OpenArena Disscusion in FreeGameDev?

OpenArena Disscusion in FreeGameDev?

Postby dupertux34 » 07 May 2022, 19:27

OpenArena forums are no longer open for registration so can we put a new one here?
dupertux34

Re: OpenArena Disscusion in FreeGameDev?

Postby Julius » 07 May 2022, 19:52

Yeah, probably not given that there has been so much drama around OpenArena.

If someone wants to make a clean fork and stay clear of the original developers maybe, but IMHO probably best to contribute to another libre FPS like Xonotic or Unvaquished or so.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby leilei » 15 May 2022, 09:30

The forum's still up but registration closed as it's still a good place for editing information. The active community effectively moved to discord now, as per natural fate for all internet gaming fora.

The reboot's still coming, progress is just slow as i'm the only artist around, and this thing called time. There's so much technical debt and bad art around, it's not a problem that can be resolved overnight with RMS mantras. Every fork that has happened just repacked copyrighted materials. Many don't get thie point.

Julius {l Wrote}:Yeah, probably not given that there has been so much drama around OpenArena.

If someone wants to make a clean fork and stay clear of the original developers maybe, but IMHO probably best to contribute to another libre FPS like Xonotic or Unvaquished or so.

:rolleyes:
leilei

Postby Julius » 15 May 2022, 10:19

Cool! I am still looking forward to the reboot even though I kinda stopped following what was happening in the OA community a while ago.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby dupertux34 » 15 May 2022, 21:59

leilei {l Wrote}:The reboot's still coming, progress is just slow as i'm the only artist around, and this thing called time. There's so much technical debt and bad art around, it's not a problem that can be resolved overnight with RMS mantras. Every fork that has happened just repacked copyrighted materials. Many don't get thie point. :

Never knew the reboot was ever being made, i just thought it was an idea and they just left it, after looking around i saw some screenshots of the rocket launcher, which just shows a glimpse of the game, can you tell us how much of the game has been finished?
dupertux34