WebMail

WebMail

Postby eugeneloza » 07 Mar 2018, 07:26

Hi all!
I've tried to look around the interned, but found nothing relative...
Is there a good alternative to gmail.com and the like? I don't need much, just don't like my emails scanned for keywords all the time.

What I need:
Free (best if FOSS)
Trustworthy
Spam filter
Filters and folders, web access (in case there is e-mail that doesn't have those :D)
No forced phone number (goodbye, Zoho)
Either some decent storage space (10G+) or full support of (STTL) POP3/IMAP (goodbye, tutanota and protonmail)
Stable (not being down for hours on a regular basis, and not gonna vanish completely in 3 years)
Not based in Russia, Ukraine or China (and preferably not US) (goodbye, yandex)
Not too awkward domain (should be quick and easy to spell over phone)
eugeneloza

Re: WebMail

Postby themightyglider » 07 Mar 2018, 08:11

The fsf provides a list of recommended web-mail providers. Maybe this is kinda useful to you.
https://www.fsf.org/resources/webmail-systems
Last edited by themightyglider on 07 Mar 2018, 09:26, edited 2 times in total.
themightyglider

Postby Julius » 07 Mar 2018, 09:14

You could also apply for a project with tuxfamily.org and get a email through them.

But IMHO, why not get your own cheap domain and have email through that? OVH (hosted in France) for example gives you a (single) email address with every domain even if you don't buy additional web-hosting ( see: https://www.ovh.co.uk/domains/start10m_ ... _offer.xml ). And some domains can be gotten as low as 3€ a year.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 07 Mar 2018, 09:36

Thanks a lot! I'll try those out.
About own domain - I've been thinking about that. I have experience on administering it, but it takes quiet a lot of effort to provide for safety, spam filtering, etc. Moreover, cheap hosting is usually instable. I've had a lot of mail issues with my previous hosting (such as downtime, database crashes, disclosing e-mail to tons of spam (still unsure how this happened, it was never posted on the web - so, some safety leak here)), and therefore changed my primary e-mail to a third-party site (ukr.net for now, but I want to change it). So, maybe that'll be an option, but later.
eugeneloza

Postby Julius » 07 Mar 2018, 10:27

OVH is rock solid (one of the largest hosters in the world) and they provide the email-system for you so zero config hassle. However, the webmail is only a basic roundcube, but the IMAP access is working flawless (I have a the "basic" webhosting pack with them for some time now for non-gaming related simple website).

P.S.: You mean a safety leak here on FGD? Argg... another reason we really need to update this forum :(
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 07 Mar 2018, 10:35

Julius {l Wrote}:P.S.: You mean a safety leak here on FGD? Argg... another reason we really need to update this forum :(

No-no-no. It's fine here :cool: (I never register at forums with my primary e-mail and I'm perfectly fine with gmail as my secondary e-mail). That was my hostpro.ua hosting.
eugeneloza