Stand for free software and help defend GNOME's trademark

Stand for free software and help defend GNOME's trademark

Postby Akien » 11 Nov 2014, 15:58

The well-known GNOME desktop environment is faced with trademark troubles because the Groupon firm wants to launch a proprietary product with the name GNOME and defined as "a tablet based point of sale operating system for merchants to run their entire operation", which can be easily assimilated with the actual free software GNOME desktop environment for Linux systems.

Even if you are not a GNOME or Linux user, this concerns the whole free software community, so help spread the word about this. GNOME needs support from the FLOSS community, and also money to stand juridically against a billion-dollar business.

More information on GNOME's website: http://www.gnome.org/groupon/
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Re: Stand for free software and help defend GNOME's trademar

Postby Julius » 11 Nov 2014, 17:42

Thanks for the info!
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby andrewj » 12 Nov 2014, 03:01

Update: Thank you for all the support that you have given us. Groupon has confirmed with the GNOME Foundation that they are going to abandon all of their 28 pending trademark applications and will proceed with a name change for their product. We could not have done this without your help!

Sanity prevailed it seems.
andrewj

Postby charlie » 12 Nov 2014, 11:12

Yeah I think they went in to this a bit ignorantly and soon realised they were fighting a cause, not a company (which I'm sure they'd crush if they felt they were big enough).
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 12 Nov 2014, 17:22

Neat donation drive for gnome though... a $100,000 they can now use for the foundation.

Maybe open-source games should invent fake trademark fights with EA etc. to get a lot of donations from outraged people :D
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Akien » 12 Nov 2014, 22:04

Julius {l Wrote}:Neat donation drive for gnome though... a $100,000 they can now use for the foundation.

Maybe open-source games should invent fake trademark fights with EA etc. to get a lot of donations from outraged people :D

Hehe :-)
Now that I donated some bucks to a desktop environment that I never used, I guess I should make a donation to KDE :-)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien