POLL Do you want RTX? Cross-website-post.

Are you interested in buying a GPU with RTX?

Poll ended at 28 Feb 2019, 17:44

Yes, if it's in a different product so that I can buy it separately.
No votes
Yes, if it's in the same product so that I must buy it if I purchase a GPU.
50%
No, the cost would have to be 2x less.
No votes
No, the cost would have to be 5x less.
No votes
No, It's just a hype.
No votes
No, the performance is too low. It must be 10x faster to be worth it.
No votes
No, the performance is too low. It must be 100x faster to be worth it.
50%
No, I don't play games (Lier :) ).
No votes
I'll wait till all the bugs are worked out, then I'll buy.
No votes

Total votes : 2

POLL Do you want RTX? Cross-website-post.

Postby ballsystemlord » 18 Feb 2019, 17:44

Hey, I heard from 1 of the people that do HW reviews that AMD was considering implementing their very own Ray Tracing eXtensions and looking at what people think of RTX.
I got 5 votes in 23 hours at LQ :( so I'm trying to reach a larger audience by posting here. Please vote only on 1 site.
If the RTX GPU has Linux support and some games to play would you purchase a GPU with RTX or RTX like HW?
Bear in mind that AFAIK current Nvidia GPU's do RTX by partially ray tracing the scene (shadows only), at a low resolution. Then use an AI to fill in the missing shadow pixels and finally use the AI (through DLSS), to blow the image way up to 1080p at an astounding ~30fps (in Shadow if the Tomb Raider) :oops: !!! Other (FLOSS) implementations appear to have better performance! http://brechpunkt.de/q2vkpt/
My intention is to give AMD some idea of what you guys think.
Some people who have replied thus far think RTX is marketing jargon and/or that this poll is intended to force a technology upon companies.
RTX is not jargon, it is a large portion of current Nvidia GPU's die space. You pay for it.
As for forcing, that was *never* my intention. With AMD about ~1 month ago getting freesync support merged into their driver (leaving the only major thing left being Radeon Chill AFAIK), now is a time when we are considered relevant, at least by one company and have the chance to be included in the conversation!

I'm assuming that if you don't know what RTX is that you want to do your own independent research, but for the lazy here are 2 excellent talks on the matter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrF4k6wJ-do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT2o_FpNM4g

Feel free to comment also!

Note to voters: Most of the answers that are "no..." become "yes..." if/when Nvidia and AMD do fix the stated problem. And I have listed the common ones.
ballsystemlord

Re: POLL Do you want RTX? Cross-website-post.

Postby Lyberta » 19 Feb 2019, 02:16

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 04:47, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby dulsi » 19 Feb 2019, 03:01

I don't think you will get more responses here but I could be wrong.

I like playing games but I don't chase the high end. I haven't really done 3D work and probably won't be jumping on RTX. However, I would love to see AMD implement something comparable so that we can get a standard API to access it regardless of vendor.
dulsi

Postby ballsystemlord » 19 Feb 2019, 05:05

Lyberta {l Wrote}:The missing option is "No, Nvidia are the worst and intentionally broke Nouveau driver by requiring signed firmware, I will never buy from them".

We are commenting on, about, and for, *both* companies, not just Nvidia. Pick your favorite and vote with them in mind.
ballsystemlord

Postby Lyberta » 19 Feb 2019, 11:59

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 04:47, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby ballsystemlord » 19 Feb 2019, 14:50

Lyberta {l Wrote}:Then it's a bit harder to vote. I'd say when 200$ card can give 100 fps at 2560x1440 with a free driver, sure, I'd use it, otherwise, no. FPS is more important than graphical quality.

Then "No, the performance is too low. It must be 100x faster to be worth it." would be your answer because then even the cheaper cards would have great performance before you bought (It would, in time, become, "Yes, now the performance is 100x faster and the mid range cards can do 2560x1440").
ballsystemlord

Postby GunChleoc » 19 Feb 2019, 18:06

I don't have a box to stick it in... I think pursuing the technology is a good idea though, if we can end up with a common and open standard.
GunChleoc

Postby Jastiv » 21 Feb 2019, 18:19

I've played both 2d and 3d games, and I honestly find I prefer 2d perspectives. I don't like that chasing characters around with the camera and trying to find the right angle so someone doesn't stab you in the back. It isn't just a graphics thing, its a game mechanics thing.
Jastiv

Postby ballsystemlord » 27 Feb 2019, 23:25

The poll should end tonight (in about 6 and 1/2 hours).
If you did not vote yet you still have a chance.
ballsystemlord

Postby SecureUvula » 11 Mar 2019, 17:06

I only check the forum every few weeks, so I couldn't vote.

I target low-end hardware because I believe that if my games are gratis, they shouldn't have a hidden hardware fee that I can't even collect on. Sponsoring the hardware treadmill is only going to contribute to an anti-competitive monoculture where the 1 or 2 biggest companies collect all the profit and indie consoles like the DragonBox Pyra are left out.

So I'm running everything on my Intel iGPU, and my Nvidia card is collecting dust because it sucks up too much power, even when idle.
https://activated-onion.itch.io/ "Not only does she do it for free, she doesn't do it at all."
SecureUvula

Postby Lyberta » 12 Mar 2019, 01:02

Deleted.
Lyberta