Removal of PrefixTree.cpp == console autocompletition

Removal of PrefixTree.cpp == console autocompletition

Postby paul424 » 05 May 2014, 22:54

Woops , seems you removed my auto-completition for console cmds :( .

@Bertram : sorry for removing your message :

I have the mail permission from that guy to use it under GPL , I send him mail and he returned me permission :

Dzień dobry,

Piszę sobie gierkę openSource na licencji GPL o tytule OpenDungeons : http://opendungeons.sourceforge.net/. Ostatnio potrzebowałem uzupełniać komendy w konsoli, więc rozejrzałem się za jakimiś drzewami prefiksowymi i odnalazłem Pana kod na SF. Po bliższym zaznajomieniu się z licencją w plikach nagłówkowych pisze Pan ogólnikowo, że każda licencja będzie dobra jeśli :

* Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are
* permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
* 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of
* conditions and the following disclaimer.
* 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list
* of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials
* provided with the distribution.
* THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY COPYRIGHT HOLDER ''AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
* WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
* FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR
* CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
* CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
* SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON
* ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
* NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF
* ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
* The views and conclusions contained in the software and documentation are those of the
* authors and should not be interpreted as representing official policies, either expressed
* or implied, of copyright holder.
*/

Wszystko byłoby dobrze, gdyby nie to, że na SF w polu 'license' dał Pan BSD.

Orginalna licencja BSD nie jest kompatibilna z GPL , zaś 'revised BSD license ' jest :\

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#OrigBSD

Nie jestem prawnikiem , ani nadgorliwcem ,ale Opendungeons nie jest tylko moim projektem , i nie mogę dodawać kodu o wątpliwej licenc

Czy może Pan zmienić licencję na GPL albo revisedBSD , albo dać mi po prostu zgodę na zamieszczenie kodu w OD , oczywiście zachowując Pana preambułę w kodzie źródłowym .

Pozdrawiam Tomasz Luchowski .
Jakub St. <thumren@gmail.com>

To whcih he replied :

do mnie

Przetłumacz wiadomość
Wyłącz dla następującego języka: angielski

Wyrażam zgodę na użycie całości lub części kodu z projektu PrefixTree oraz dowolne jego zmiany w ramach projektu OpenDungeons.

Bardzo się cieszę, że komuś może się to przydać. Za użycie mojego kodu w otwartym projekcie na pewno nie będę robić nikomu żadnych problemów. Powodzenia w pracach nad grą. Proszę dać znać jeśli konieczna jest zmiana licencji. Nie bardzo się w tym orientuje.

Pozdrawiam,
Kuba Stępień
4 sty 2013 23:38, "Tomasz gooogle_sucks" <tomluchowski@gmail.com> napisał(a):

What else he should do , why does oln now rise the problem ? That we are fine from the formal legislative site ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Re: Removal of PrefixTree.cpp == console autocompletition

Postby Bertram » 06 May 2014, 09:47

Hi Paul,

I have the mail permission from that guy to use it under GPL , I send him mail and he returned me permission :

Sorry, but according to the answer given, that's wrong.

The author is telling you that you have the right to use his code in the OpenDungeons project but he doesn't say you have right to change the license to GPL.
He even ask you to tell him if you need to change the license:
Proszę dać znać jeśli konieczna jest zmiana licencji. Nie bardzo się w tym orientuje.

Thus, the code original license remains, and isn't GPL compatible AFAIK.

Could you ask the author about whether we could change the license to GPLv2/3?

I would happily revert my removal if you can get a word from him.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 09 May 2014, 16:25

Yeap , no answer from that guy after all the time ...
This plus the mouse auto-rotation are things which were removed and would help a lot in debugging slope walk ....
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 10 May 2014, 08:19

Hi Paul, :)

This plus the mouse auto-rotation are things which were removed and would help a lot in debugging slope walk ....

I don't see why command autocompletion would help besides being an ergonomic improvement.

As for camera movement, you can move the camera using the following keys:
(On a US Keyboard)
- WASD: move camera
- QE: rotate camera
- Home/end: move higher/lower
- Page up/page down: tilt.

The camera mouse hooks have been proven annoying when playing and badly done. They should be readded only as an option if you need them.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 11 May 2014, 12:18

Ohh God , could you restore all that to be at least available under certain console command ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 12 May 2014, 09:23

Nope, sorry. this is no open-sourced code. You'll have to either come with your own implementation, ask the guy to change his license or find something similar and open-source.

I can't spend time on this as I've already got a lot on my plate. :S

Now, if it can help you, you could revert all that in your own branch (not development, please), and work with it the time you're needing it?

regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 23 May 2014, 20:17

Now it works again , although there is additional tab injected between prefix and tab completed postfix :( ...
I did one to one interface compatibility, I have no idea where does that Tab come from ... Bertram : did you change anything around there ?
EDIT : Seems something important dragged Bertram away from the forum :)
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 26 May 2014, 14:26

I'm back for a few minutes. ;)

No idea where the tabs come from. I guess that's part of the adaptation's work?

Beware, in your latest commit, you made possible to go far too high when playing. NEVER change values to debug ones when committing!!

Paul, you should seriously start thinking about following the code guidelines when committing. I can't and won't be behind you each time to do clean ups.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 26 May 2014, 15:50

Sure, what I can say : it wasn't for debugging purposes , I wanted to show how high one can go with the camera with the Camera, when the Culling is on.
Unfortunatly one have to turn it on .... Looks like I achieved opposite effect than I intended , I wanted to please all others how the culling well is doing . Sorry for that , though it crashes on one particular case when both corners are || to the X Axis ( I must add this special case, that is make the algorithm EVEN MORE GENERAL ) I would love you have a look at what have been done so far ....
"I guess that's part of the adaptation's work?"

What do you mean by that ?
I had two equal interfaces with two PrefixTree implementations. Pinning one ends without additional TAB in the middle , with the second one -- opposite. Donno where the catch might be ....
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 26 May 2014, 16:44

Sure, what I can say : it wasn't for debugging purposes , I wanted to show how high one can go with the camera with the Camera, when the Culling is on.
Unfortunatly one have to turn it on .... Looks like I achieved opposite effect than I intended , I wanted to please all others how the culling well is doing . Sorry for that , though it crashes on one particular case when both corners are || to the X Axis ( I must add this special case, that is make the algorithm EVEN MORE GENERAL ) I would love you have a look at what have been done so far ....

Don't worry about that. Just try to discuss things first if you're going to change the gameplay. It seems to me you have difficulties with git sometimes. Is that true?

I'll have a look at it, especially now you made it really easy to enable it.

What do you mean by that ?
I had two equal interfaces with two PrefixTree implementations. Pinning one ends without additional TAB in the middle , with the second one -- opposite. Donno where the catch might be ....

I meant I supposed it's a matter to remove the /t characters in those cases. This might be needed in the new implementation, even if it wasn't in the old. I do prefer the new implementation btw.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby MCMic » 26 May 2014, 17:57

Paul, you’re putting tabs instead of spaces (or the other way around, but right now it’s mixed).
Plus, half the functions have a return type but no return. (please check your code does not trigger warnings before commit)
MCMic

Postby Bertram » 26 May 2014, 18:28

Just in case, it's spaces.
EDIT[from paul424] : Well on my OpenSuse system , it is a TAB which is being put into ( deleted by one backspace .... so by logic it is \t )
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 28 May 2014, 23:30

OK, finnaly THE JUMPING SPACE IS REMOVED , I 'm CLOSING THIS POST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 30 May 2014, 10:12

Congrats for reviving this with some GPL code! :)
Bertram
VT Moderator