Hello Tux Engine

Hello Tux Engine

Postby P-Star7 » 01 Apr 2017, 05:22

[center]~Hello Tux Engine~

Welcome to the forum page for the Hello Tux Engine! It is a conversion of Hello Mario Engine to use the characters and aesthetic of SuperTux. Now people will have many premade assets available to make their own game with.

Story
One time, I sent an email to Nintendo to ask if I was allowed to make a fangame. The answer was no. Then I realized that if I replaced the graphics and sound, there would really be nothing to worry about anyways. Thus, HTE was born.

Goals
-Make the Hello Mario Engine codebase more accessible by not initially tying it to a copyrighted work when it is forked
-Allow as many people as possible, including teenagers, to get involved in baby steps in programming by using gratis tools such as Game Maker Studio 1.4 and the gratis and libre ENIGMA (which will hopefully support GM:S in the future, but right now this is out of my control, sorry :( ) and GMare (for better room editing than GM:S)
-To fit with Hello Mario Engine, this engine will have all-new libre pixel-style graphics based on games such as SuperTux and Secret Maryo Chronicles
-Allow a way to create "fangames" for games such as SuperTux and Secret Maryo Chronicles with a really easy front-end
-Dedicate to SuperTux and Secret Maryo Chronicles for coming up with great characters and worlds

How You Can Help (Phase 1 and 2)
-Make a sprite for the "sprite" section of the source, which contains Tux, enemies, items, fonts, and other miscellaneous things.
-

Style Guide
Since this project is meant to provide an appealing alternative resource set for Hello Mario Engine, I have tried to implement a style for each of the game's graphics so that they fit well together. This game's graphics shall use this 16-color palette.
Also, please make your sprites appear as 3D as they should be (for example, a brick looks "beveled" and square-shaped, an egg looks round, grass and sand are randomly speckled (one can use noise plugins in graphics software to achieve this, as I have) a tree has grooves on the trunk, a cave's walls look lumpy, etc.) , color each area with 3 colors (even if it's metal - this is one of the intentional quirks of the artstyle, sorry Amiga-style-graphics fans!) and outline your sprites with the middle shade that you are using, instead of using no-outline, sel-out, or a dark/black outline.
But don't worry too much about being perfect, because the open-source format means that anyone can do what they deem necessary to polish up a graphic!

Phases
Phase 1: Sprite replacement - Started
Phase 2: Tile replacement - Started
Phase 3: Background Replacement - Not started
Phase 4: Music and sound effect Replacement - Started
Phase 5: Code and comment Replacement (using FAR and Notepad++) - Started
Note: Due to the existing presence of more than enough music and sound effects from SuperTux and Secret Maryo Chronicles that are compatible with Hello Mario Engine, this phase will not be a major focus unless a member of the community thinks it should and knows someone who can help with this, because I cannot as of yet.

Previews
http://imgur.com/a/7EEGS - First Sprite Showcase

GitHub
https://github.com/P-Star7/Hello-Tux-Engine

Suggestion Box Wiki Page
https://github.com/P-Star7/Hello-Tux-Engine/wiki/Suggestion-Box[/center]
P-Star7

Re: Hello Tux Engine

Postby Lyberta » 01 Apr 2017, 05:42

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Re: Hello Tux Engine

Postby onpon4 » 01 Apr 2017, 06:40

Yeah, it's not really libre (free) if it depends on a proprietary engine. Pretty much no one here is going to be interested in gaining dependence on Game Maker to use some platformer code, especially considering there are completely libre options: SuperTux, Secret Chronicles, ReTux, and PGE.

By the way, from what I know about ENIGMA development, I don't think it will ever have perfect Game Maker compatibility, much less perfect GM Studio compatibility. Its development ground to a halt recently (again), but if it gets resuscitated (again), then it will probably go in its own direction.
onpon4