VirtuChat 1 a big world..

VirtuChat 1 a big world..

Postby sorensendk » 23 Aug 2020, 07:26

Hi here :) ..

I just want to show you my project and at the same time show that the good old 'Torque game engine' can still make its mark with 3D graphics on PC.

My project is called 'VirtuChat 1' and comes from the original VirtuChat, which was a 'multiplayer' online game dating back to 2003.
After a good 10 years, the game 'died out' due to server problems and lack of participation, among other things.

I have now taken up the aging game again, but this time have turned it into 'a pure sigleplayer game' without servers.

You are welcome to visit VirtuChat's very large 3D world by following this 'link thread' and move on from there:
http://www.virtuchat.com/filer/index.html

The game takes up about 1 GB. as a ZIP file and is completely free.

The game does not have to be 'installed in the normal way', just unpacked to a place in your PC with an Icon for 'VirtuChat.exe' and started from there. Once you are tired of the game, simply delete the 'main folder'.

I can not offer a complete listing of the entire 'game scripting' for the entire VirtuChat, but for those who want to play with the game code, here is a link to one of my tools, complete with 'game script code' and built-in script compiler plus explanatory help:
http://www.virtuchat.com/filer/VirtuChatTest.zip

PS: The game is without commercial interests and is solely my personal hobby project. Hope you like it and comments here are very welcome.

Best regards, Jan :) .
sorensendk

Re: VirtuChat 1 a big world..

Postby Julius » 23 Aug 2020, 15:40

Could you please also link to the source code? I assume this uses the open source Torque3D MIT version now?

If the source code isn't available, it is sadly off topic for this forum. Also I would strongly discurage people to run a .exe from a random source on the Internet with no source code available to compile it yourself ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby sorensendk » 23 Aug 2020, 19:13

No I can only refer to 'game scripts', not the code for the Torque engine itself. It is about 20 years old (also used for the game Tribes) and is no longer traded by GG.
I just wanted to show for fun that the old engine could do a little more.
So maybe my post should be moved to 'off topic' or deleted completely? :|
sorensendk

Postby Julius » 23 Aug 2020, 19:22

They actually made a later version of it open source and handed it over to the community: http://torque3d.org/

If you want to look into porting your Torque-script code base ;)

Still would be nice if you could open source the scripts under a Free Software license.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby sorensendk » 23 Aug 2020, 21:03

Yes I could probably without the big problems 'transfer' my game scripts to Torque 3D and use 'Github'.
But since I have no intentions of making 'a new revolutionary game', but only as described show that the 20 year old machine 'are still going strong', then that is not exactly the way for me.

Okay back in 2003 I bought the license for TGE and I have all the source codes (in C ++ / .cc), but if I just have to 'share them right and left', I'm not sure and I do not know how.
My knowledge in this 'licensing field' is quite thin :| :) .
sorensendk

Postby Julius » 24 Aug 2020, 00:47

Ok, moving this to Off-Topic then.

As for porting to Torque3D MIT: No you can not share the original older engine legally, but you might be able to run your scripts on the new open-source engine. Although I have heared to has diverged quite significantly from earlier commercial closed source versions.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby sorensendk » 27 Aug 2020, 07:45

Hi again here :) .

First thanks for your comments.

Maybe from the beginning I have expressed myself a little wrong with my presentation in the forum.
I just chose this forum because I know that there are not only people here as gamers, but mostly people who make games with technical insight and maybe bring our ideas forward.

My intention is not to publish or further develop on VirtuChat 1. But only to show our work with the old Torque TGE graphics engine we made all the way back from around 2003 and at the same time show that it can make a reasonably good graphics, even by today's standards. So let's call it 'showcase a museum game'

To accomplish this, I had to 'remove' the multiplayer part because VirtuChatten would only be able to work with multiple servers plus a master server running if it was to work in its old form.

About VirtuChatten itself:
VirtuChatten is a very big world, with both an 'adventure part' and a part that takes place out in space, things that can not just be described better without even traveling around in there.

I hope my explanation is reasonably complete about my dear VirtuChat.
I can only say look in, despite the aging system, there is a lot to experience.

Jan :) .
sorensendk