Do you suffer pain when using keyboard and mouse?

Do you suffer pain when using keyboard and mouse?

Postby Lyberta » 26 Jun 2020, 23:41

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 04:21, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Re: Do you suffer pain when using keyboard and mouse?

Postby Julius » 27 Jun 2020, 00:51

Yes, I 100% agree, keys should be rebindable and mouse should be ambidextrous (although I am right handed and use WASD). And really interface design should go the extra mile of catering to "lefties" as well.

While not totally relevant to your case, forcing left handed people to use the right hand has been a very bad and abusive practice in many European countries really not all that long ago (my parents generation) and luckily it is now being recognized for the real damage it can cause.

But please don't take naive ignorance by "righties" as anything but that :)

However dis-comfort in using screen and input devices can also come from many, many, other things (seats, tables, badly placed screens etc.). While you are young it doesn't seem to matter all the much, but once you hit your thirties (or a bit older if you are lucky) you really need to make a conscious effort to ergonomically arrange the place you are likely spending many hours a day in. The earlier you start with it the less discomfort and pain you will have.

P.S.: Red-Green blindness is real and is surprisingly wide spread. Also not personally effected, but I have some friends that are...
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby GunChleoc » 27 Jun 2020, 13:20

You could try getting a split keyboard so you can switch the right and left sides. This will of course only work if it's not slanted. Your wife can then switch them back when she's using the computer.

I work a lot with the touch pad, and really hate 2-finger scrolling, because it hurts my hand. Fortunately, Linux drivers let you switch back to edge scrolling. It's right-handed only though for the vertical scroll, so I recommend you do get a mouse.

BTW you can connect 2 mice with the computer if you have enough USB ports, so you could get an ergonomic left-hand mouse four yourself and a right-hand mouse for your wife. I tend to have 2 mice hooked up in case one of my hands gets tired, then I can switch sides for a bit.

Here's an article by a graphics tablet user you might find useful: https://www.davidrevoy.com/article761/k ... tall-guide
GunChleoc

Postby Lyberta » 28 Jun 2020, 02:02

Deleted.
Lyberta

Postby GunChleoc » 28 Jun 2020, 08:35

I was just thinking, if you put the mouse beside you instead in front of you, that would change your neck and shoulder posture. It might help or not. Like this:

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
--------------------------------------
Desk with keyboard & monitor
--------------------------------------
| Mouse | > Chair <
| on    |
| Side  |
| Table |

The height of the table and of the monitor also matters.

You could also try sitting on a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_ball and try to straighten your back, because it also affects your neck. Optimally, you would be sitting somewhat higher than the height of your knees, with your legs slightly apart. Really sitting straight is something one actually needs to be taught by an expert.

You should also get up regularly and exercise your back, neck and arms. Every 15 minutes would be good, but that takes watching the clock 100% of the time (not ideal), so just do it whenever you think of it. Pinwheeling your arms should be a simple enough exercise that shouldn't screw things up even worse. Getting some proper physiotherapy from somebody who knows what they're doing is what you really need though to perform the best exercises for fixing your condition and to perform them correctly.
GunChleoc

Postby Lyberta » 01 Jul 2020, 10:50

Deleted.
Lyberta

Postby Lyberta » 08 Aug 2020, 05:48

Deleted.
Lyberta

Postby rogerdv » 08 Aug 2020, 17:18

Lyberta {l Wrote}:
Julius {l Wrote}:While not totally relevant to your case, forcing left handed people to use the right hand has been a very bad and abusive practice in many European countries really not all that long ago (my parents generation) and luckily it is now being recognized for the real damage it can cause.

Anyway, I bought an ambidexstrous mouse and now use it with my left hand. Now my main problem is the keyboard. Expect another big writeup later.

Which one? I need one like that, but have not enough internet hours to spend looking for the right one. My wrists hurt a lot because long years of using inadequate table at home. I invested in a new table when had the money, but it came too late to solve my problems. What I do is to alternate both hands in the mouse and take days of no work at home (no gaming, no writing, no programming, just watch movies or whatever).
rogerdv

Postby Lyberta » 10 Aug 2020, 11:31

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 04:22, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby rogerdv » 10 Aug 2020, 20:17

Not interested in gaming features. Probably wont be doing any gaming with mouse in a lot of years. Currently I do mostly writing and game programing (with some scene design and other simple tasks). Will get an Xbox One controller for gaming.
rogerdv

Postby Roosje » 19 Aug 2020, 08:10

Hey guys i am Roosje and i too experience similar problems since I spend most of my time on my computer. There are two main reasons why using a mouse and keyboard regularly can cause discomfort and pain. First, using a mouse requires a person to make small, exact movements with their hand, fingers, and thumb. By positioning, travelling, scrolling, and clicking the mouse again and again, the same small muscles can become tired and overworked. This overuse can cause: Pain (ache, soreness)on the top of the hand, around the wrist and along the forearm and elbow. One may also experience a burning, stiffness, restricted range of motion and numbness and tingling in the thumb and index finger. Some keyboards have very rigid buttons which adds on to the agony of using the mouse.
The complete elimination of aches, pains, and WMSD may not be possible, but choosing the right mouse and keyboard, positioning it properly, and being aware of how you are holding your body and using your muscles can all help.
Roosje