Minecraft?

Minecraft?

Postby Gamora » 27 Sep 2021, 13:24

Was Minecraft a better game before it got sold to Microsoft?
Gamora

Re: Minecraft?

Postby Julius » 27 Sep 2021, 17:02

Minetest is the better one anyways :p
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby mdtrooper » 19 Oct 2021, 13:08

Which game is from Micro$oft? Because all famous games "from Micro$oft" such as Age of empires is from Ensemble Studios, Halo is from Bungie Studios, Minecraft is from Mojang, Midtown Madness is from Angels Studios....
And I have a Patreon in https://www.patreon.com/migueldedios.
mdtrooper

Postby HallowedTux » 31 Jul 2022, 06:03

Minetest is obviously not that better than Minecraft...
Bold, bold bold - BOLD!!!!!!!
HallowedTux

Postby HallowedTux » 21 Aug 2022, 07:12

Plus, M1cr0$0f7 is way worse than has normal, i would suggest minecraft even though it is not easily moddable and it can handle mods being put in it once at ta time, at least thats what i think.
Bold, bold bold - BOLD!!!!!!!
HallowedTux

Postby forty_sham » 04 Oct 2022, 21:50

Although Minecraft is proprietary, which no doubt is one of its downsides, I generally look favorably upon it since they seem more generous than, say, Nintendo, in that they are more welcoming towards fanmade content (although they typically oppose utilization of official Minecraft assets, as is described in particular Minecraft legal documents) and at one point they licensed some of their (Java Edition) libraries under the MIT license. I read that Notch apparently had intended to release Minecraft as open source, possibly public domain, after popularity died down. This didn't end up happening, obviously, and although some people appear to accuse Notch of breaking his promise, I generally think that the reason this didn't end up happening is that Minecraft's popularity didn't really die down all that much, and that's generally why Notch sold Minecraft to Microsoft to begin with. Even while Minecraft didn't end up becoming public domain during the Notch era, Notch didn't really care that Minecraft was being pirated, while Microsoft obviously does not share his opinion.

Minetest is a very good program, and the fact that it is FOSS is an advantage over Minecraft. However, although it is very good, it still might lack some of Minecraft's charm in some areas, although I guess this is partly because Minetest doesn't seek to entirely copy Minecraft. Minetest is more of a game engine of sorts, and to me is kind of like a mix of Minecraft and Roblox in that it obviously takes inspiration from Minecraft in name, style, and many other aspects, and that, like Roblox, it serves as a platform for games rather than simply being a game by itself (even though Minetest typically provides Minetest Game and Development Test [formerly providing Minimal Development Test] by default.) It is not entirely like either one of those games (for example, Minetest does not seem to have a main in-game currency, a feature of the Bedrock version of Minecraft [but not Java] and Roblox), but nonetheless it shares aspects of the two programs. Therefore, it would be unfair to judge Minetest as if it were merely a clone of Minecraft, since at least at this point it is not following that purpose. We can still make judgements about whether Minetest or Minecraft is the better program, but it ought to be kept in mind that they are seeking different goals.

In short, Minecraft is proprietary but has been somewhat more generous than other proprietary games (it was arguably more generous in the Notch era, although even in the Microsoft era it is still more or less somewhat generous), while Minetest is a very good FOSS program but does not seek to necessarily "replace" Minecraft, so whether one or the other is better could be a somewhat complex debate.
forty_sham

Postby bzt » 04 Oct 2022, 23:30

forty_sham {l Wrote}:Minetest is a very good program, and the fact that it is FOSS is an advantage over Minecraft. However, although it is very good, it still might lack some of Minecraft's charm in some areas, although I guess this is partly because Minetest doesn't seek to entirely copy Minecraft.
All that's true. However because it's more like an engine with limitless modding capability, there are mods which indeed try to copy Minecraft's charm. Have you tried Mineclone2? It's admitted goal is to mimic all features of Minecraft (a specific version at least). And there's also Mineclone5, which is more forgiving about its contents, everything goes as long as it gives the Minecraft vibe. These mods were already very good, but they recently got a lots of updates and are nearly in feature-parity with the original. And I don't know how good Mineclonia is, but that's also a mod which focuses on being Minecraft as much as possible (but it's main goal is effectiveness and stability).

So although it is true that Minetest isn't about imitating Minecraft in general (it has a bigger picture), there are Minetest mods which specifically do that.

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby forty_sham » 05 Oct 2022, 00:01

bzt {l Wrote}:[B]ecause it's more like an engine with limitless modding capability, there are mods which indeed try to copy Minecraft's charm. Have you tried Mineclone2? It's admitted goal is to mimic all features of Minecraft (a specific version at least).
I have, in fact, played Mineclone2. It's pretty good at giving a Minecraft-like experience. There was something about thunderstorms which I felt was a bit strange in that lightning strikes were extremely frequent, though. I'm unsure if that's changed, but although strictly speaking there isn't much wrong with creating that kind of frequency for games in general, I thought the frequency was strikingly (slight pun intended) different from that of Minecraft's lightning strikes. I still congratulate Wuzzy for creating an overall interesting imitation.
bzt {l Wrote}:And there's also Mineclone5, which is more forgiving about its contents, everything goes as long as it gives the Minecraft vibe. These mods were already very good, but they recently got a lots of updates and are nearly in feature-parity with the original. And I don't know how good Mineclonia is, but that's also a mod which focuses on being Minecraft as much as possible (but it's main goal is effectiveness and stability).
I've heard of Mineclone5, although I don't think I've gotten around to playing it. I don't think I've heard of Mineclonia, although I guess it might be something worth looking into.
forty_sham

Postby Granite » 07 Oct 2022, 01:35

what the hell
i dont understand any of this :?
i have a youtube channel
called "The Supa Ducky"!!!

link to my channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcqDi5 ... zEkDp9mn1w
Granite

Postby PeterX » 07 Oct 2022, 09:29

The answer to your question is "No" imo.
PeterX

Postby bzt » 07 Oct 2022, 10:42

Granite {l Wrote}:what the hell
i dont understand any of this :?
Minetest itself is more like an engine which provides an empty voxel world without any rules. Thanks to its Lua interface, it has an enormous modding capability, and has zillion of mods. Using those mods you can provide different world elements and rules, and with those you can create many different games, like tower defense, snake, sudoku, dynablaster whatever.

Of course, you can create survival-type games too. Mineclone2 is a collection of mods with the explicit goal of providing a Minecraft like gameplay. But there are other survival games, less similar to MC (like Exile or Moontest for example).

Does this now make sense to you?

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby Granite » 07 Oct 2022, 18:39

yes. but still. wtf
i have a youtube channel
called "The Supa Ducky"!!!

link to my channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcqDi5 ... zEkDp9mn1w
Granite