Some suggestions

Some suggestions

Postby Edward_Lii » 28 Oct 2011, 15:21

Hello all,

There are some things that I think need some attention.

Jumping
First of all there's the jumping.
It's possible to jump over four blocks, I think this should be three blocks max.
This is important when making levels so the levelmaker knows which jumps are possible and which are not.
Jump.png
Jump.png (38.07 KiB) Viewed 3835 times

Fragile Block
The fragile block has a few states, meaning you can stand/jump two times on it before falling apart.
On the third time the block falls apart, but with a bit of timing you can jump on more time.
This can break some puzzles if the maker assumes that only two jumps on the block are possible.
fragile.png
fragile.png (3.92 KiB) Viewed 3835 times

Custom surface
Currently there's some code for a custom image for blocks.
AFAIK this function is never used and will be hard to combine with themes.
The best will be to remove this code.

Feedback is welcome! :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Re: Some suggestions

Postby MCMic » 28 Oct 2011, 17:12

The jump should stay the same, it allow to jump 2 obstacles block without touching them which is good. (If I recal correctly)
And The jump over 4 blocks is hard for a newby.

The Custom surface code should indeed be deleted.
MCMic

Postby Edward_Lii » 28 Oct 2011, 17:35

Hello MCMic,

MCMic {l Wrote}:The jump should stay the same, it allow to jump 2 obstacles block without touching them which is good. (If I recal correctly)

I agree that the jump system should stay the same.
But as you said the 4 block jump can be hard and I don't think that fits well in a puzzle game.
The puzzles should be about logic not about "jumping skills".

When making a level you must be sure that a jump can be made or not.
I think it's best if the player can't make the four block jump - OR - make it quite easily.

MCMic {l Wrote}:The Custom surface code should indeed be deleted.

I'll remove it. ;)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby MCMic » 28 Oct 2011, 18:16

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:Hello MCMic,

MCMic {l Wrote}:The jump should stay the same, it allow to jump 2 obstacles block without touching them which is good. (If I recal correctly)

I agree that the jump system should stay the same.
But as you said the 4 block jump can be hard and I don't think that fits well in a puzzle game.
The puzzles should be about logic not about "jumping skills".

When making a level you must be sure that a jump can be made or not.
I think it's best if the player can't make the four block jump - OR - make it quite easily.

I completely disagree.
I think what's great about this game is that it contains puzzle levels and skill levels and even levels that combine both.
I think easy levels should not contain 4 blocks jumps, and level designers know that if they do a level for experimented players they can use 4 blocks jump. If they want to do a puzzle level they just use 3 and 5 jumps, never 4.
MCMic

Postby Edward_Lii » 28 Oct 2011, 18:27

Hello MCMic,

MCMic {l Wrote}:I completely disagree.
I think what's great about this game is that it contains puzzle levels and skill levels and even levels that combine both.
I think easy levels should not contain 4 blocks jumps, and level designers know that if they do a level for experimented players they can use 4 blocks jump. If they want to do a puzzle level they just use 3 and 5 jumps, never 4.

You've convinced me, if we were changing this than the same would go for the FreeFall levels.
And I don't want them to go. :D

But I'm not sure about the third jump on a fragile block.
I quite like the idea of making this also a kind of "skill", but then it must made slightly easier.
What do you think?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 29 Oct 2011, 04:55

Hi,

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:...

But I'm not sure about the third jump on a fragile block.
I quite like the idea of making this also a kind of "skill", but then it must made slightly easier.
What do you think?

Well, IMHO jump on a fragile block is not "skill" but a bug in game logic :| Is there any level which make use of this "skill"? I doubt... So IMHO we should fix this bug...
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 29 Oct 2011, 05:40

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:Well, IMHO jump on a fragile block is not "skill" but a bug in game logic :|

Yeah, the biggest problem about is that, unlike the jumping, a levelmaker can't do anything about it.

acme_pjz {l Wrote}: Is there any level which make use of this "skill"? I doubt... So IMHO we should fix this bug...

Totally agree! :D
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator