Cloudscape theme

Re: Cloudscape theme

Postby ctdabomb » 17 Jan 2012, 19:18

MCMic {l Wrote}:It looks great!
That should definitely get implemented.

second the motion. ;)
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby Edward_Lii » 17 Jan 2012, 19:50

Hello all,

I started working on the menu and HUD.
It's in svn revision 200. ;)
screenshot1.png
In-game shot. ;)

There's still a lot to do but it gives an idea of how it will be.

@odamite, Thanks again for your mock-ups, I really like the style.
If there's anything I've done wrong while trying to match your mock-ups please tell me.

Feedback is welcome. :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby odamite » 17 Jan 2012, 21:43

@MCMic, Tedium:
Your idea and the mock-up were both great! Really it's looking much better. So thanks! :)

@Edward_Lii:
Wow, it's amazing to see my mock-up in action. And don't worry: you're doing everything right and it's also good that you're adding your own ideas like animation (really love them :)). The game looking great though it still needs some polishing in some places before next public version.

I'm looking forward to contribute more to this project. Maybe I could make you guys some more mock-ups. For example I think that help section should be given a makeover. Also I have some experience about programming so I'd be able to help on the coding side.

Thank you all for the positive feedback on my work. This is kinda my first contribute to open source and all this has made me happy :D
odamite

Postby MCMic » 18 Jan 2012, 09:26

@Edward_Lii : this is awesome :)

[EDIT] the help screen should use sprites from the user-chosen theme in order to fit the game.
MCMic

Postby Edward_Lii » 18 Jan 2012, 20:06

Hello all,

odamite {l Wrote}:Wow, it's amazing to see my mock-up in action. And don't worry: you're doing everything right and it's also good that you're adding your own ideas like animation (really love them :)). The game looking great though it still needs some polishing in some places before next public version.

I'm looking forward to contribute more to this project. Maybe I could make you guys some more mock-ups. For example I think that help section should be given a makeover.

There still a lot to do before the next release regarding the new graphics style:
The help menu (as you mentioned), the options menu, the levelpackeditor, the toolbar of the leveleditor, and probably some more stuff.

odamite {l Wrote}:Also I have some experience about programming so I'd be able to help on the coding side.

If you would like to help with coding that's no problem.
We have a bug/issue tracker to keep track of the tasks/bugs that still need to be done:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/meandmyshadow

If you've got any questions about the code feel free to ask. ;)

odamite {l Wrote}:Thank you all for the positive feedback on my work. This is kinda my first contribute to open source and all this has made me happy :D

No problem, I really appreciate your contributions. ;)

MCMic {l Wrote}:[EDIT] the help screen should use sprites from the user-chosen theme in order to fit the game.

I've been thinking about that too, but thought that it wouldn't be such an issue.
On the other hand it's better to change the help menu whilst keeping support for multiple resolutions in mind.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Knitter » 18 Jan 2012, 23:36

How is this progressing? I found a few glitches in the way messages are shown and I don't know if I should report them as bugs or just ignore them if they are known or are being worked on.
Attachments
meshadow.png
Screenshot with text and input fields hidden/cut
Knitter

Postby ctdabomb » 19 Jan 2012, 00:11

it is being worked on right now, but that is all I know
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby Edward_Lii » 19 Jan 2012, 07:11

Hello Knitter,

Knitter {l Wrote}:How is this progressing? I found a few glitches in the way messages are shown and I don't know if I should report them as bugs or just ignore them if they are known or are being worked on.

There are still a lot of glitches in the menus/GUIs, we're working on them.
I think most of them are known, but perhaps we'll forget a few when it's almost done?

Anyway thanks for testing, if such a thing would happen in a release (candidate) you should fill in a bug report.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Edward_Lii » 28 Jan 2012, 12:38

Hello all,

I've started working on the Options menu.
Here's the current progress, as you can see it's quite different from the mock-up.
But I think if we use the knewave font and Yes/No instead of checkboxes it will become unclear.
settings.png

Somehow I don't like the "Internet proxy" textfield, perhaps a bit too close to the text.
And the theme listbox should change (just like the one in the levelselect).

Feedback is welcome. :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby odamite » 28 Jan 2012, 14:05

Hello! It's looking great already. I can agree that using checkboxes is much better than my Yes/No proposal. But I was thinking if the checkboxes could be moved to right side of the text. This because all the other things are on right too. This is done for example in SuperTux (but I didn't get idea from it). This would of course cause some problems to proxy setting. What do you think?
odamite

Postby Edward_Lii » 28 Jan 2012, 14:38

Hello odamite,

odamite {l Wrote}:Hello! It's looking great already. I can agree that using checkboxes is much better than my Yes/No proposal. But I was thinking if the checkboxes could be moved to right side of the text. This because all the other things are on right too. This is done for example in SuperTux (but I didn't get idea from it). This would of course cause some problems to proxy setting. What do you think?

Thanks, I think you're right, we should move the checkboxes to the other side.
Perhaps there is no need for a checkbox for "Internet Proxy", if the textfield is empty it's disabled, otherwise proxy is enabled?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby odamite » 28 Jan 2012, 15:10

Hello Edwar_Lii!

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:Thanks, I think you're right, we should move the checkboxes to the other side.

Great to see you agree! I think the boxes should be centered and some padding could be added to sides. Maybe also the graphics should also be updated to fit better to new theme?

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:Perhaps there is no need for a checkbox for "Internet Proxy", if the textfield is empty it's disabled, otherwise proxy is enabled?

Simple! Why I didn't realize that? :D
odamite

Postby Edward_Lii » 28 Jan 2012, 16:06

Hello odamite,

I've made some progress, here's a screenshot:
settings1.png

odamite {l Wrote}:Great to see you agree! I think the boxes should be centered and some padding could be added to sides. Maybe also the graphics should also be updated to fit better to new theme?

I assume you mean the graphics of the GUI elements.
We should remove the 100% white just like we did with the message pop-ups.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 28 Jan 2012, 18:40

I found a minor problem: somehow the arrow highlight of single-line list widget is gone, and the source code about arrow highlight is deleted :| Is it intentional?
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 28 Jan 2012, 18:53

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:I found a minor problem: somehow the arrow highlight of single-line list widget is gone, and the source code about arrow highlight is deleted :| Is it intentional?

It's intentional, since the menu theme got updated a square highlight just didn't fit.
Although some feedback would be nice, perhaps it could move just like the selection in the main menu when hovered?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby odamite » 28 Jan 2012, 23:51

Hello everybody!

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:It's intentional, since the menu theme got updated a square highlight just didn't fit.
Although some feedback would be nice, perhaps it could move just like the selection in the main menu when hovered?

That kind of moving should definitely fit in. Other option is changing the color lighter but then it could be hard to see with background image. So my vote goes to moving. Also those arrow images should be changed to match the font. Don't forget that the whole thing is already looking pretty good!

I have created new checkbox graphics and they are already committed to svn repository (I got access now! Thanks to Edward_Lii :)) So here's a screenshot:
mnms_checkboxes.png

Feel free to give feedback!
odamite

Postby Tedium » 30 Jan 2012, 18:15

It looks great :D !

However, the restart notification when you tick the Fullscreen option seems to be misplaced. That should be fixed ;).
Tedium

Postby Edward_Lii » 30 Jan 2012, 18:51

Hello all,

odamite {l Wrote}:I have created new checkbox graphics and they are already committed to svn repository (I got access now! Thanks to Edward_Lii :)) So here's a screenshot:

Looks great! :)
Do you think we should apply the same style on the textbox and textarea?

odamite {l Wrote}:That kind of moving should definitely fit in. Other option is changing the color lighter but then it could be hard to see with background image. So my vote goes to moving. Also those arrow images should be changed to match the font. Don't forget that the whole thing is already looking pretty good!

I've added a moving animation to them, it's in svn rev. 222. ;)
Sadly a screenshot won't work in this case. :p (BTW, it's still the same image as before.)

Tedium {l Wrote}:It looks great :D !

Thanks.

Tedium {l Wrote}:However, the restart notification when you tick the Fullscreen option seems to be misplaced. That should be fixed ;).

It should be fixed in svn rev. 222, not sure it fits there, perhaps this should be changed to a popup message for when you press "Save changes"?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby odamite » 30 Jan 2012, 19:53

Hello!

Edward_Lii and Tedium {l Wrote}:Looks great! :)

Thanks! And thanks to Edward_Lii! :D

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:Do you think we should apply the same style on the textbox and textarea?

Great idea! Sadly I don't even know how to code it... The image is basically rounded square with anti-aliasing and opaque background. One possibility is to load the image and somehow stretch the sides. The other is to generate all this in code. How should it be done?
odamite

Postby Edward_Lii » 30 Jan 2012, 19:58

Hello odamite,

odamite {l Wrote}:Great idea! Sadly I don't even know how to code it... The image is basically rounded square with anti-aliasing and opaque background. One possibility is to load the image and somehow stretch the sides. The other is to generate all this in code. How should it be done?

I don't think stretching is such a good idea (SDL doesn't even have a standard way of stretching images).
One possibility is to render the corners of the checkbox image on the right place in the textbox and repeat the sides.
But I think this is a bit too much for a relatively simple structure.

Drawing two lines per side on top of a filled square (light gray) and some hardcoded anti-aliasing in the corners will do.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby odamite » 31 Jan 2012, 13:13

Hello Edward Lii!

I've updated the rendering code of TextBox and TextArea to produce better widgets. It's now in svn rev. 225. I'm using SDL_gfx function because they allow easily opacity in rectangles. It isn't the most effective way but it works! :D Maybe some time custom function could be written? Also my code (or custom function?) would be used to draw message/dialog windows' borders?
odamite

Postby Edward_Lii » 31 Jan 2012, 17:37

Hello odamite,

odamite {l Wrote}:I've updated the rendering code of TextBox and TextArea to produce better widgets. It's now in svn rev. 225. I'm using SDL_gfx function because they allow easily opacity in rectangles. It isn't the most effective way but it works! :D Maybe some time custom function could be written? Also my code (or custom function?) would be used to draw message/dialog windows' borders?

Great work, I've created a separate method for the drawing, it's in svn rev. 226.
GUIFrame and GUIListBox now use this method so the style is consistent. ;)

Short list of things still to do regarding the new menu theme:
    * The border around items in the GUIListBox seem wrong (text sticking out).
    * GUISingleLineListBox arrows should be changed to images of the '>' and '<' characters of the knewave font.
    * Lots of gui things in the Leveleditor are unusable/ugly.
    * The Levelpackeditor needs a lot of work.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby odamite » 31 Jan 2012, 21:03

Hello Edward Lii!

Great work, I've created a separate method for the drawing, it's in svn rev. 226.
GUIFrame and GUIListBox now use this method so the style is consistent. ;)

Awesome work! I've updated also tool tips in selection screen and level editor. But it seems that there's a problem with GUIFrame. Border isn't rendered properly in right and bottom sides. Didn't know how to fix this but I think it has something to do with dimmed background......Sorry, it was my fault and now fixed in svn rev. 231. In my original code one rectangle was 1 pixel too small...

GUISingleLineListBox arrows should be changed to images of the '>' and '<' characters of the knewave font.

True! Also button are like moved when they are focused on. I didn't find any logical reason for this because they should be always centered. I suggest to make global variables of rendered "<" and ">" characters so they can be used both in GUISingleLineListBox and GUIButton. I could do it but I would like get someone's opinion first.
odamite

Postby acme_pjz » 01 Feb 2012, 17:03

Hi,

In latest SVN the align of items in list box is a bit weird and ugly :|
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 03 Feb 2012, 15:14

Hello all,

I've made some small improvements. (SVN rev.236)
    * Changed the hover and click effect of the GUIObjectButton (now uses images from gui.png).
    * The GUITextArea now also has a carrot.
    * Difference between delete and backspace for the GUITextArea.

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:In latest SVN the align of items in list box is a bit weird and ugly :|

I noticed it too, not sure what is causing it. :think:
Perhaps it's the Blokletters-Viltstift.ttf that causes this, because every text using that fonts looks a bit taller/more to the top.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator