What is the definition of "Triple-A"?

What is the definition of "Triple-A"?

Postby Medijy » 20 Apr 2016, 11:55

Hey Guys,

my name is Jakob, and I am currently working on my thesis on "Calculating a Video Game".
I know that this forum was created to help create free or OpenSource games, which is why I am posting this in the "Off-topic" section.

My question is:
What exactly is a so called "Triple-A" game?

I have visited several other forums and found various answers to my question, but none of these answers were validated by any kind of article or other published work, which i need to prove the scientific value of the definition.

I hope someone is able to help me with that!

Best Wishes,
Jakob
Medijy

Re: What is the definition of "Triple-A"?

Postby charlie » 23 Apr 2016, 23:51

A triple-A game is something like Destiny where it has a huge budget and team of developers. I don't remember the origin of the term.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby JohnnyDavids13 » 24 Apr 2016, 01:49

AAA doesn't really have a solid definition as far as I know. It is just what you call a game studio that is really big, that consistently puts out high selling titles.
JohnnyDavids13

Postby Julius » 24 Apr 2016, 08:16

Hmm, yeah probably difficult to find a quotable source for a definition.

But I guess it is somehow derived from bond credit ratings, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bond_credit_rating
The logic would be that it is a sure bet that these games will make a return of investment, which they usually do (even if they are not very good games).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Medijy » 24 Apr 2016, 18:17

Thank you guys, I think I get it now ;)
Medijy

Postby rogerdv » 29 Apr 2016, 14:44

I thought it came from Major Baseball LEagues, that has a clasification system that uses AA/AAA. But thats probably because of my past as baseball fan.
An AAA game surely involves a few different aspects, but IMHO, most important are production budget and team size, as charlie said.
rogerdv

Postby Wuzzy » 14 May 2016, 23:53

Nobody really knows what “Triple-A” means? Check.
Everyone claims to know what it means? Check.
Everyone has a definition, but it is always slightly different? Check.
Term is used far too often in the press and/or advertisements? Triple check! :D

Okay, I think “Triple-A” is just a bullshit term without a clear meaning. Just like “Web 2.0”. Better avoid it and use terms you actually understand. :D

Fun fact: There is a game called “TripleA”.
Wuzzy

Postby CryHam » 02 Jun 2016, 13:10

CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 08 Jun 2016, 21:12

The Wikipedia article is not a good answer. In fact, it just proofs my point. It's a self-described low-quality article. It also conflates a couple of things, like Nintendo Quality of Seal vs. Wikipedia's definition of “AAA” (see the discussion page). Also, at least one of the sources has a definition which does not match Wikipedia's definition and I bet the other sources which I can't access right now (books) are also wildly disagreeing on a definition. The article fails to recognize the various definition of the term.

So I keep saying we would all be better of avoiding the term “AAA” or “Triple-A” as a buzzword / bullshit term as there is no agreement on a definition.
The best you could do if you read or hear “Triple-A” or “AAA” somewhere is to ask what the person meant by this (even if it may be annoying), otherwise you don't know jack shit what the person is talking about. ;)
Wuzzy

Postby c_xong » 09 Jun 2016, 00:30

I think the term AAA is similar to words like "good", "evil", "beautiful" etc. There's no clear definition, it's subjective, depends on context, but useful words nevertheless.
c_xong

Postby hathor » 12 Jun 2016, 14:16

So if you're a mid-sized indie can you call yourself AA? If it's just one or two people can you call your game A?
hathor