x 1080)
Perhaps the background should extend to the bottom of the screen?
Tedium

Postby Edward_Lii » 16 Feb 2012, 17:50

Hello odamite,

I must say it looks great, was already thinking of replacing the old logo with the new one. :D
Noticed a small difference between two browsers (firefox 10.1 @ openSUSE 12.1 KDE) and Konqueror.

Anyway, I'll upload it to the web space ASAP.
My only concern is the usage of CSS3, I'm afraid quite a lot people will use an older browser. :think:

(BTW, CSS3 adds a lot of useful features, it was a pain getting the left and right footer in place. :p )

Tedium {l Wrote}:Perhaps the background should extend to the bottom of the screen?

I also agree it looks weird to have a grey bar at the bottom of the screen with the drop shadow of the content panel over it.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby odamite » 16 Feb 2012, 18:00

Hello!

Thank you all for your feedback.

About the grey bar: The content of the page isn't long enough and background will be the same size. I don't know how to fix it but I'll try to figure it out. If you have experience with CSS you could help me.

I also noticed little difference with Firefox and Epiphany where font and its size was different. There're using different browser engines and I think the difference is normal.

I afraid that in my design using the old way isn't possible. Background must be behind the content. People without CSS3 will probably see just half of the background. I also think that nowadays more and more people are using compatible browsers so I suggest to stick with CSS3.
odamite

Postby Edward_Lii » 16 Feb 2012, 18:03

Hello odamite,

odamite {l Wrote}:About the grey bar: The content of the page isn't long enough and background will be the same size. I don't know how to fix it but I'll try to figure it out. If you have experience with CSS you could help me.

It's simple to fix, just add this to the css:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
html,body {
     height: 100%;
}

odamite {l Wrote}:I also noticed little difference with Firefox and Epiphany where font and its size was different. There're using different browser engines and I think the difference is normal.

It indeed looks like a small font difference, but nothing to important IMHO.

odamite {l Wrote}:I afraid that in my design using the old way isn't possible. Background must be behind the content. People without CSS3 will probably see just half of the background. I also think that nowadays more and more people are using compatible browsers so I suggest to stick with CSS3.

I agree that sticking to CSS3 isn't going to hurt too many people.
Just wondering how it will look in a browser without CSS3 support. :think:

EDIT: It's up: http://meandmyshadow.sourceforge.net/
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator