For those interested in the FSF's Four Freedoms: amendment

Re: For those interested in the FSF's Four Freedoms: amendme

Postby freemedia2018 » 13 Dec 2019, 15:31

drummyfish {l Wrote}:SW should only do exactly as much as is needed, should require as little as possible resources to run, maintenance, time to understand the source, effort to modify etc.

The tricky bit for making SW only do exactly as much as is needed, is that it varies from person to person. Screen readers are a great example.

Modularity is the typical way you make it minimal for different users. At any rate, I know you are pro-modularity, based on other topics on this very forum.
freemedia2018

Postby Lyberta » 14 Dec 2019, 21:53

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby freemedia2018 » 14 Dec 2019, 22:21

Lyberta {l Wrote}:Impossible.

Text - Unicode is very complex.
Graphics - even color is very complex, you have color models, color spaces, gamma encoding...
Audio - pretty complex, you have bit depths, frame rate, number of channels, you have to remember Nyquist limit and keep your algorithms bandlimited...

Lyberta is making a pretty classic (and in the context it is made, fairly indisputable) argument around the undeniable fact that features get more and more complex to support. What drummy says amounts to "Features? we dont need no steenking features!" and to some degree, I sympathise:

For me the trick is to do something substantial to appease the features crowd, they never ever let up and if you give them nothing, they are worse. Gaming in particular, is an industry that relies heavily on features to make things appealing enough to invest money and time and hardware in. With that said, if we do not make a significant platform for drummys resistance of features (the freedom to NOT run the software) then we will be dragged along by features for eternity. Part of the essence of freedom is the choice, which freedom 3 says we have a right to change, but nobody cares about that anymore-- which is why it suffers so badly.
freemedia2018