Fading screen

Fading screen

Postby MCMic » 17 Feb 2011, 17:53

The actual transition between screen is weird, I don't like it.
I played ballz today, which has great transitions, so I thought we should look at their code.

The code is under BSD license.
The code for transition is here : http://code.google.com/p/db-tins07/sour ... fading.cpp

I'm not sure which graphic library they use and which Me&MyShadow uses, but I think at least some of the functions are easy to port.
MCMic

Re: Fading screen

Postby Edward_Lii » 18 Feb 2011, 14:49

Hello MCMic,

MCMic {l Wrote}:The actual transition between screen is weird, I don't like it.
I played ballz today, which has great transitions, so I thought we should look at their code.

The code is under BSD license.
The code for transition is here : http://code.google.com/p/db-tins07/sour ... fading.cpp

I'm not sure which graphic library they use and which Me&MyShadow uses, but I think at least some of the functions are easy to port.

I know the transition isn't that nice, but it has been changed in the latest SVN.
Now every transition is a fadeOut effect, but maybe some of the other transitions there could be used.

About the engines, If I'm not mistaking ballz uses Allegro and MnMS uses SDL.

Thanks for your feedback! ;)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby MCMic » 18 Feb 2011, 23:23

Wow, the new version is better!
The ugly background image is out (the new one does not really fit, but at least it does not hurt my eyes anymore)
The new moving system is just as I wanted it ^^

But you should add the possibility to cancel the last move! When the character or the shadow dies because of an error of several millimeters, it's very annoying to restart the whole level!

Also, I had a bug, I died, then pressed space, then r to restart, and my shadow moved. And each timed I pressed r, it restarted but the shadow moved and died.
MCMic

Postby Edward_Lii » 19 Feb 2011, 06:53

Hello MCMic,

MCMic {l Wrote}:Wow, the new version is better!
The ugly background image is out (the new one does not really fit, but at least it does not hurt my eyes anymore)
The new moving system is just as I wanted it ^^

I totally agree, the old moving system was rubbish.

MCMic {l Wrote}:But you should add the possibility to cancel the last move! When the character or the shadow dies because of an error of several millimeters, it's very annoying to restart the whole level!

Not sure about that, I agree it can be very annoying to restart the complete level, but being able to undo the last move whenever you need is a bit like cheating.
See it as a game element, BTW you gave me a good idea, we could add checkpoints in big levels.

MCMic {l Wrote}:Also, I had a bug, I died, then pressed space, then r to restart, and my shadow moved. And each timed I pressed r, it restarted but the shadow moved and died.

Thanks for reporting, I'll look into it.

EDIT: Should be fixed in the latest SVN now!

Thanks again for the feedback! ;)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby MCMic » 19 Feb 2011, 18:54

Well, I know the undoing last move is a bit of a big choice of gameplay, But I'm stuck at level 13 since a long time. And it's not that I don't know how to do it, it's just that each time I do a stupid mistake, not the same, a different one.
MCMic

Postby gordebak » 19 Feb 2011, 18:59

Actually I'm stuck at 13 too. But the reason is I can't see the exit. I want to remake the level.
gordebak
MnMS Moderator

Postby MCMic » 19 Feb 2011, 21:26

gordebak {l Wrote}:Actually I'm stuck at 13 too. But the reason is I can't see the exit. I want to remake the level.

I see the exit, I just fail to reach it. Are you sure you speak of level 13? (since I updated the svn levels changed, it was level 12 before)

About cancelling the last move, I kind of see me and my shadow as the libre version of braid, and in braid, you can always cancel what you do, it is great ^^
MCMic

Postby Bodsda » 10 Mar 2011, 14:06

Could you allow the ability to cancel a certain number of moves?
If you complete a level, you get 1 undo, if you die you loose them all. So if you struggle with level 5, but completed levels 1-4 without dieing, you would have 4 chances to undo the mistakes you make in level 5.

Just a thought,
Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby Edward_Lii » 10 Mar 2011, 19:28

Hello Bodsda,

Bodsda {l Wrote}:Could you allow the ability to cancel a certain number of moves?
If you complete a level, you get 1 undo, if you die you loose them all. So if you struggle with level 5, but completed levels 1-4 without dieing, you would have 4 chances to undo the mistakes you make in level 5.

Thanks for your suggestion! ;)

Currently the development of MaMS is going very slow.
Please read this thread: http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1220&start=0

Thanks again!
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator