Mobile game development board

Re: Mobile game development board

Postby Julius » 07 Sep 2019, 12:56

I am actually wondering when/why people watch such video tutorials (in general, not yours specifically)... it seem like something more geared towards watching on the go while in a train or some other similar time. And then enlargements definitely help. However, usually there is little point in watching these tutorials on the go as you are not actually able to practically follow them... and at least in my opinion it is much more convenient to have a text tutorial if you want to implement something anyways. Yet they seem to be strangely popular... maybe I am just too old for YouTube ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby freemedia2018 » 07 Sep 2019, 13:06

If there was a Youtube for text-- I think Google has tried that and failed more than once.

Not said as a fan of Google, but someone who understands the relevance of Youtube.

I think making a video is more work, but I suspect many find it more natural than writing.
freemedia2018

Postby Lyberta » 07 Sep 2019, 16:32

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 04:36, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Julius » 07 Sep 2019, 16:48

Lyberta {l Wrote}:You can do other stuff while listening. Reading is much harder.

Yeah, my point. But how are you going to implement/follow a how-to while doing something else on the side?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fluffrabbit » 07 Sep 2019, 20:48

My neighbors are being loud Mexicans ATM so I'll have to defer thinking to a later time.

I also use Shotcut.

Videos allow one to derive entertainment from the medium itself, I think. It's a sort of movement/sound fetish that young people seem to have. The "Let's Try" format is supposed to help one experience the dead ends and various problems along the way rather than skipping them. Pain is the only way to learn.
fluffrabbit

Postby GunChleoc » 07 Sep 2019, 22:10

Your problem with the slug thing would be interesting to those who develop the tool - it would inform them that there needs to need more explanation. I already know what a slug is, so there was nothing for me to learn from your problem there. Since I only watched your video out of idle curiosity and to see if I can give some feedback, the pain became more than it's worth.

Videos can certainly be helpful - a picture say more than a 1000 words and all that - but I always hate sitting through information that's irrelevant to me personally. In a written text that is properly structured, I can simply skip ahead to the information that I need.
GunChleoc

Postby fluffrabbit » 08 Sep 2019, 06:40

I hope that the React Native developers watch and know what to fix.

Part 4 is an interesting showcase of how slow the process can be in general.
fluffrabbit

Postby fluffrabbit » 09 Sep 2019, 12:40

I have an hour's worth of footage ready for the next episode, except it's full of nothing but failure. It seems I am not alone when it comes to stumbling over the React Native + actual native libraries combination.

if you don't want to use ExpoKit — leave your project as it is and link native libraries yourself, not using expo-cli, expokit or installDevMinSdkDevKernelDebug Gradle task.

Right, so I'd better get those JARs and do it the ol' fashioned way.
fluffrabbit