The disaster of PayPal (for PinePhone purchase)

The disaster of PayPal (for PinePhone purchase)

Postby Lyberta » 19 Nov 2019, 04:20

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Re: The disaster of PinePhone

Postby Julius » 19 Nov 2019, 09:54

You are really complaining about PayPal ;)

I was also considering to order one, but this is the brave heart edition shipping directly from Hong Kong, thus you will likely also have to deal with all sorts of border control tax issues.

At least here in the EU it is usually better to wait for resellers to have these on stock and order from there in a few months.

In the mean time I refurbished an old Nexus5 and run Ubunutu Touch on it. Quite happy overall, despite smaller issues that still need improved support.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Lyberta » 19 Nov 2019, 17:12

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Wuzzy » 19 Nov 2019, 21:11

Heh. I fully understand your rage. PayPal isn't exactly a trustworthy company. They're basically a bank masquerading as a payment processor, so they don't have to follow rules that banks need to follow. They have also a past of freezing user's accounts, denying your access to “your” money (there were some prominent cases, look them up). And it can be a huge fight to get it back. Trusting your money to PayPal is a gamble, to put it mildly. It's absolutely justifiable to hate on PayPal and avoid it like the plague, and that's without even looking at FOSS arguments.

If PayPal is really the only method to send them money, that would suck. But yeah, that's my policy, too. PayPal-only = no money from me.

"PayPal is hostile" -- Maybe so, but it is by far the easiest to use from the average user's perspective. We're here for all people who want to use the hardware, not only the hardline FOSS types.

Well, that person just failed to understand the problem. The issue is not just FOSS but more like “I don't trust my money to PayPal” if I understand correctly. I am not happy with them downplaying this so much. Do they offer any alternative to PayPal, at least? Then this argument would at least make sense. If not, then this is just a shitty justification. But well, if they don't want your money … :D

"Google ads/analytics" -- We don't serve ads on our site, and never will. Period. Any scripts you see of the type have been from an embedded YouTube video in the "Projects that blew us away" section of the front page. This has been a continuing source of complaints, so I have now replaced the embed with a image link to the video itself.

Well, that's a small victory. :)
The less embedded scripting crap from e.g. Google, the better.
Wuzzy

Postby Lyberta » 20 Nov 2019, 00:54

Deleted.
Lyberta