Internet in 2019

Internet in 2019

Postby cynicfm » 28 Mar 2019, 11:05

Heyy

Everything has been google'fied, amazon'ed and facebook'd. It is better to live without it today, and also european union should do something about US and Chinese corporationsdata collection from Europeans. If you wanna play a game and download it, there's google recaptcha on every website, apart from sourgeforgen on every popular windows games websites: Path Of Exile, RuneScape, League of Legends and others... Logging in to itch platform requiries it too, it's crazy. In terms of linux games mana world has it too!! Registration on lots of forums requiries google recaptcha to be filled as well.. There were lots of forums that were independently created in EU they got closed down and now only ones that exist are those which have google recaptcha and also ones that fit americans standards of internet.

There is also youtube and other social media stuff that just suck your time endlessly like a parasite....

I think it's time to stop using internet as much as possible for better state of mind... Internet is also full of useless information that are supposed to make you feel down, depressed and give you envy, because there is lots about what other people have and you must know about it and think how miserable you are because of this. Without internet life and planet + people would be better.
Is there any way to use internet without speaking to corps like amazon or google, probably not
cynicfm

Re: Internet in 2019

Postby Julius » 28 Mar 2019, 12:22

Google captcha really helps with forum spam. Here the first post is always on approval and hidden to non-moderators and we sadly get a lot of spam :(

The bad thing is that google uses some algorithm to determine the level of captcha based on the network you are connecting through so if you are connecting from some third world country (or ToR) to get ridiculous levels of captcha layers, while someone connecting from a network in the EU or US rarely ever gets hassled by it.

Other than that... yeah probably good to tune out for a while if the internet is mainly a source of stress for you. Hiking in the mountains can do wonders :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby cynicfm » 28 Mar 2019, 13:31

Oh yeah, of course ;). It's far to get to the mountains though ;). Maybe one day though.
The stress is also a factor that comes with these popular windows games that i have played for long time, this is why linux games come in hand to try something completely different.

There were 90s back in a days, windows XP, times where i used computer, played games and enjoyed all of it without being constantly connected to internet, this is just memories... But this is what i wish came back... (I regret that i have never tried linux back then though).
This is the intention that i look for, is to design a linux distribution (or rather get one and obtain all apps i need) for my own needs so i stop thinking about going online, so i can occupy my time with offline stuff. Nowadays everybody, even linux users are connected to internet all the time, this is normal of course, but my intention is to use it only to like download stuff from respositories for example or upload something or write on forums. I started to keep thinking that internet as source of information is not the best stuff, mostly because it is free in terms that u can use it but then advertisements, data collecting... If you buy books nobody knows what you read about.
If i type in search engine: Coding games for linux then this info goes to some servers and then some corp knows what my interests are, this is very creepy ;/.
There's arch based distribution here on the device. The fact is that i still don't know what i am looking for, but there is huge aur collection out there, so that is nice.

Although the topic is about internet, i think it is terrifying how everything becomes google'fied, basically everybody's activity on internet, info about it, goes to america...
For most people this is normal thing and they don't think about this, but for me this is a problem to see google services everywhere, advertisements, data mining, all this stuff...
I played xonotic this morning and also downloaded other game Warsow?? I wonder if they can be played online then is the data about players going somewhere too???

And i feel like i wanna take a step closer towards coding so i wonder if getting some generic book about python, lua or whatever will make me become some xperienced coder so i can spend whole day just writing something without even being online. It is nice that forum like that exists where i can write about my thoughts...

I wonder how people on here teach themselves to develop stuff ;).
cynicfm

Postby Julius » 28 Mar 2019, 13:40

cynicfm {l Wrote}:I played xonotic this morning and also downloaded other game Warsow?? I wonder if they can be played online then is the data about players going somewhere too???

Yes, both have a build in player statistics system that by default sends the results of online matches to a server run by the developers. IMHO not bad per se, but I heard people complain about it. I think in Xonotic it is relatively easy to disable.

cynicfm {l Wrote}:And i feel like i wanna take a step closer towards coding so i wonder if getting some generic book about python, lua or whatever will make me become some xperienced coder so i can spend whole day just writing something without even being online. It is nice that forum like that exists where i can write about my thoughts...

I wonder how people on here teach themselves to develop stuff ;).

Humblebundle.com often has pay-what-you-want ebook bundles ($1 minimum and multiple tiers), where you can download DRM free ebooks for learning coding. Right now they have one on web-programming and another one on general programming, but the bundles are always time limited.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Lyberta » 28 Mar 2019, 17:32

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 04:47, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby cynicfm » 29 Mar 2019, 15:15

Lyberta {l Wrote}:Debian has hidden service mirrors so you can download packages without leaving Darknet, here's a snippet of my sources.list:

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
#deb tor+http://vwakviie2ienjx6t.onion/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
#deb-src tor+http://vwakviie2ienjx6t.onion/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

#deb tor+http://ktqxbqrhg5ai2c7f.onion/debian-debug/ testing-debug main

Remove # and add them to your current lines to see how it goes, you may also want to change the name of the distribution. Too bad hidden service goes down frequently for some reason so I switched back to clearnet address for now.

That's solid stuff. I use arch linux based distros though although before that there was devuan on the laptop for months but somebody told me that their devs upload stuff to repositories using tor and that it's hard to trust them or something. Don't like systemd stuff

Well, somebody stated on internet that the best way to protect yourself is to go offline.
cynicfm